Sign in with
Your question

Network transfer speed slow only on one computer

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2009 4:58:16 PM

I have 3 computers on my network. One is wired to the router and two others wireless. Internet runs fast on all machines. The two wireless PC's receive an "excellent" signal. Two running Vista and one running XP. Trouble is my XP machine is having terrible transfer speeds on the network. I can transfer files between the Vista machines with no problems. When I so much as try to view files off the Xp machine it's take a lifetime. Its annoying because I like to grab music and pictures from all the computers but its ridiculously slow. It goes the same the other way too. If I'm on the XP machine its the same. Lots of timed out errors on larger files. Anyone know a solution?

Using Netgear wireless router with WEP security.
January 31, 2009 10:34:18 PM

Lemonbud said:
I have 3 computers on my network. One is wired to the router and two others wireless. Internet runs fast on all machines. The two wireless PC's receive an "excellent" signal. Two running Vista and one running XP. Trouble is my XP machine is having terrible transfer speeds on the network. I can transfer files between the Vista machines with no problems. When I so much as try to view files off the Xp machine it's take a lifetime. Its annoying because I like to grab music and pictures from all the computers but its ridiculously slow. It goes the same the other way too. If I'm on the XP machine its the same. Lots of timed out errors on larger files. Anyone know a solution?

Using Netgear wireless router with WEP security.

It can be any number of things. The XP, this is a wireless laptop? What wireless NIC card is in it?
February 1, 2009 1:07:51 AM

No it's a desktop PC using a PCI wireless card. I noticed too that the signal strenght is excellent, but the speed can go from 54Mbps and drop dont dramatically to 1Mbps. Then it goes up again. I can place my Vista wireless laptop right next to the XP machine and it works great. This is confusing.
!