How much 1080p video can you store on a 8Gb drive?

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm thinking about getting the Samsung SC-HMX20C when it comes out, it has 8Gb of internal storage with some SDHC card slots.

But I'm curious though how many minutes of 1080p video can be stored just on the 8Gb's of internal storage?

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Completely depends on the compression codec used and what you would consider "acceptable" compression. Rough estimate using ~8Mb/s total data rate... about 2hrs.

-mcg

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
2hrs sound pretty good with th best possible compression.So if I bought a 16Gb or 32Gb card I could get 4-8 hours! Of course only if the camcorder could last that long on a single charge.

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
This should help. It is the compression rates & times of previous model using the same codec:

The Samsung SC-HMX10 offers two choices for recording media, both solid-state. The primary media is a non-removable 8GB flash media. Using only this media, you’ll get approximately 88 minutes of video in the highest quality and 533 minutes in the lowest quality.

The second media option is a removable SDHC card. The SC-HMX10 is compatible is capacities up to 16 GB. SDHC cards range in price depending on capacity, and the prices are always falling. Though no card comes included with the camcorder, it’s certainly a good idea to pick one up. A 4GB card can hold around 44 minutes of video in highest quality and 267 minutes in the lowest quality.

The Samsung SC-HMX10 outputs video in the H.264/MPEG-4 format (the file extension is .MP4). This highly-compressed video codec should not be confused with the competing AVCHD format. AVCHD is a type of H.264/MPEG-4 codec, but the version Samsung employs is different, with both benefits and drawbacks.

More Here:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Samsung-SC-HMX10-Camcorder-Review-34476/Format.htm

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
If you have the means and you think that you might want to do more editing with your footage I suggest that you look at HDV camcorders. While HDV is based on the older mpeg2 rather than mpeg4, it manages much better picture quality with less compression artifacting, and above all is more readily editable. There are some HDD models if you are isistant about using hard drive or SS disc recording.

raven1613

Honorable
May 1, 2012

I don't know Jack Schidtz about codec compression or any of that geek talk.
How about putting it in layman terms and just answer the question.
How many movies can I store on my 8GB USB drive or my 32GB USB drive?

Thank You for plain english.

The plain english answer is.... "It Depends"
First, some movies are long some are short, format the movies are saved in also matters, some formats make smaller files, means you can store more.

Let me ask you "how many people can fit in a 4 room or an 8 room house"? Can you answer that in "plain english" without knowing how big the house is, or how large the people are?