System problems with GA-P35-DSR3. NEED HELP

redchicago

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
At the beginning of July I built my computer with a friend. Since day 1 I've had problems with it….. intermittent crashes and reboots.

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core 2 duo e6600
Motherboard: GA-P35-DSR3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Video Card: XFX 8800GTS
Memory: Corsair DDR2 800 (PC26400) 1G x2
PSU- Earthwatt 500w(80 PLUS®certified)- psu in the Antec Sonata III case

All but two times my system has crashed, it has crashed when the computer was idle.

One time I saw it crash, there was a blue screen with the following error before it rebooted:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by:

File: partmgr.sys
Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing

Last night, while I was using my computer, I noticed that the computer got sluggish and would sort of freeze up for 5-10 seconds at a time.. and continue to do be this way for awhile.. here and there. Checking the Event System Log, I had 2 errors get logged serveral times :

• Disk error
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0 during a paging operation
• Atapi Error
The Device \Device\Ide\Ide2Port 2 Did not respond within the timeout period

These same errors have been listed in the Event System Log before the system has had one of its crashes and random reboots.

When my machine has crashed and rebooted, the system has had errors at startup such as:

\"system32\\DRIVERS\\pci.sys\" was missing or corrupt.

• Config.sys missing or corrupt

• Cannot find operating system

All three of the above errors (each error has occurred once) suggest for a Windows Repair. A window repair does not correct the problem.

The most common error I’ve gotten is after crashes and reboots is:

Disk Boot Error, Insert System Disk

Sometimes, I have been able to get my machine up and running again by restarting the machine many many many times in a row, reseating the memory or SATA cable, or by leaving the machine turned off for awhile.

I’ve flashed to the most recent bios and have reformatted my hard drive twice, but none of these actions seems to have improved the problem.

While it could be a memory issues (haven’t run memtest), I don’t think the memory is the likely culprit, as I’ve used 4 different sticks of memory at different times and have had the same problem.

I’ve also run the Seagate long Hard Drive test, which came back with a “pass”.

My best “uneducated” guess is that there is a problem with the motherboard, possibly the SATA or IDE controller/port. Perhaps the SATA cable itself has issues or the hard drive is physically messed up in someway or another.

Unfortunately, this problem seems intermittent. Sometimes, I’ve had it occur multiple days in a row. Other times, a week or 2 might go by without incident.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ground_Comm

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I have the same motherboard and almost the same configuration. I've been experiencing that problem also. I at first thought it was Vista Business, so I went back to XP Professional. My system still reboots everynow and then, and sometimes hangs during post. I've run MEMTEST over night with zero failures, so I know my RAM is not the problem. I'm thinking it's the motherboard, but now that it was mentioned, I suppose it could be a power supply issue.

Ground_Comm

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Same problem here with the same motherboard.

My specs are

CPU: Intel core 2 duo e6600
Motherboard: GA-P35-DSR3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Video Card: eVGA 8800GTS 640 Mb
Memory: OCZ DDR2 1066 (PC8500) 1G x2
PSU- ANTEC Tru 550W PS in Chieftec case

Since I started running 2 Gb of RAM, I disable the page file and have not had any problems until this mother board setup. Same as you TC, my reboots are completely random and spread out. I also get hang ups during POST which now require a hard reboot through the PS to bring the system back up.

I've run Memtest for more than 8 hours straight with zero errors, so in my case, I'm pretty sure the RAM is ok. I'm leaning more towards a faulty motherboard or PS. Keep us posted when you solve this little problem, and i'll do the same.

G

I was experiencing the page faults too. Memtest always found problem with one of my memory sticks.

I upgraded the bios from F4 to F6 and I cannot recreate the problem. Ran Memtest multiple times and no problem detected. Been running problem free for 2 weeks since the upgrade.