Raid, AHCI and NCQ

I have a 3HD setup. 1st HD is for the OS and apps and the other 2 will be in raid 1. The system is a high end desktop server.

I have read in Intel's website that setting the ide setting to raid will enable AHCI (including Native Command Queuing [NCQ]). Im just wondering if AHCI will be enabled only on the raid set-up or even the single drive for my OS and applications. Im just thinking that NCQ might be handy in my set-up.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about raid ahci
  1. Yes, if your controller is set to RAID, even single drives connected to the controller will have NCQ capabilities.
  2. rwpritchett said:
    Yes, if your controller is set to RAID, even single drives connected to the controller will have NCQ capabilities.


    perfect ans.
  3. I managed to install the raid set-up and NCQ on all drives. Would anyone know if we have to install the raid drivers everytime we re-install the OS? Do we have to set-up the RAID 1 array again? Would we be losing data in such a scenario?
  4. dips said:
    Would anyone know if we have to install the raid drivers everytime we re-install the OS?


    Yes.

    dips said:
    Do we have to set-up the RAID 1 array again?


    Only if you change it in BIOS, you would not need to change it for the OS. The array is "built" before the machine boots the OS.

    dips said:
    Would we be losing data in such a scenario?


    No.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage