rockman_d

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Basically, my PC will power up immediately after I plug in the power cord or turn on the PSU power switch. Normally, I should have to turn on the power switch on the case before it powers up. As far as I can remember, it never used to do this. I've tried another PSU, but I still have the same problem. So, could the case switch possibly be faulty?

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
check your BIOS settings, i'm guessing that you have the default 'after power failure' selection set to power on, The case switch is a Push to make button, if it was faulty either it would not work at all or it would start up and shut down 4 seconds later.

rockman_d

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007

I didn't realize there was such a setting in the BIOS, and I'd love to check it, but my motherboard was fried (4 beeps = System timer failure) by this problem while I was switching out a GPU. My PSU appeared to be acting up as well forcing me to reset it with the red button at the back of it. Could this be related?

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
"Unplug the power cord before you pick up the screwdriver."

Probably is related, although from my PC-shop techie days I used to see this issue quite frequently, no matter what the BIOS setting was. It seems as if what happens is that the Power-On control circuitry on the motherboard is starting to develop some fault(s). It's not (usually) the PSU.

I could be wrong.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I guess this is usually a MB/BIOS problem. Check the power switch cable (remove, exchange with reset button or test it with a connection tester). Try a BIOS reset. OR you could update your BIOS entirely. If this all doesn't help the MB has an issue.