Sign in with
Your question

Need a tad bit of help with 2 H2O coolers and 2 CPU's

Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2007 11:38:27 PM

Hello

I have a couple of questions in regards to my system that I have. Below are the specs:

CPU(s): Two AMD FX-74
Video: Two XFX 8800 GTX 768 GPU's in SLI
Mobo: ASUS L1N64-SLI
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB DDR2 PC6400
Optical: Two Lite-On SATA DVD+DL Writers
Hard Drives: Two WD Raptor 150GB in RAID 0 (OS & Games)
Hard Drives: Two Seagate 750GB in RAID 1 (Storage & Backup)
Sound Card: X-Fi Extreme Gamer
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Case: Modified Thermaltake Armour
Power Supply: Antec 850 Watt SLI
Gaming: Saitek X-52 Pro FCS
Cooling: Two Cool-It Systems Eliminators for both CPU's
nVidia Drivers: 169.xx (latest)
Vista 64 Patched with all the DX 10 and other updates

My problem is with my Dual CPU temperatures. The CPU0 (#1) is coming in at 68-71c WITH THE COOLING UNIT!. Now, I have the same cooling unit on the second CPU1 (#2) and that is coming in at 41c with the cooling unit. I have two separate cooling units...one for each CPU. The original Eliminator Cooler was on CPU0 before I got the 2nd CPU and that was at 41c +/-. I then moved that to CPU1 and use the 2nd Eliminator Cooler for CPU0. In my opinion there should not be that much of a difference between the two CPU's as far as temps are concerned. I have both settings on the Eliminators for the fans set on HIGH. Below are some other BIOS specs.

CPU0 Temp: 70c
CPU1 Temp: 41c

CPU0 VCore: 1.456 VDC
CPU1 VCore: 1.472 VDC

This info is from the BIOS. I don't even want to play FSX with 1 CPU much hotter than the other. Currently there is NO overclocking no any components. Everything is set to: AUTO.

Can anyone think of anything that would affect one CPU and and not the other? They both are OEM FX-74's. I did not try swaping them or swaping coolers yet, I just wanted to see if anyone had any similar problems with a dual AMD FX-74 setup. Is a temperature of 41c +/- for a CPU which is not overclocked an ideal value?

Below are some pictures of the layout

December 5, 2007 12:33:00 AM

mmm...offhand, the simplest thing that I can think of is that the CPU experiencing the higher temps might benefit from reseating the waterblock. It may just be something as simple as that - of course, that is the quickest thing I could think of right now.

Now, I've never used any of the Eliminator products (although, I do have exptensive experience using TECs as I use one for my Q6600) so I can comment on their effectiveness. However, I prefer on-die TEC waterblocks to the chiller method that the Eliminators use.

That's a gawd-awful lot of hardware you have in your rig and another thing to think of is that, since the Eliminators use TECs themselves I wonder if your PSU could have some affect on this.

I use to use a 226watt TEC waterblock that was hook up to an Enermax Galaxy 1000 and while that worked for a bit, it eventually burned the PSU because the draw was just too much (I have alot of hardware in my rig as well).

So, all this was just food for thought - some things for you to consider.
December 5, 2007 1:04:13 AM

Hi

Thanks for responding. I think your advice worked! I wiped all the old compound off and heatsink / CPU, reapplied just a tad (pencil erase amount) and whoa! CPU is down to 41c. Amazing how too much silver can create heat retention instead of dissipation.

Thanks again. Now it is time to start thinking about overclocking. I have to ask myself if it is really necessary to overclock, considering how fast it already is.

Related resources
December 5, 2007 1:04:32 AM

Hi

Thanks for responding. I think your advice worked! I wiped all the old compound off the heatsink / CPU, reapplied just a tad (pencil erase amount) and whoa! CPU is down to 41c. Amazing how too much silver can create heat retention instead of dissipation.

Thanks again. Now it is time to start thinking about overclocking. I have to ask myself if it is really necessary to overclock, considering how fast it already is.

December 5, 2007 4:58:37 AM

glad your temperatures are down on that cpu. That is one mean rig you have!
!