Lightscribe destroying my computer?

lightprocess

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
So I used Nero 7's Lightscribe burning program (CoverDesigner or something) today for the first time, just to see what this whole Lightscribe thing was about. It took about 18 minutes to burn a fairly large image, so no issue there.

The problem is that during the whole duration of the burning process, my computer completely crapped out. That is, it would take upwards of 2 minutes to just open a windows explorer folder, and about 5 minutes to open IE7 among other programs I attempted to run. The strange thing is CPU usage was minimal (for the whole system, only 1-2% max). This can't be normal Lightscribe behavior, right?

What could be causing my system to choke so badly? I'm using an Asus sata burner.

Thanks in advance for any help.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
In my experience Asus dont make quality burners. I have one right now. It takes a while to load, "especially burned disks." Probably something that can be fixed with firmware. My model was new in Nov 07, so I think someday they might make better firmware.

You might want to make sure its running in DMA mode and not PIO mode in device manager.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
actually, I have found ANY burning (either data or an image on a lightscribe disk) takes the computer to its knees. Its just a boat load of data going to and from the hdd and burner. CPU usage can be low, but still have a **** of I/O going on

lightprocess

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Burning CD's and DVD's is fine on my system, maybe a hiccup or two but for the most part smooth sailing. It's nothing like Lightscribing, my system just gets absolutely clogged, although it's a good excuse for me to leave my desk for 20 minutes.

sailer

Splendid
I have an ASUS with Lightscribe ability myself. The drive works just fine, but using the Lightscribe does take up all the resources that my computer has. When burning a disc like that, I take time to go have a donut and some coffee, or do some reading. And yes, using up the computer resources and taking a lot of time is normal Lightscribe behavior, at least from all the burners that I've seen.

lightprocess

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for the all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. To update, I've made sure I have the most up-to-date firmware, drivers and burning software but none of that has helped much. After testing a little more, I found that most of the lag, i.e., complete system lockup, takes place when the drive is preparing to 'scribe. During this time, the countdown to finishing ticks down but resets every 10 seconds. After about 2-3 minutes of this the drive actually begins to burn and countdown properly, the lag decreases but it's still enough to be a little annoying. I can browse the internets but I get lag spikes every 30 seconds or so, lasting less maybe 5-10 seconds. Some relevant info that: CPU usage is minimal, the burning program takes around 415 mb ram, and the hard drive appears to be entirely occupied by Lightscribe.

I think for now I'll just accept my drive's shortcoming; I don't Lightscribe very often and otherwise the drive functions flawlessly. I'll report back if I notice any fixes or improvements.

Neil B

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
LightScribe is tough on your computer. Even if you have a fast one with lots of RAM it still demands a lot of your comp's resources. The LightScribe requires all that just to make a monotone disc label. Worse, the label often comes out too light to read fine text. I switched over to another disc labeling system called the DiscPainter by Dymo. It prints color photo and text labels right on any printable disc in just 1 minute (@600 dpi). Dump the LS and run with the DP IMHO.

455olds

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I am having the same problem. I tried disabling other programs in task manager but I had no luck.
Same thing as lightprocess said,not much cpu or ram usage but computer is freezing.
My specs
Antec 900 case, Intel Core i7 965, Antec Signature 650 power supply, G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 DDR3 1600,Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit (tv tuner),SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S202N,Vista Ultimate 64-bit,GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard, 2 WD6401AALS 640GB (raid), 8600gt gpu
Let me know if anyone hears of a solution. Thanks