Sign in with
Your question

Which Case Is Better?

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2007 12:59:40 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
or

I like the 1st one because it has two 120mm fans and a 140mm side fan while the 2nd one only has two 120s. It's also $15 cheaper. The 2nd one looks nicer and I believe the brand is better (not sure). What would you guys recommend? It's going to be used in a $400ish setup.

EDIT: I threw in the 3rd one because it's the same price as #2...

More about : case

September 14, 2007 6:06:10 AM

Hi there iyzmi

Out of those the first option, the XION Onyx XON-303, is the most attractive.

Number of fans isn't so much the issue, as how big they are, their positioning, and how efficiently they move air. But I'm sure you know this.

Personally, take a look at some of Thermaltake's rigs, especially the Aurora chassis - personally, I like room in a case, but also has the advantage of letting you play around inside, without hampering your necessary airflow. Also, what I don't like about these rigs is that it looks like the PSU is real cosy in there, and a PSU (personal opinion) I reckon, must have a fan or two, as its bearing the brunt of 110/220v from the wall socket, so it is a high-heat, high stress piece of equipment. Keeping it cool can't get you in a bad place.

Also, cruise the market, there are some really awesome cases out there, some unconventional designs, that, in dollars, would be more affordable to you than to me using South African Rands. Best of luck.
September 15, 2007 1:12:22 AM

Well I looked through Newegg and was trying to stay under the $50 mark, I went slightly over with the last 2 cases but no biggy. I found that sorting the results by rebate gave me expensive cases for the price of regular cheap cases. I didnt see any Thermaltake cases in this price range. I think the 2nd case looks more unique and overall cool but again, the 1st case has more fans (which I think equals better cooling).

The 2nd has an Air Duct instead of a fan on the side. Is this better or worse than option 1 which has a fan instead of a duct? Also, the 2nd is Aluminum...
Related resources
September 15, 2007 1:56:59 AM

Just don't trust XION to send your rebate. I bought a XION case this year and they ripped me off.
September 15, 2007 1:57:22 AM

I have the green version of the Xion case. it is pretty good, but there are no raised screw holes for the far side of the motherboard, so either you have to put in spacers or your motherboard will bend every time you plug something in on that side. It really is no big deal just thought you aught to know. the USB and sound jacks are easy to install because they have one piece connectors that go on the pins instead of connecting each wire individually.
September 15, 2007 2:23:02 AM

Well I don't plan on upgrading much, so I'll only be plugging stuff into the mobo while I'm building it. I like that case #2 is aluminum which equals better cooling. Is that 140mm fan the Xion has a big plus or no?
September 15, 2007 2:43:29 AM

Well I don't really need the eSATA port because I don't use external HDDs. That case only has 1 3.5" opening while I need two, one for a floppy drive and one for an internal card reader. This feature can be overlooked if that case really is far superior to the other two. I won't be running a super hot gaming PC, just an AMD 64 x2 4000+ or 4200+ with a $50-$70 vid card. My room gets very hot in the summer so I still want to get as much cooling as possible.
September 15, 2007 3:02:15 AM

I dont like idea about geting airflow from botom, it just bring more nasty stuff from ground into power supply and it also dont help bring heated air from case as it only cycle air inside power supply.

PS: Whats with that message about me not allowed to edit my own post ???
September 15, 2007 3:03:17 AM

Can't I get the mobo to control my fan speeds?
September 15, 2007 3:09:40 AM

Also, far as 2 3.5" external bays, just do what I will be doing: card reader/floppy combo. This way, all you need is one bay.
September 15, 2007 3:09:44 AM

iyzmi said:
Can't I get the mobo to control my fan speeds?

Ofcourse you can if your mobo have more conectors for fan, but i think it generaly better use quiet low RPM fans.
have 800rpm 12cm fan on CPU keeping my opty at 30-36°C and no way i can hear it in distance greater then 20cm from it :) 
September 15, 2007 3:12:38 AM

runswindows95 said:
Also, far as 2 3.5" external bays, just do what I will be doing: card reader/floppy combo. This way, all you need is one bay.

Btw why you guys still using Floppy ? I didnt used mine from 2001. CD-RW or flashdisc is cheaper and better solution, as for booting from it can make bootable cd without problem.
September 15, 2007 3:17:10 AM

Easy. I still install Windows 98 on old systems that I give away for free that can't run XP. Also, for BIOS updates and RAID drivers, floppies are easier to use.

Back to the OP's original question, I'm getting the case that supremelaw suggested for my new rig.
September 15, 2007 3:29:19 AM

runswindows95 said:
Easy. I still install Windows 98 on old systems that I give away for free that can't run XP. Also, for BIOS updates and RAID drivers, floppies are easier to use.

Back to the OP's original question, I'm getting the case that supremelaw suggested for my new rig.

Vista and or linux dont need raid drivers on floppy and i did modify XP instalation CD with most drivers for my PC so i dont need floppy for that and had some isues once when new bios plus flash program plus boot files dint get into 1.44 floppy, reason i did make bootable cd with bios on it 1st time, it usualy take about 30s to make one and burn it and usualy dont have problem with reading errors like floppy.
September 15, 2007 3:35:33 AM

Getting floppy and card reader seperate is slightly cheaper and it makes no difference to me if they're in 1 unit or 2 units. I guess 1 3.5" slot is ok too...
September 15, 2007 3:40:40 AM

To each his own, xrodney. Besides, if you look at my users name, you can see why I still use floppies.
September 15, 2007 3:56:54 AM

I miss DOS. It's was great for gaming. Actually, on my Windows 95 system, I have the original DOOM on it. Old school!
September 16, 2007 2:18:05 AM

What is the cheapest case fan controller I can plug all my fans into and have them all run according to temp. I searched newegg but couldn't find one with a temp sensor.
September 16, 2007 9:13:45 PM

$130 for a case that will be used for a midrange practically non-gaming PC? No thank you.
September 18, 2007 6:34:02 PM

Yeah, besides, the Antec 900 > Windtunnel
!