My New System will NOT recognize CD or CD/DVD drives.

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I am building a new computer with an ASUS P5K Deluxe MB, a WD 500GB SATA HD, and one EIDE CD/DVD drive and one EIDE CD drive. When I first booted the computer, it saw the CD Drive, loaded windows XP with no problem. Now I want to load the ASUS drivers, which are on a DVD, so I can get on the internet, etc. I installed a liteon model SHW-160P6S CD/DVD drive. Windows will not detect either cd or cd/dvd drive. The BIOS does not show these drives either. Disk management does not show these drives. How do I get my system to recognize these drives?

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I think I have figured it out. My ASUS P5K deluxe MB has an EIDI cable, but it is for a 3 1/2 floppy and not for DVD or CD drives. My MB has six SATA connectors. I will buy a SATA DVD drive and I am sure it will work.

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I just bought an external USB CD/DVD drive and I have loaded the ASUS drivers. You are correct, and I do have 1 pata cable and one EIDI cable. I have the EIDI cable (slightly larger) connected to my internal EIDI CD and DVD drives and windows nor BIOS will recognize them. I think if I bought a SATA CD/DVD drive, I would be okay unless you know something different?