Disabling jumping Desktop Icon in portable computer.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In my Toshiba Satellite desktop, icons are automatically tightly
gathered in the left corner. When I drag one to a more convenient
location such as in the center of the screen, the icon jackrabbits to
the left corner as soon as I release the mouse button and does not stay
in where I dragged to. I don't know why the desktop display was designed
that way---I don't see any benefit of it.
The OS is WinXP Home. Because it does not happen in my other WinXP
computers, I must believe that Toshiba engineer modified some kind of
drivers for the desktop screen operation.
I want to stop or disable this automatic homing to the left corner. I
imagine it probably requires editting registry lines. Can anyone tell me
how to do it?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

right click anywhere on your desktop, select arrange icons by, untick auto
arrange
--
there are no problems, just challenges

Chiropter wrote:
> In my Toshiba Satellite desktop, icons are automatically tightly
> gathered in the left corner. When I drag one to a more convenient
> location such as in the center of the screen, the icon jackrabbits to
> the left corner as soon as I release the mouse button and does not
> stay in where I dragged to. I don't know why the desktop display was
> designed that way---I don't see any benefit of it.
> The OS is WinXP Home. Because it does not happen in my other WinXP
> computers, I must believe that Toshiba engineer modified some kind of
> drivers for the desktop screen operation.
> I want to stop or disable this automatic homing to the left corner. I
> imagine it probably requires editting registry lines. Can anyone tell
> me how to do it?

This is usually caused by an incorrectly set clock. If you set your clock to
the correct zone, you'll find that all your problems miraculously vanish.
;o)

Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Too bad you wont vanish withh all the other problems

"Jim" <No@spamme.com> wrote in message
> Too bad you wont vanish withh all the other problems
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message

That's what the Block Senders List is for.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com