Sign in with
Your question

how to add a SATA HHD to my comp as a slave for storage?

Last response: in Storage
February 14, 2008 2:20:17 PM

i have a SOYO kt 880 dragon2 mobo. i got a 80 gig hdd ide as my primary. but i got 2 Satas 250 gig hhds . i want to add them to my comp for storage . how do i configure tha bios to get windows to reconize them?
a b G Storage
February 14, 2008 2:34:49 PM

Install the hard drives.
Go into the bios and maker sure the SATA connections are turned on.
Boot to windows and goto disk management. From there you can initilize the drives and format them.
February 14, 2008 3:12:50 PM

tehhardpro FTW!!!

dont configure the bios
plug them in, turn on puter.
Related resources
February 14, 2008 4:40:34 PM

You shouldn't need to configure anything in BIOS other than to make sure that SATA is enabled. Also, with SATA you don't have to deal with master/slave like you did with PATA. One note: some older SATA 1 motherboards have trouble with SATA II drives... but I'm not well versed in the specifics. In most cases though all you need to do is plug them in, format them, and you should be ready to go.

-mcg
February 15, 2008 1:48:21 AM

k thanks ill try that now. tha SATA HHD still has a os on it will it conflict with my IDE HHD thats my primary drive when it boots?
February 15, 2008 1:56:06 AM

no it shouldn't conflict, as long as the drive you want to boot from is the the first boot device. but I would format the newly installed drives
February 15, 2008 2:47:20 AM

crazywheels said:
no it shouldn't conflict, as long as the drive you want to boot from is the the first boot device. but I would format the newly installed drives

ok, yea im going to reformate it soon as its installed :) 
February 15, 2008 3:05:25 AM

yeah, just remember to boot from the 80gig ide drive, and you should be all set.
February 15, 2008 7:12:46 PM

well in tha bios i enabled tha SATA and restarted and windows loads and i went to disk management and nope its not there. does it matter which SATA port that i use theres like 4 of them.
!