q6600 all cores working??

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hellow~~
um
i was going to get q6600
but my friend said that all cores will not work..
is it true
so he said to get 6000+
when i play games,, do all cores work??
i dont play high requiremented games

really isn't any game that uses 2 cores much less 4 cores. A few tried to add some support for dual cpus and since most games doesn't even need that much cpu power, useless anyway. More of a waste of time until developers catch up. 2 core cpus is the way to go unless you're into programming that can benefit from quad cpus.

If you do allot of video/audio encoding with the right software all cores will get a workout....for games....within a year all cores will be used by more and more games(dont worry dual core will still be powerful in 2 years...for the most part) as well as apps....

For the price(they are cheap for a quad) you can fold on the extra cores :)

If you are just looking to game for the next year or 2...your best bet may be a higher clocked dual core model....

If you do not mind over clocking the quad(and duals) over clock well....

I use quad and am more then happy with it

Games that will benefit from 4 cores include Flight Simulator, Supreme Commander, Crysis, Hellgate London. Many more will support 4 cores in the future. I would say your friend is clueless, but maybe he was just making fun of you :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I don't think you are asking the right questions.
What do you want to do with your computer.

If you don't do alot with your PC, you have many cheaper and probably better options.

What is your Current PC.
What do you like to do with it?
What do you want to do with it?
How much do you want to spend?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The CPU is perfectly fine.
Much more powerful than the X2 6000+
This chip will easily hit 3.0Ghz with a moderate OC.
A "Freezer Pro" CPU cooler would work nice too.
Under $20 at New Egg at the moment.
At such speeds, its much more powerful than anything with X2-6000+ can do, even when highly Overclocked.

If you are having gaming issues, it's likely your Graphics card.

For Reference, See -
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-e2160_14.html#sect0

This site also has reviews of the 6000+ and the E4400.

What you will see is that the 6000+ is not even close to the E6800 in its review.

However, the E2160 can match or beat the E6800.
The E4400, however, can clock the same and has twice the cache so at the same speed is faster than the E2160.

In short, your CPU is just fine.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Note: The E4400 has a default FSB of only 400mhz.
You will definitely want to increase this to get good performance from your chip.

If you are not very familiar with Overclocking, you can try and set your FSB speed in your bios from 200Mhz to 266Mhz. This is the speed that most C2Ds run at by default and will really help performance.

Also, this will only take your chip to about 2.6ghz.
This is a very very low speed for this chip and you will have no worries about heat or other concerns that could arise with higher OCs.