pmoreland

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I have a AMD x2 3800 Manchester core cpu. I notice that the cpu multiplier ranges (in theory) from 4x to a maximum of 10x. However, I notice in actual practice it runs from between 5x and 10x. I employ Cool n Quit (which I like) and have learned that when it cycles down, it lowers the multiplier, and this lowers the voltage which lowers the temps, which lowers the noise. So, I am wondering why does my cpu not lower to the 4x state, which presumably would lower the volts/temp/noise even more?

Any ideas? Thank you.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
u dotn want to g othat low its not stable and possibly really bad. If you want to oc take quite and cool off...then put ur multiplier down no further then x7 or x6 and then change ur HTT but i would try changing ur HTT first...

pmoreland

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Hi, thanks for the answer, but overclocking is not my goal. I would actually like to allow this cpu to lower itself to the 4x multiplier. I would appreciate the lower voltage/temps/noise. So the question is, if this cpu can run between 4x and 10x...then what would be the thing which is limiting mine to between 5x and 10x?