Your question

Question on P182 Airflow for Overclocking Q6600

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Overclocking
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 14, 2007 7:44:23 PM

Universal Pacakage Smashers destroyed my computer in shipping...bad news everything was destroyed...good news is it was insured and I get to buy a new setup now.

I've been looking at getting a P182. Seems like a solid case and provides a decent number of fan placements. I am planning to overclock a Q6600 (probably in the 3-3.2 range so nothing too drastic). I will also be running one 8800 GTX to start with a plan to expand to a SLi setup when I get a larger monitor.

Three Questions:

One: Will a Zalman 9700 or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fit in the case?

Two: Does the P182 provide for enough air flow to keep the Q6600 OCed cool with one of the above mentioned heatsinks? I will be installing fans in all applicable points within the box and will also be removing the middle 3.5 bay cage for the air flow/ enough room for 8800 GTXs to fit.

Three: I usually use Thermaltake Toughpower power, but NewEgg has a deal for a P182 with an Antec PSU. Is the Antec Truepower Quattro 1000 PSU good enough to run an SLi setup and is it a quality power supply?

Thanks

More about : question p182 airflow overclocking q6600

September 14, 2007 8:22:53 PM

Get the Q6600 from here ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping, it will OC to 3.0G no problem.

I would get the Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme with the Scythe S-flex 120 F fan. It will fit that case no problem. Newegg's price on that fan is outrageous get it from here Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Silent Fan Be aware that the Ultra 120 on heatsinkfactory.com doesn't come with mounting hardware.

Heatsinkfactory.com also has IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound - 1.5 gram, which is supposedly the best TIM. Here is a short review IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound Short Review I saw a better review but I can't find it. If you use it then apply it with a razor blade, it is a little sticky.

That power supply will not only power that configuration but is overkill.
September 14, 2007 8:53:44 PM

I have a 182, and an e6750, - great case.

Lots of fans, and quiet to boot.

I installed a pump and 2 radiators on the inside. one on the rear 120 fan and one where the center drive cage was, behind that 120.

Resevoir went in a bay, and got a swiftech waterblock for the cpu, and one for the 8800 GTX.

At 3.4, and an 8800 Ultra bios at load, my cpu is 34 c and the 8800 hits 53 c running atitool. This in a 23c room.

My old e6600 hit 54c on a ninja cooler and the 8800 was always 80-85 under load on the stock cooler.

Great thing about the case is the top 120 fan hole, and the three speed settings on the fans. I run all but the rear 120 in low, and the rear on medium.

Very nice!
Related resources
September 14, 2007 9:53:15 PM

If you don't mind having a "not so quiet" case then get the Antec Nine Hundred. It has a great airflow, and its 20cm top fan is great. Little noisy for people who likes quiet PC, but I love it.

The 2 best thermal compounds in the market now are the Shin Etsu X23 (never used by me tho, some great reviews in this very site), and Coolaboratory Liquid Pro (the one I use, IMO the best).

CLP requires having previous experience with thermal compounds, because it actually is liquid metal, and you can short your MOBO if not correctly applied.

SE X23 is like an Arctic Silver, but much better. Easier to apply than CLP (not so soft as AS5 tho) and you don't have any electrical risks.
September 17, 2007 4:18:59 AM

plguzman said:
If you don't mind having a "not so quiet" case then get the Antec Nine Hundred. It has a great airflow, and its 20cm top fan is great. Little noisy for people who likes quiet PC, but I love it.

The 2 best thermal compounds in the market now are the Shin Etsu X23 (never used by me tho, some great reviews in this very site), and Coolaboratory Liquid Pro (the one I use, IMO the best).

CLP requires having previous experience with thermal compounds, because it actually is liquid metal, and you can short your MOBO if not correctly applied.

SE X23 is like an Arctic Silver, but much better. Easier to apply than CLP (not so soft as AS5 tho) and you don't have any electrical risks.
You missed one very important, and potentially very damaging, thing to consider when deciding whether to use Coolaboratory Liquid Pro.

Quote:
SVC, Silicon Valley Compucycle - Coolaboratory Liquid Pro

Specifications

1) Coolaboratory Liquid Pro was designed for use with high quality coolers made of copper or silver. Aluminum coolers are unsuitable for use with Liquid Pro.

DO NOT USE ALUMINUM COOLERS! Do not allow Liquid Pro to come in contact with any aluminum surfaces. Aluminum is not resistant against Liquid Pro and will result in damages to any aluminum surface.

Quote:
cl-liquidpro.pdf

10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
10.1 Conditions to be avoided:
With aluminum and with following addition of water exothermically.
10.2 Substances to be avoided:
Halogeneous one, hydrogen peroxide/hydrogen chloride, chlorine, bromine, aluminum
10.3 Other information:
The product has an alloying effect on metal surfaces, especially light metals. If necessary,
the product should be tested under the specific conditions to determine any reactions with
materials and chemical substances.
September 17, 2007 4:42:29 AM

Zorg, you are right... My bad. Its an amazing product, but it has it's issues that have to be considered.
September 17, 2007 4:49:01 AM

I looked at it a while ago, but that reactivity stuff put me off of it. You should check out that Diamond paste, it has really good heat transfer and none of the side effects.

Edit: I found the review I was looking for. Here it is Diamond Thermal Grease Testing. It appears these guys really know TIM testing.
September 17, 2007 10:24:23 AM

rorus said:

One: Will a Zalman 9700 or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fit in the case?

Just installed a 9700 in my P182. It fits with fine with some extra room left over....
!