Wireless router with print server

Broodmdh

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I am looking for a wireless router for my small business, and I was hoping that I could find one with a print server included so everyone could use the multifunction printer. I've read, however, that when you connect a multifunction printer to such a router you lose the special functions (scanner etc). Is this true? If so, is there a way around this limitation? I need a good router with strong encryption and signal strength. Any suggestions would be welcome.

sturm

Splendid
I think the printer itself wont send the scans over the network. You can still scan to the attached computer, just not to one over the network.
You could always setup a computer by the printer and share that printer with your network. Then if someone needs to scan they use that computer, save it to usb drive or network share, then return to their desk.

kgtigerboy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
on this topic... If I already have a wireless network at home and needed to print wirelessly, would just need a LAN print server off of one of the router's ports? Or do I have to run a wireless print server too?

mdeezy

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
You dont need a wireless print server. If you have an RJ45 connection on the back of the printer and a cable can be run to it from one of the routers ports that will work. Its now apart of the network and even those wireless pcs on the network will be able to print from it

kagomeghe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

there are lots of wireless router with built in printserver that you can choose from now a days. you can also purchase a separate wired or wireless printserver for your network since you already have a router. it is also true that there are some cases wherein some printservers have issues with multifunction printers but not to the point that it will lose its special functionalities. cases like this are normally wherein the printservers that are not detecting or communicating with the printers even the drivers or their firmwares are already updated. scanners and other special functionalities of a certain printers are separate since they have a separate drivers or utilities that you need to install on the computer. you have to install this separate software or utility on each computer if you plan to use it on a network.

kagomeghe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

if your printer is a network printer, you do not need any printserver. if your printer is a regular printer, you have an option to use a LAN printserver that is connected directly to the router or you can also purchase a wireless printserver so you can print wirelessly, less the cable attachment to your printer.

kagomeghe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

most regular or wireless printserver have ethernet and/or usb connections where you can connect the printer. you just have to make sure that the driver of the printer are installed on each computer that you are using

tzsons

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

i have printer with rj45 connection and i connect it on back of router(TP-Link TL-WR641G), Now tell me how to print from my laptop.