Help installing fan and cooler on CPU

AnUnQuietMind

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have a Antec 900 case, and I have installed the Thermalight 120 Extreme, with a Scythe 120 fan. My question is:

Which way to I point the CPU Cooler? Up towards the huge fan on top of the Antec 900, or towards the rear case exhaust fan?

Depending on that answer, do I put the fan blowing "through" the cpu cooler, or install it on the side that will be closest to either case fan and have it "pulling" air through?

Thanks!

joelbaby

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Hi,

do you actually have a choice?

If you are using an LGA775 socket, you will be forced to orient the heatsink fins so that they draw air from the front to the back of the case.

If you are doing an AMD installation, then you will point to the fan to the top.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_installation_u120_extreme.htm

If you somehow manage to have a choice (but its not obvious how to do this from the installation link from thermalright), then why not try both orientations, and use some CPU Temp monitoring software to see which works best.

Joel

lufen

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I use an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and the Antec 900 case. I opted to point the fan upwards towards the 200mm fan to get rid of the hot air quickly. You can set that fan on max and it's still pretty quiet.

AnUnQuietMind

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I actually ended up pointing the fan up. I used artic compound on the unit. I first used my finger to apply it because no instructions came with the compound, and I just didn't know. Then I found this http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelcmq.html after the fact, so I used Artic's cleaning kit to take the compound back off and then reapply it. Thankfully the system was never fired up before I caught the error about my finger. As to how much to apply...I really didn't have much of a choice. They make it look easy in the picture, but the stuff goes on like cake. I now have a pretty thick layer of this crap on, and I couldn't do much about it. I haven't gotten to loading the OS yet because I am having floppy problems and I can't load the RAID drivers yet. I am trying to find a work around, then when I get into the OS, I will start checking out temps. and report back.