Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP Pro refuses to boot\log-in

Last response: in Windows XP
March 2, 2010 8:35:42 AM

I have a XP PRO with SP3 installed.System is a Older AMD 64 x2 3200 with 2 meg of ram, agp video card and x2 160 gig HDD's.
M/B by Gigabite.Newer Pwr supply last year.
I just d\l a version of a A\V trial version of Viper and rebooted my system and now it fails to get past the logon screen before rebooting.
Even with using my XP Pro CD and trying safe mode I get the same response..sometimes I get to key in my p\w(which it says is incorrect),other times it reboots before I can finish typing the p\w in..This is the first time I have had this problem.no error Mssg's, no BSOD, just keeps rebooting.
Any Suggestions ,cures??
March 2, 2010 3:02:18 PM

If you're looking to use a free AV, look into Antivir or Avast.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 3:04:19 PM

^ +1
Both are good and free.
m
l
March 2, 2010 11:51:17 PM

Kenredfox767 said:
I have a XP PRO with SP3 installed.System is a Older AMD 64 x2 3200 with 2 meg of ram, agp video card and x2 160 gig HDD's.
M/B by Gigabite.Newer Pwr supply last year.
I just d\l a version of a A\V trial version of Viper and rebooted my system and now it fails to get past the logon screen before rebooting.
Even with using my XP Pro CD and trying safe mode I get the same response..sometimes I get to key in my p\w(which it says is incorrect),other times it reboots before I can finish typing the p\w in..This is the first time I have had this problem.no error Mssg's, no BSOD, just keeps rebooting.
Any Suggestions ,cures??

I tried the methods suggested and even with the XP Pro CD I get the boot from CD press the any key and FUBAR user screen still appears!I even put system into safe mode and disabled HDD option to force CD-only use and still.....same reboot mess.

P.S. I have F=secure at present and wanted to try a different A\V program.Have tried "freeware" and was less than impressed by the outcome.Nothing against "freeware",just my choice.
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:10:09 AM

Try resetting the BIOS.

Try booting with 1 RAM chip at a time.

Boot into the BIOS, and see what your CPU temps look like.
m
l
March 3, 2010 3:52:31 AM

Temps are as follows:
cpu 49 c
system 39 c.
v-core 1.35
ddr @ 2.53
I tried blowing out system,removing ram banks and switching them around removing bios battery resetting bios all to no avail....
Anyone got a rubber hammer???
Had something similar with a dead bios battery in the distant past but don't think that could be this.
m
l
March 3, 2010 11:08:26 AM

Your CPU temp is slightly high, but not dangerously.

When you tried booting off the windows disc, you saw the message to 'press any key...' right? You pressed a normal key, such as a letter, number, enter..etc? And did it then try booting off the hard drive instead?
m
l
March 3, 2010 3:41:52 PM

Exactly! I tried the CD in the drive and after doing " hit any key" letters,numbers,etc. option the farthest I have be able to get is to the menu of restore or continue.Unfortunately,the keyboard doesn't seem to function at that point and system goes to the user menu and....reboots.
m
l
March 3, 2010 3:57:56 PM

Boot back into the BIOS settings, and make sure your type of keyboard (usb or ps2) is enabled.
m
l
March 5, 2010 3:28:21 AM

Checked bios setting for keyboard and discovered that both USB keyboard and mouse setting were disabled(?)and reset them to enabled...followed repair instructions exactly and repair did it's thing untill the system shutoff,restarted and put me into xp install mode.Re-install went well,and user screen appeared.Entered p\w and desktop background appeared and... POOF! system shut down(3x this happened.Put the CD back in and I only get to an empty desk top w/o a taskbar,startup,or programs,tried clt\alt\del and not even that prog would work nice background...no programs
AND system shut off....
Wonder if Bios battery might have something to do with it all...
m
l
March 5, 2010 3:33:49 AM

When you get to the desktop, try ctrl, alt, + del. Open the task manager-->file-->new task-->type explorer.exe

m
l
March 9, 2010 2:16:58 AM

Thanks for the effort in spite of failure we had in finding a solution....system even after a new battery,a restore session via XP CD disk,still reaches only a certain point after logging in and reboots.
Sigh!
LTR,
KZ
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:26:20 AM

Ok, temps are alright, you tried the system restore. The problem may be the drive itself. Go to the hard drive manufacturer's website, and download their hard drive diagnostic tool. You can use that to scan your hard drive for errors.
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:21:52 PM

Ran the WD diag. tool via another drive(had enough free space to setup a second copy of XP to load the software).drive is running slow with bad sectors on it.I am trying to recover my programs like FFox with all my current settings and the music and Photos so I can load them to a external HDD and then repair\replace the current drive.I have read that because I upgraded my XP from the CD with SP2 to a downloaded SP3 that the MS music program and updated IE d\led that's the maid reason that I been having problems with the repair of the SP2 org. CD getting the job done.Something about the repair getting confused by trying to replace a previous version over a newer one.
m
l
March 16, 2010 2:28:21 PM

Good thinking in backing up your data. The WD diagnostic tools are pretty good. That should tell you if there's any hope for your current drive or not.

Good luck.
m
l
!