Sign in with
Your question

Building Gaming Rig, need advice.

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2007 10:43:05 AM

I'm building my second gaming PC, I haven't made one in 4 years, I'm rusty but have a friend thats an IT master so im not going this alone.

My budget is 3,000.00

The following is what i currently have in mind i have been juggling between AMD or Intel

I'm not buying anything for a few weeks so there is time to move things around.

*Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz
* ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
*2x Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (4gb total)
*1x 150GB Western Dig Raptor 10k RPM
*1x 320GB Western Dig 7200
*1x EVGA GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768mb
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz
*1x Samsung Light scribe DVD/CD burner
*BFG Tech Ageia Psyx Card 128bit
* COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution
*1000w Cooler master Real power Power supply (comes with the case)
*1x Thermaltake Big Typhoon Heatsink or the Zalman CNPS9500 AT

*Windows Vista (gonna run XP til SP1)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
September 9, 2007 11:02:49 AM

IMO drop the Phys-x card unless your going SLI (from what I have read not many games are supported fully anyway and what games are supported if you do run it requires alot of GFX power as it actually lower's your FPS by putting out more for your card to process) its realism vs smoothness.... but this is only from what I have read (I could be totally wrong).

Many people here are going to say go with a 8800GTX and OC it rather than an ULTRA... but I say if an ULTRA is what you want, get an ULTRA.

I would recommend dropping the PSU a bit as 1000w isn't really required from what I have been informed for a system like that, but seen as it comes with your case... meh.

I will stop here as I am no expert by any means, but I will say make sure the RAM you are choosing is on Asus' QVL list as I have been looking at the same MB and have already had enough troubles finding the right RAM for it.
September 9, 2007 11:33:37 AM

If u play @ very high resolutions ,then get a SLI motherboard , if not , then go for a P35 board ,

for PSU , i recommend u getting OCZ PROXSTREAM 1000 or THERMATLAKE TOUGH POWER 1000 or 1200

Dont get Ageia Psyx card ,its a waste of money

Get a 8800GTX and OC it , 8800ULTRA isnt worth it , there are many users including me who have OC their 8800GTX to ULTRA or even further

E6850 is good , but you MIGHT want to look @ Q6600 , although it depends on what u do :

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q660...

Related resources
September 9, 2007 12:07:18 PM

Zero was right i about the memory, i finally found compadable memory its been edited above^

I'm gonna keep the 1000w because i plan on getting 8900 series and 9k series as soon as they are released, and throw them on SLI. Also im gonna have 6+ fans in the case.
September 9, 2007 1:29:09 PM

OCZ PROXSTREAM and TT 1000WAT are better than that cooler master
September 9, 2007 2:05:51 PM

Just from what I've heard(I'm not an expert), make sure to get windows vista 64 bit. It will be able to use you 4gigs of ram.
September 9, 2007 2:35:04 PM

Get a Q6600, don't bother with dual core anymore.

Don't bother with a SLI board unless you plan on it, upgrading to another single card solution, to this day, seems the most logical way to go. By the time a second Ultra falls in price for you to slot it in, the next gen cards blow both of yours away. But, it is nifty to have, so I'm not arguing it really.

Go for a GTX, the Ultra is just a waste of cash on a first gen DX10 card.

Don't bother with the Physyx card. Programmers should use CPU cores that are mainly Idle to handle such tasks. I hope that Physyx never takes "hold" as a standard. Having to worry about the next CPU and Videocard to upgrade is expensive enough without giving a new BS company a chance to rip us off when our systems have multi-core chips in place. What's next, a Hope and Wishful Thinking card we need to supplement our multi-core chips workload? Meh...

You don't need any more than 800W for your comp, try for 700W even, save some $$$. Just pay attention to the amps on your 12V rail and get a Thermaltake or Seasonic PSU, pref. Seasonic. Make sure it is SLI certified, more amps and a second PCI-E power cord will be waiting should you go SLI at any point without having to mess with adapters, or be lacking amps.

Is your copy of XP OEM that you used on another comp? If it is, you need to buy another copy of XP then, just so you don't burn your key. At this point though, I'd just get a Vistax64 OEM, SP1 should be out soon. But if you have the money, go XP and hang on to it FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. Then get Vistax64 upgrade, and use the clean install trick.

September 9, 2007 3:38:11 PM

I had an OEM copy on a computer and I upgraded the RAM, then the mobo, then the GFX card. Then I built an entirely new computer and put it on there. Everytime i was able to activate it over the internet without problems. I think microsoft has relaxed their policys quite a bit
!