Sign in with
Your question

Smart data reading, and sata drives recognized as scsi in XP problem

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2008 8:24:49 PM

First of all, I searched.Found nothing that could solve my problem.

And the problem is:

I have two hard disks in my PC: A Samsung Spinpoint, and a Seagate Barracuda. Both are SATA disks, the spinpoint being SATA II and the Seagate being a SATA I.

Anyway, my copy of Windows XP detects them as SCSI disks. Which they are not.

Also, if I try to use HD tune, Speedfan or any similar program to read S.M.A.R.T. data, or firmware information, I can only get the information for the Samsung,except in Lavalys Everest, which reads the firmware and type information for both discs but still can read the SMART data only from the samsung.

My relevant pc specifications:

Motherboard: ASRock AM2XLI-ESATA2
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6000+
HDD1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160211AS
HDD2: Samsung Spinpoint S HD161HJ

I hope there is someone who could help me out .

a b G Storage
February 10, 2008 10:59:27 PM

Windows reads SATA as SCSI. It is normal. Bill Gates is not known for his spelling. :) 

Cannot help with the Smart thing as I have no experience with Samsung drives.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
October 14, 2010 8:12:56 AM

It is normal that windows detect the drive as scsi because at the low level you dispose of two drivers but into the above layer only scsi is supported; that is when you read/write from/on the drive you generate scsi commands which will be translated in ATA commands and issue to the drive.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
October 14, 2010 8:17:11 AM

if you have to test your drive, you can install your drive in computer which running linux distribution and install smartmontools, and then run : smartctl -a /dev/sd* (where * can be "a" your first drive, or "b" your second drive, or "c" your third drive ......)
a c 385 G Storage
October 14, 2010 12:29:18 PM

Some programs can't read the SMART data if the SATA controller port is set to AHCI or RAID mode, but can read it in IDE mode.
!