Sign in with
Your question

Repair for burnt WD 500gb SATA HDD PCB

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2008 3:37:32 AM

Hi guys 3 days back my computer got shut down with smoke coming out of my WD 500gb SATA hdd , it had a peculiar smell to it. the hdd doesnt get detected. I have inquired about Data recovery which were listed in the wdc site but the prices are too steep for me to bear.
After inquiring with my office sys-admin i got to know that i can get my burnt hdd pcb repaired. So i want to figure out anyone who knows people or company in Mumbai who do such kind of repair, or a reasonably charged data recovery solution
February 12, 2008 5:47:26 AM

any suggestions on data recovery
a b G Storage
February 12, 2008 6:09:14 AM

sujoystick said:
Hi guys 3 days back my computer got shut down with smoke coming out of my WD 500gb SATA hdd , it had a peculiar smell to it. the hdd doesnt get detected. I have inquired about Data recovery which were listed in the wdc site but the prices are too steep for me to bear.
After inquiring with my office sys-admin i got to know that i can get my burnt hdd pcb repaired. So i want to figure out anyone who knows people or company in Mumbai who do such kind of repair, or a reasonably charged data recovery solution

order another hdd (the same model) and a set of hex tools and switch the pcb's between them and then try to fire it up that way, with a little luck it will work no dramas.

Data recovery is a very pricey thing.
Related resources
December 29, 2008 4:54:44 AM

Not as simple as apache_lives is reporting sadly.
Same model yes, but you need to match more more than just model. You need to match as much as possible actually. The most critical things are Part Number of your Drive, the Firmware version of the Drive and actually the PCB board model of the drive also. Some drives are easier to swap boards than others but with many of the newer drives they are tuned and this variable data is stored back on the PCB which is part of what your attempting to swap out. I am doing the research right now for a clients 500G seagate drive that needs the board replaced and the more i read up the more im lead to the fact it might be best to just send in for repair.
The newer the drive the more this is true.

Here are a few links that might prove useful

http://myharddrivedied.com/presentations/HDSerials.html
http://www.microswamp.com/tech-notes/data-recovery
http://forum.hddguru.com/

Best of luck
Tnt
:sol: 
March 1, 2011 5:26:56 AM

data recovery service or data recovery software
two common ways for recovering your 500gigs sata hdd
the first one is to ask for help from data recovery service. It's more possible to recover your data maximum; long-time to deliever and privacy leakage
i only know werecoverdata is a professional service company to do this. It depends your location.
The second way is to use read-only software with bootable cd to recover your sata hdd data.
data recovery wizard is my first choice to do this.
a b G Storage
March 1, 2011 9:02:57 AM

errrrr.... 2008 much? its been here for like 2+ years and you still didnt read it correctly BURNT PCB - no software will help
March 1, 2011 4:52:24 PM

If The drive is less than 3 years old you could submit a RMA report. The serial number is the key as to whether it is an EOM (which cannot be returned) or a disk which still has a garantee.
a b G Storage
March 1, 2011 8:09:08 PM

OMFG THIS THREAD IS FROM 2008 FFS DOES ANYONE READ THE DETAILS THE ORIGINAL INTENT WAS TO GET DATA RECOVERED NOT WARRANTY

READ
April 11, 2011 10:39:32 PM

Chill out, dude. We're just trying to help.

I just want to point out that the drive probably got hosed when you sprayed WD 500 on it. I'm afraid your SAT scores are gone for good.
!