can I disable interpolation on my laptop?

farmkid

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
My laptop has a problem with the GPU. The laptop is actually a ChemUSA 2500, but internally it is essentially an Acer Travelmate 800. The GPU is a Radeon 9000. The problem is that I cannot run with the graphics drivers installed. If the grahics drivers are installed, it seems to use some circuits in the chip that the generic VGA drivers do not use which have become defective. No, it is not a software problem, since a fresh install of Windows or Linux does not solve the problem. It will load the OS until it gets to the point of loading the graphics drivers, at which point it stalls in an infinite loop. It will start fine in safe mode or with the grahics drivers uninstalled.

It runs fine with the generic VGA drivers in Windows, though with reduced performance. The real problem that drives me insane, though, is the interpolation. I can barely stand to use the computer now because of the eye strain. The generic Windows VGA drivers will not run at a resolution higher than 1280X1024. My screen is 1400X1050, so I am seeing an interpolated image. Now for the question: is there any way to disable interpolation so that the image is just a little smaller than the screen, but not interpolated?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You have good eyes. I don't think so, The screen has a native resolution, based on the number of pixels in the display, and any other will be interpolated.