Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking, voltage problems.

Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2007 9:00:41 PM

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula x38

I recently got a Q6600 G0 witch oc'ed to 3.4Ghz with no increase in voltage! But most the voltage settings in the bios are set to AUTO. I didn’t want to touch them. But I have to wonder, if its set to auto does the voltage automatically increase as you mess with the FSB? Same for the memory and north and south bridge.

The reason I ask is well for 1 I don’t want the voltages to be higher that they should be, and 2 PC ProbeII keeps going all crazy with alarms that say the CPU, Memory, NB, and SB voltages are too high! I didn’t touch them, they are on auto.

Can anyone reassure me?
December 4, 2007 10:07:54 PM

Sorry bud. Setting it to Auto will increase with the frequencies. Usually setting it to Auto will give more voltage than needed. At 3.4Ghz, the voltage is awfully high. I suggest you change the setting of auto to like 1.4v. Remember to use Prime95 to stress test for stability.

EDIT: 1.4v for the 3.4ghz overclock. You stated you didn't want to go higher than it should be. The stock voltage for 2.4ghz is usually 1.2650v. The maximum suggest VID is 1.5000v
December 5, 2007 1:06:36 AM

Ok, well I just double checked and my current Vcore is 1.36v. Id say that’s fine. CPU PLL is 1.584v.. not sure what that is. The NB is at 1.456v and the SB 1.04v. These are all the auto settings.

The Voltages that PC Probe II doesn’t Like are DRAM ref 1.07v, DRAM 2.14v, FSBT 1.38v, NB 1.46v. All those voltages are taken from PC Probe itself and are displayed in RED with an alarm. is it just me or are these voltages fine?
Related resources
December 5, 2007 1:24:01 AM

DDR2 or DDR3?

NB seems a touch high.. you could try to take it off Auto and drop it yourself.
December 5, 2007 1:26:16 AM

DDR2 1066, The FSB is at 377. What voltage would you suggest to drop it to?
December 5, 2007 1:35:59 AM

wirelessfender said:
DDR2 1066, The FSB is at 377. What voltage would you suggest to drop it to?

One touch down at a time.

I don't know what RAM you have so I can't comment on that.

Do it til it isn't stable one voltage at a time and then turn it back up. Odds are the memory is fine. If it was DDR3 that's a crazy voltage.
December 5, 2007 1:57:50 AM

I have Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066. Why does the NBvoltage matter concerning memory? The Dram voltages are where they are supposed to be.

Aslo, how do I test for stabality when changing NB voltage?
December 5, 2007 2:23:25 AM

wirelessfender said:
I have Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066. Why does the NBvoltage matter concerning memory? The Dram voltages are where they are supposed to be.

Aslo, how do I test for stabality when changing NB voltage?

NB Voltage doesn't matter, sorry it came across that way.

NB Voltage can be tested by running Prime95v255 Blend.
December 5, 2007 2:31:08 PM

OK, I ran Prime 95 for about 20min and got an error. So I added a little vcore and it seemed to make it stable. I followed up with an Orthos test for 20min. I also Backed the NB down to 1.42 wich put it in the green with PC Probe. The only thing thats still red is the RAM at 2.14v and the FSBT at 1.38v. I dont know why thats red though because everything is stable and temps are good.

Should I even worry at this point or is it fine?

One more thing, I would like to turn speedstep off but I cant find it. Would it be labeled something else?

Thanks so far for the help.
December 5, 2007 7:17:44 PM

It might just say EIST.. Should be in the power settings somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it.
!