Last response: in Motherboards

Abit IP35 vs GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Total: 42 votes (23 blank votes)

• Abit IP35
  • 50 %
  • GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
  • 50 %
September 27, 2007 10:03:38 PM

Hey, I'm looking into buying a new motherboard for my Q6600. I found these two board to be in my price range and the review have been good for both. BUT, which one is better?

Abit IP35 vs GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

I have two harddrive that I want to raid0 with them, and want to moderately OC my RAM and CPU. So my question is which one is better? Stabler? and better OC? Thanks

Price:

Abit IP35 http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4841006&nav=2&cmp=AFC-CJ_CBIT
$103.99 AR shipped (for me)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050
$136.60 shipped

The gigabyte is a little more expensive because there's is no rebate on it. So I am thinking of getting the abit IP35 because mostly of the price. They seem to have the same spec to me. Or should I just spend a little more and get the abit IP35 PRO? What's the best bang for my buck?

I know the DS3R have all solid capacitors compare to the IP35 which only have solid capacitors around the CPU. I wonder if these capacitors are that of an important factor to consider when buying a motherboard.

PLEASE OFFER ANY OTHER BETTER MOTHERBOARD, YOUR OPINION IS WELCOME, THANKS

More about : abit ip35 gigabyte p35 ds3r

a b V Motherboard
September 27, 2007 10:48:28 PM

My feeling is that quality goes just like prices here,
IP35 < GA-P35-DS3R < IP35Pro.

If there's any feature in IP35 Pro that you want to have and can't get from GA-P35-DS3R then get the IP35 Pro. If not, get the DS3R.

Sorry, can't offer any better motherboard, the GA-P35-DS3R and aBit IP35Pro are my favourites :)  OK, Asus makes good P35 mobos too, but I still prefer those other two.

September 28, 2007 12:38:45 AM

aevm, can you explain a little on why the IP35 is less than the DS3R? They still to have about the same spec. And this Abit IP35 is much better than the Abit IP35-e.

How important is all solid capacitors? Or is this is a marketing hype.

Both motherboard have the feature I want, but which one would be better for overclocking and will run much more stable?

Plus I don't plan to upgrade in one or two years, so I need a motherboard that will last me for a while... Thanks
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 1:08:52 AM

IP35 (non pro model) Doesn't support RAID, the IP35 PRO does. The DS3L doesn't support RAID, but the DS3R does support RAID (the one your asking about). So if your going for RAID, get the DS3R/IP35 Pro/ or this Asus with RAID 0/1 support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: the one you linked for the IP35, says it has RAID, so I would go for that one, since you can get it cheaper! More $ for GPU or for a game!!
September 28, 2007 1:25:09 AM

lunyone said:
IP35 (non pro model) Doesn't support RAID, the IP35 PRO does. The DS3L doesn't support RAID, but the DS3R does support RAID (the one your asking about). So if your going for RAID, get the DS3R/IP35 Pro/ or this Asus with RAID 0/1 support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: the one you linked for the IP35, says it has RAID, so I would go for that one, since you can get it cheaper! More $ for GPU or for a game!!

I believe your think about the IP35-e which don't have raid. But this IP35 do have raid. There are three abit out there:
IP35-e (no raid)
IP35 (raid)
IP35-Pro (raid)

Thanks for suggesting the asus, but I rather get the DS3R because it have more sata connector
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 2:09:43 AM

luckyu2c said:
I believe your think about the IP35-e which don't have raid. But this IP35 do have raid. There are three abit out there:
IP35-e (no raid)
IP35 (raid)
IP35-Pro (raid)

Thanks for suggesting the asus, but I rather get the DS3R because it have more sata connector

Just throwing out as many options as possible, so one can make an informed decision :) 
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 2:10:05 AM

Why I'd prefer the GA-P35-DS3R over the IP35 (not Pro):

1. The cheaper IP35 has 6 SATA ports, while the GA-P35-DS3R has 8. I guess most people won't care, but I'm already using 5 and I expect to add 3 more disks in the next 3 years or so.
2. Solid capacitors everywhere, not just "around the CPU" mean the board will last longer (the Ultra Durable hype). Theoretically it also means more stable power supplied to other components which should help them last longer too. I have no idea if this is true but it sounds plausible :) 
3. Gigabyte has good customer support. I don't know about aBit's.
4. The GA-P35-DS3R consumes very little power. (A similar Asus model consumes 30W more, for example). Don't know about aBit.

Why I'd prefer the IP35 over GA-P35-DS3R: a bit cheaper, FireWire support.

Personally I only really care about the number of SATA ports, of all these, but that is important to me. You may be just fine with 6.

About the IP35Pro: fantastic reviews, high rate of satisfaction among buyers, Firewire, eSATA, ability to put an 8800 GTX and an 8600GT together and have a setup with 2 or 3 monitors. If you need any of these go for it.

I think all 3 of these boards are great value for the price. Why don't you just figure out the features you need and get the cheapest one that has them all.

Full disclosure: I've read a lot of "P35 roundup" reviews before I bought my GA-P35C-DS3R. The IP35Pro and GA-P35-DS3R seemed to get the Editor's Choice a lot, usually tied. I've been brainwashed :) 

Edit: yeah, I have the P35C. For some reason I thought support for DDR3 was cool and worth $30, at the time. Not sure any more. The GA-P35-DS3R overclocks better than the GA-P35C-DS3R anyway, so don't be tempted by the P35C.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 2:13:31 AM

Brainwashed? ^^^ can you say sucker? nah, just jokin' Hehehehe
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 2:18:56 AM

:lol:  :lol:  Nope, it's not that bad. The board I ended up with works very nicely. :love: 
September 28, 2007 2:21:31 AM

Haven't tried the Abit, but I have used the DS3R briefly before returning it. I would have to vote against the DS3R, after my experience and that I've seen of many others with the DS3 series P35 boards. It failed FCC EMI testing, among other issues. I returned mine with boot issues, a bios that didn't properly support floppy drives, and erractic voltage supply to CPU fan header. The retailer where I bought it tested their remaining stock and found them all to have defects. I settled on the Asus P5K-E/WiFi AP and have had no problems to date. Q6600 with minor voltage boost nice and solid at 3.6GHz with Corsair Ballistix.
September 28, 2007 2:40:29 AM

Thanks all for the responds. The votes are equal right now. I'm leaning toward the DS3R because it look more solid build than the IP35. Plus extra SATA is very usefully.
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2007 2:54:03 AM

I wouldn't worry about the FCC EMI testing. That test went like this: one of Gigabyte's competitors bought a GA-P35-DS3R, said it hadn't been sabotaged in any way, then paid $2000 to have the tests done. Isn't it beautiful???

Also, who needs floppies.

But yeah, I'd worry about the CPU fan issue. Maybe there's a bad batch of these boards out there, made recently? Maybe the recent revision 2.0 is full of bugs?

Edit: if that's the case, maybe Asus is a good choice. For one thing, Asus P5K has the best onboard audio AFAIK, among P35 boards.
September 28, 2007 3:18:01 AM

Don't you need floppy to raid the harddrive? And your riht about a bad batch of DS3R, like newegg review, seem like a lot of people got bad boards while compare to other site like Mwave or clubit, the review are fine. I kind want the revision 2.0 but how you know your going to get one when buying online?
September 28, 2007 3:59:41 AM

I'm still debating these same boards myself! Although, I'm currently comparing the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (this board is recently available in my area) and the Abit IP-35 Pro.

It's not absolutely essential but I would like the extra PCI slot and Firewire.

But, I'd like the board to be compatible with as many Linux distros as possible (for trying).

The Gigabytes only have 2 PCI slots but I like the specs on the DS4 board. Eventually, I'd like a TV tuner card and a sound card so they would take up both PCI slots on the Gigabyte, right? Hmmmm...
September 28, 2007 9:39:22 AM

Canuck1, why you need a sound card, the build in sound of both the gigabyte and abit is pretty good in itself. I heard many good things about the abit IP35-Pro, but not very sure about the DS4 (haven't read anything about it).
September 28, 2007 10:20:24 AM

luckyu2c,
don't compare 100$-300$ sound cards like audigy 4 pro, xfi etc to built in soundcards....
the sound quality is very different....
i have the audigy 4 pro (with the external unit), it was the flag ship till the xfi enterd...
it is conneted to a 6x140 HT amplifyer & Huge 250W speakers...

once you'll hear a good sound card with nice speakers, you'll know the difference. every ear can feel this difference...

also- it have hw acceleration in games...
in some reviews of the xfi thay got 5-15 FSB more than the built in...
the sound quality & the cpu usege was very very very different...

i play in AC3- 5.1 all my games... with the previews sound card i had- 5.1 live, it couln't run any game with AC3 5.1... it needed a lot from the cpu...
September 28, 2007 8:14:09 PM

Z_dori, well if you put that way, okay. I, myself don't really care about sound that much. As long as my computer have a good graphic card and is fast, that's all I want. :) ,
September 29, 2007 12:23:47 AM

luckyu2c said:
Canuck1, why you need a sound card, the build in sound of both the gigabyte and abit is pretty good in itself. I heard many good things about the abit IP35-Pro, but not very sure about the DS4 (haven't read anything about it).

I'd like the sound card for plugging in musical equipment such as guitar, keyboard, amp etc.

I think the DS4 is good because it's similar to the DS3R but closer to the DS3P and the DS4 versions available are the revised ones which have the extra USB ports.
September 29, 2007 4:24:22 AM

abit IP35 imo is better than the DS3R.
However, the DS3P again imo is better than the IP35 & at least in the UK the pricing is virtually identical.
September 29, 2007 9:01:31 AM

BUFF said:
abit IP35 imo is better than the DS3R.
However, the DS3P again imo is better than the IP35 & at least in the UK the pricing is virtually identical.

I'm not so sure that the Abit IP35 is better from all the forum I read. But the DS3R have all Solid Capacitors which mean it will most likely be more stable than the Abit IP35 (Which only have solid capacitors around the CPU). The Price for both is the same except the IP35 have a $30 MIR right now (so it's cheaper than the DS3R, right now). I would like to get the DS3P, but it's pricing is around the mid $150 :( 
September 29, 2007 10:58:48 AM

First of all, go with what you are comfortable with in a brand. Abit, Gigabyte and Asus are all good tier one manufactures. Look at the features you need. Look at manufacture warranty. ( We have never had rma issues with any of there manufactures). Do not pay attention to reviews from web sites selling the products. Alot of back yard mechanics on those web sites that do not know what there doing. Lastly look at your budget, and quality is more important than saving 10 or 20 dollars.
October 2, 2007 12:48:23 AM

luckyu2c said:
I'm not so sure that the Abit IP35 is better from all the forum I read. But the DS3R have all Solid Capacitors which mean it will most likely be more stable than the Abit IP35 (Which only have solid capacitors around the CPU).

well, as I said it's my opinion ;) 
The P35-DS3R has a cut down PCB & no firewire.
The IP35 is full size, has firewire & better chipset cooling but doesn't have the extra 2 SATA ports on the JMicron (usually the first thing that I do is turn off the JMicron anyway).

As for solid vs electrolytic caps if they are equivalently specified there should be abolutely no difference in performance/stability but the solid should have increased longevity.
Tbh for most people on forums like this they will have upgraded mobos before that becomes an issue.
October 18, 2007 12:03:08 PM

Is the IP35 Pro $50 better than the P35-DS3R? I was waiting to see if I could find a rev. 2.0 D3R board and I think I found a vendor selling one.

The IP35 Pro is at least $50 more than the DS3R.

I had the impression that the Abit IP35 Pro runs a bit cooler than the DS3R though but I'm not sure how valid that is. I originally thought they were even but if that's not the case, I would have to consider saving an extra $50. I have a Q6600 cpu so I'd like a mb that can allow it to run as cool as possible. It's G0-stepping but I still want a board to allow maximum cooling. I also have an aftermarket cooler (Thermalright) but would the board make any difference?
October 18, 2007 1:06:10 PM

At what site did you find the rev 2.0 at? Thanks in advance
October 19, 2007 3:29:53 PM

If you don't need firewire you can get the Gigabyte P35-DS3L. It's a good price point, p35 chipset, supports ddr 1066 ram, 1333fsb, duo and quad cpus, plenty of sata ports, one ide if u need it, and floppy. Same as the other in question, it has the 'ultra durable' capacitors and such.

I look at the features I need or want, then compare the boards with the lowest price but without sacrificing quality. This one delivers for me. :) 
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2007 3:40:47 PM

"Plenty" as in 4. That's probably good enough for a lot of people, but I'm using 5 right now :)  If you'd rather have 8 SATA ports get the DS3R.

!