Sign in with
Your question

X-38 INFO - NO SLI SCREW X38 !!

Last response: in Components
September 12, 2007 2:32:19 PM

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

I also have a screenshot if that "dissappears, so really they screwed their answer to nvidia here ! No SLI = no real reason to buy !

More about : info sli screw x38

September 12, 2007 2:55:30 PM

Because the rumor mill had it that X-38 was going to have it and to wait and see, or did you happen to know it did not already before the official release ?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 12, 2007 2:57:40 PM

I am buying it regardless.
a b Î Nvidia
September 12, 2007 3:12:33 PM

Well the rumor I heard was that it was going to support something similar to the SLI-MEMORY, not sli graphics, so no big surprise there.. :p 
September 12, 2007 3:20:13 PM

royalcrown said:
Because the rumor mill had it that X-38 was going to have it and to wait and see, or did you happen to know it did not already before the official release ?

It was a possibility that it may get it since the AMD/ATI merger but it was a slim one. SLI is a major selling point for the nforce chipsets. Take a look at some reviews and compare intels P35 or 965 chips with the nforce ones. Intel has yet to fail to set the highest standard. Crossfire was something intel could get from ATI since ATI wasn't a major competitor anyway. Licensing SLI to intel would be like writing off the high end chipset market for Nvidia. Such an agreement would mark a major shift on the market regarding intels and nvidias position there.
September 12, 2007 3:30:58 PM

I guess the 700 series is supposed to have PCI-e 2.0 just like the x38 so wait for that...I guess,
September 12, 2007 3:37:45 PM

Well enjoy it, but it is not that compelling feature wise without it, just a p35 revision. Hey, as long as you like it, I was hoping for intel SLI is all.

badge said:
I am buying it regardless.

September 12, 2007 3:40:10 PM

uh im getting an Abit version anyways...after hearing the nightmares with the 680i chipset when it 1st came out.....yeea, not like it matters anyways im going to be using a 20' Widescreen...which buying high end VC SLI wont really help.

soo yea there still is a very good reason to buy something other then an Nvidia Chipset
September 12, 2007 3:42:57 PM

royalcrown said:
Well enjoy it, but it is not that compelling feature wise without it, just a p35 revision. Hey, as long as you like it, I was hoping for intel SLI is all.

Besides two 8800 what video cards in SLI would you want that are so much better than a single 8800? I have three SLI systems. A single superior card is better than two inferior cards in SLI is my experience.
a b Î Nvidia
September 12, 2007 3:44:56 PM

i am still happy with my P5K-E :D 
September 12, 2007 4:22:25 PM

Is SLI really that important to you?
CrossFire is a nice alternative. :) 
September 12, 2007 10:18:16 PM

Quote:
i am still happy with my P5K-E :D 

Sames...

Im curious... now that AMD has merged with ATi... AMD/ATi is in direct competition with Intel... How the hell are Intel still supporting CrossFire on there chipsets, seems to me that AMD and Intel would work together a little on that front?
September 13, 2007 12:22:16 AM

So you'll sell me your geforce 9800's then, oh wait, 8800 are the current best. How you gonna get a better card than 2 8800's right now ?

badge said:
Besides two 8800 what video cards in SLI would you want that are so much better than a single 8800? I have three SLI systems. A single superior card is better than two inferior cards in SLI is my experience.

September 13, 2007 12:28:18 AM

Well NVIDIA doesn't make crossfire, and I'd rather go with a known quantity right now unless AMD can start releasing real drivers and stop mucking up their feature sets and the intentionally difficult product teirs

lp231 said:
Is SLI really that important to you?
CrossFire is a nice alternative. :) 

September 24, 2007 2:53:17 PM

royalcrown said:

X38 supports SLI, now if you can just get nVidia to unlock its graphics driver you're golden.
October 3, 2007 12:31:27 AM

Stupid question, but I'm a newbie on northbridges and such :p 

Is there legal issues with Intel producing Nvidia supported northbridges, such as SLI support in the x-38...? If so, why did Intel produce Crossfire compatible chips, a deal with ATI?

If there aren't any legal issues, why then did Intel produce ATI-only supported chips, and not Nvidia? Be terrible business for the video card fans, 50% whom are Nvidia boys.

Someone explain this to me please.
October 3, 2007 1:03:59 AM

Although no SLI changes the available upgrade options, by itself, I don't think it's an automatic "no sale".
October 3, 2007 5:09:20 AM

dashbarron said:
Stupid question, but I'm a newbie on northbridges and such :p 

Is there legal issues with Intel producing Nvidia supported northbridges, such as SLI support in the x-38...? If so, why did Intel produce Crossfire compatible chips, a deal with ATI?

If there aren't any legal issues, why then did Intel produce ATI-only supported chips, and not Nvidia? Be terrible business for the video card fans, 50% whom are Nvidia boys.

Someone explain this to me please.

You're not "getting it", Intel started producing SLI-supported chipset with the 975X. NVidia locked them out at the graphics driver level. The graphics driver looks for an nVidia SLI chipset and if it doesn't find it, disables the SLI option.

There's no legal issue as you think of, because it's not a design issue. NVidia makes it's own graphics driver, and Intel can't change nVidia's graphics driver.
!