Changing from XP Home Ed SP2 to XP Pro SP1

My daughter's PC has the XP Home SP2, but I want to change it to XP Pro, but
the disk I have is only XP Pro SP1, when I inserted it and tried to install,
I got a warning message. Any problems with doing what I wish (after Pro
install, I would then download/install the SP2 patch for XP Pro). How do I
get around this current challenge?
--
XP-P; Linksys Wrles H-O ntwk 3 PCs 1 lptp 1 Smtfon (WM03+ActSync4 Outlk
Cal&Conts); CPUs P4 3.4G; 2GB RM; BT Kybd/Mse; ATI Rad9800P; Office03P;

Check here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Dr Ken Brown-Gratchev" <DrKenBrownGratchev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:319504CA-C9F7-4B48-8BC7-8F34407B9DFC@microsoft.com...
> My daughter's PC has the XP Home SP2, but I want to change it to XP Pro,
> but
> the disk I have is only XP Pro SP1, when I inserted it and tried to
> install,
> I got a warning message. Any problems with doing what I wish (after Pro
> install, I would then download/install the SP2 patch for XP Pro). How do
> get around this current challenge?
> --
> XP-P; Linksys Wrles H-O ntwk 3 PCs 1 lptp 1 Smtfon (WM03+ActSync4 Outlk
> Cal&Conts); CPUs P4 3.4G; 2GB RM; BT Kybd/Mse; ATI Rad9800P; Office03P;
> NSW-AS-AV05; MS AntiSpywr; SpySwepr; SpyBot; SpyWrBlastr

Do you have a second license for XP Pro for the second installation?
If you already used the XP Pro license on one computer, than you'll
have to purchase a second license for installation on your daughter's
computer.

If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp

Make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed
and then perform the upgrade with the new CD.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dr Ken Brown-Gratchev" wrote:

| My daughter's PC has the XP Home SP2, but I want to change it to XP Pro, but
| the disk I have is only XP Pro SP1, when I inserted it and tried to install,
| I got a warning message. Any problems with doing what I wish (after Pro
| install, I would then download/install the SP2 patch for XP Pro). How do I
| get around this current challenge?

TRENDING THREADS