2 PCI-E 16x Video Cards in 1 PC (but not running in SLI)

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Here is what I'd like to do:

I want to install a new g92 nvidia card (when released in November) into my PC, but I'd like to ALSO leave my current 7800gt in my PC as well (I have a special dual-boot need which requires this). I hear this can be done, but I want to confirm this and find out exactly how and what to watch for...

Yes, I have an SLI mobo (asus a8n premium SLI) but I don't want to run anything in SLI, I simply want to use the two slots to choose which video card I want to run at the moment. In Windows, I will want to run the new g92 card, and in my other boot the 7800gt.

What would be the best possible way to go about this?

Thanks so much!

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
in theory yes i never did it before before shutting off go to device manager and disable the card you are using and enable the card you will be using then dual boot into other windows you should be only working with your other card

SpeedyVV

Distinguished
May 12, 2007

I am not sure what the challenge is, but I have a 7600GT and a 8800GTX both installed, and both working under XP and Vista in dualboot.

This is possible because the nVidia drivers support both 7xxx and 8xxx in both Vista and XP.

I guess the question is, what is your other boot environment\OS and what video drivers it uses.