Penryn prices? worth it?

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
UPDATE Sept 18----
Toms daily is reporting that Penryn will be available on November 12th, does this not mean the desktop chips? They don't say anywhere in the article this these will be server only chips, I am confused! =?

original post----

Ok, so what can we expect to pay for these new Penryn chips when the come out in what now appears to be mid-late November?

I hear some threads that say they will be very cheap for intell to mass produce, but they are also vastly superior chips in power to the current C2D offerings.
Are they just a little better, or are these things gona make a Q6600 look like a cracker jackers box CPU prize?

I am looking at either a q6600 or a (hopefully) reasonably priced Penryn (if there will be such a thing?). Of course I am open to phenom too, but ya know..... It probably won't be out around the Crysis launch (hint hint) like Penryn now appears to be, and doesn't sound like it will dominate Penryn anyways.... (not trying to start a war, that's what I've read and heard)
Penryn gona be a $500 chip? $1000? Worth it if it's that high? Or should I just get a Q6600 for under $300 in November? I know that nobody knows for sure, I'd just like to hear some opinions on what we can expect =?

There is no doubt a TON of people out there just like me...> Looking to upgrade or buy new this fall for games like Crysis, with a VERY tempting Q6600 sitting right there within arms reach!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

The last timeline I saw was for the Yorkfield Quad Core Extreme would come out late November Early December. The rest of the new Quad Core and Dual Core Wolfdales would come out at the first of the year 2008. I have not heard or seen any price information as of yet. I would *** the Yorkfield Quad Core Extreme to come out at $999 or higher price point like all Extreme processors have.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
the quad cores will really benefit from 45nm because they suck down way too much power and are just idling most of the time. Unfortunately, intel is likely to charge two arms and a leg for a 45nm quad. Luckily it looks like amd is going to have a quad for well under $200 and unlike intel, AMD's quad wont run so hot while idling.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It's hard to imagine Q6600 prices dropping lower but it would be nice for everyone anyways, maybe round $199? I think the first quad penryns will be like the extreme to dog model at around $1000 for early adopters who don't mind the price with the lower model chips soon after, pretty much like most Intel rollouts.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, both the SSE4 and the 12MB of onboard cache. It will be interesting to see what the overall improvement of encoders will be once they all update for SSE4 support and any that currently are lacking robust multicore support.

:p

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Very helpful information guys really! Thank you very much =)

So basically there will be NO reasonably priced peny chips until early next year..... Blah..... That won't do lol.... Q6600 it is!

Ok, I will heed the advice here, and wait until November before I buy anything, in case some major change takes place.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I doubt the q6600 will go down in price, just look at the e6600! When the e6x50 came out, the price of the e6600 stayed the same (newegg) 229.99USD compared to e6750's 199.99.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Intel will move Penryn into the mainstream very, very quickly, for the simple reason they cost less to produce.

The ramp to 45 nanos will be the fastest in history. This will happen because Intel wants to hold their technological (and hence pricing advantage) over AMD, but also just pure economics.. if sold at the same price, they make more on a 45 nano than they do on a 65 namo part.

Also, the 45 nano parts require a new (hopefully) intel motherboard (Ka ching!), with (hopefully) and Intel chipset (Ka ching!)....

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I thought there were C2D MOBO's out that support 45nm penryns already? =?

If not already, I should be able to buy a mobo in November that supports both a Q6600 or penyrns in cased I wanted to upgrade later, or is that not gona happen?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
There are loads of mobos supporting Penryn on the market; any P35, G31, G33 or G35 board should have support and some boards with older chipsets will also work although possibly only later revisions.

The newer revisions of 65nm C2D are better in terms of power consumption at idle and Penryn will beat that as well according to data at Anandtech. The power savings in the article are for a dual-core so the quads advantage will obviously be more.

The pricing that Dailytech has for the 45nm Xeon Quads suggests that Intel is likely to price the desktop quads at low prices to;

Model/GHz/$

E5405 2.00 209
E5410 2.33 256
E5420 2.50 316
E5430 2.66 455

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
wow, those prices are pretty low =0.

Good to hear that I can get a mobo that will support both, but if penryn desktop chips will seriously be that cheap (or similar prices), certainly it might be worth waiting for =)

I mean, even a low end Peny quad chip should be able to smoke a Q6600 right? And peny will overclock better too eh?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
The Dailytech article states that there are 4 quad core Penryns excluding any Extreme editions:

GHz/cache

2.50/6
2.66/12
2.83/12
!!!!/12

They all have a FSB of 1,333 (333) which does give them a disadvantage when over-clocking i.e. for a 50% overclock the FSB will need to hit 2000 (500) which equates to a minimum RAM speed of 1,000 MHz for many chipsets. A lot of boards won’t be stable at 500 MHz also. Apart from that they should be good chips.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Yes, anything with a P3x or G3x chipset from Intel will officially support penryn.

The nVidia 6x0 series chipsets also support.

In addition, many 965 chips sets will "unofficially" support it as well.

The big advantage for penryn will be the following:

=>>>>> Somewhat faster clock for clock - early benches suggest in the 7-8% range accross the board
=>>>>> Lower power draw, especially at idle.
=>>>>> Greater frequency headroom - Highest "official" part I have seen is 3.4 ghz, the expectation is higher.
=>>>>> Better thermals = more overclocking potential.
=>>>>> SSE4 instruction set - A limited set of applications (Mostly video encoding) are up to 125% faster
=>>>>> Radix 16 divider (versus 4 bit on old) dramatically speeds up SOME verctor type calculations (SSE related)

dashbarron

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I'm with you Gamebro, I'm not sure to wait or not for the Penryn chips. Have to see at Christmas what the prices are, assuming they're out by then!

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Yes barron, I bet there are a ton of people out there just like us, watching this very closely =D

Ok, now I have one post here by Crow_Smiling that says they won't overclock too well because of the FSB limitations, but The_vorlon says it has better overclocking potential =?
So what I get from this, is we will be able to overclock the peny rather easily, BUT we won't be able to overclock them much before hitting the 500 barrier correct?
Well I guess that'd be ok, considering they are better chips, and perhaps there wouldn't be a need for ridiculous and large cooling solutions then =D

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

The high FSB / Low multiplier issue ~~may~~ make it harder to overclock with cheap motherboards, but there are tons of board already that will do a 500 mhz+ FSB, some of the really good ones with digital voltage regulation can get into the 600 mhz FSB range.

Many of the GO stepping E6X50 parts will already hit 4.0 ghz on good air cooling, so the expectation is that the 45 nano generation will certainly do better than this.

Also, there will likley be Penryn parts on a slower bus, probably 1066, which will be the value chiips, just like todays Pentium/Core parrts (The 2160/80 parts) are on the 800 fsb bus.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
bump--

Uhm guys, I am even more confused now... Intell says peny will be available on November 12th.... I see no mention of these being server only chips =?

Is it possible we will see desktop versions on the 12th? Also I see a lot of evidence that these will be cheap chips, as they are easier to produce, or a least smaller (cheaper), and intell no doubt wants to nail AMD in the coffin preventing them any kind of holiday sales success no?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
At this point, they are still referencing the XEONs and I have seen nothing else. While they are "Server" chips, there is no reason you can't put them in a desktop.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Sorry Zen, but I feel I need to correct you here. Xeon's are built on a 771 LGA package and not the Desktop 775 LGA package. Xeon's that are packaged in the 775 LGA can be used in desktops. Not sure if they cost more or less than the Desktop equivalent.