Fresh Windows XP Install hangs?

Tags:
  • Virus
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 2, 2010 9:40:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Late lastnight I was attacked by a nasty virus that wouldn't give control of my computer back, every attempt at a "System Restore" was met by the virus blocking my attempt. I was able to do a "System Restore" via "Safe Mode" but strange things began to happen even after the restore point, so I saved as many family pictures as possible. Bottomline, is there a safe way to scan my thumb drive for virus so that I can add my family pictures to my new fresh install?

Thank you, I appreciate any assistance!

Regards, Systemlord.

More about : fresh windows install hangs

March 2, 2010 10:08:50 AM

Cd or Dvd is better option for backup data's from virus infected system, bcz virus easily move to pendrives,

.. try to get hirens bootcd & use live xp to copy your files to pendrive, it may save you..make sure that "show hidden files & folders " is enabled & uncheck "hide extension for known file types & hide procted OS files" it may help to avoid selecting only photos while moving to pendrive rather than selecting hidden virus in the folders.
m
l

Best solution

March 2, 2010 10:59:09 AM

Boot into safe mode with networking. Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan, including your flash drive.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Related resources
March 2, 2010 8:13:03 PM

Thanks guys for the helpful advice, I just downloaded the Malware program and for the record in the five years of owning my two computers I have never added any virus killing software. I have some backed up files on DVD-R and some on thumb drives, do I install what's on the DVD-Rs then run the malware scan or can I scan just the disc before I copy the files to my computer? I have a few questions regarding programs like the Malware program, calling it malware does this program find just malware or does it also take care of viruses also? Is it the kill all be all defence for my computer that will take care of any threat?

Thank a lot guys, Systemlord!
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:32:59 PM

I believe malwarebytes will scan DVDs. I'm not sure if I've tried that. It for sure will scan flash drives. You just plug them in, and check mark the box to scan it.

Plug in the flash drive, put your disc in the tray, and when you're in safe mode with networking, do the steps I mentioned above. If you've got malware (trojans, worms, adware...etc), Malwarebytes will likely find and remove it.

The free version of Malwarebytes is just a scanner. It doesn't provide real time protection. For that, I use Avira. It's got real time protection, and live updates.
http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:42:57 PM

Best answer selected by systemlord.
m
l
March 2, 2010 8:53:42 PM

I ran the malware program (full scan) with the link provided and it found a total of three infected files, two within Windows and one in my thumb drive. How in the world did malware get into my 12 hour old fresh install of Windows XP? Should I just install what's on my DVD-R and run full scan? Also should I delete the infected files in quarantine?

Quote:
Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D7DF6C2A-03A1-471C-B78A-BA654CBE7F04}\RP12\A0000954.dll (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D7DF6C2A-03A1-471C-B78A-BA654CBE7F04}\RP12\A0002204.dll (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\userinit.exe (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

m
l
March 2, 2010 11:32:24 PM

I think you can safely delete the first two.

Download Avira, and scan that 3rd item. It could be a false positive, and that file is necessary to log into your profile.
http://www.avira.com/en/download/index.php
m
l
March 2, 2010 11:33:09 PM

Once you get everything installed on your computer, you'll want to run another full scan to verify that it's clean.
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:54:24 AM

aford10 said:

Download Avira, and scan that 3rd item. It could be a false positive, and that file is necessary to log into your profile.

How will I know what to delete and what not to delete, if you hadn't told me that I needed that file for my profile I would have deleted it! Now you know why I refrained from using these types of programs, a false positive could just as well be my next wrench in the machine. Now I am unsure about using these types of programs, how in the future will I know if it's a false positive?

Thanks
Systemlord.
m
l
March 3, 2010 2:13:39 AM

:)  Don't worry. Malwarebytes is a very good program. 99% of the time, if it thinks it's malware, it is. That's why running Avira will help confirm it.

Any AV can have false positives.

If by chance, you do delete a system file, you can replace it by repairing your windows install, using your windows disc.
m
l
March 3, 2010 2:16:24 AM

aford10 said:
:)  Don't worry. Malwarebytes is a very good program. 99% of the time, if it thinks it's malware, it is. That's why running Avira will help confirm it.

Any AV can have false positives.

If by chance, you do delete a system file, you can replace it by repairing your windows install, using your windows disc.

If I run Avira won't I have to unquarantine those suspected files?

Regards, Systemlord.
m
l
March 3, 2010 2:23:16 AM

Ya, restore the file.

However, if you've restarted and successfully logged into your user account since malwarebytes deleted that file, then it's not a false positive.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:52:09 AM

aford10 said:

When you say, "that files is necessary to log into your profile", would that profile effect shutting down and/or restarting my computer properly? The reason I ask is because a few times today I went to "Restart" and "Turn Off" my computer today with those 3 files quarantined and my system hanged forever several minutes before shutting off, before I quarantined those files shutdown would take less than 8 seconds to turn completely off from desktop.

Quote:
Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D7DF6C2A-03A1-471C-B78A-BA654CBE7F04}\RP12\A0000954.dll (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D7DF6C2A-03A1-471C-B78A-BA654CBE7F04}\RP12\A0002204.dll (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\userinit.exe (Trojan.PWS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

m
l
March 3, 2010 11:00:25 AM

It shouldn't effect shutting down. Normally, without that file, you'd be stuck in a reboot loop trying to log into windows.

If it's taking longer to shut down, something could be hanging. You could check for an error in the event viewer.
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:34:40 PM

aford10 said:
It shouldn't effect shutting down. Normally, without that file, you'd be stuck in a reboot loop trying to log into windows.

If it's taking longer to shut down, something could be hanging. You could check for an error in the event viewer.

Event viewer, huh? Anyways I installed XP all over again because of this hanging issue, when I go to "Restart" or "Turn Off" my computer it hangs for 2-5 minutes! While hanging if I'm able to move my pointer around, when I click on IE8 or any short-cut on my desktop it says, " "aborted Windows is trying to close", not exact words but close enough. I have never had this kind of problem before, is this a hardware issue or is windows screwing with me? I find it hard to believe it to be Windows because I have had two different fresh installs of Windows XP, please help me! :( 
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:41:26 PM

It sounds like a program or service is having a hard time closing. The event viewer is the place to look.
start-->control panel-->administrative tools-->event viewer-->look under system and applications for any errors with a timestamp around when you're shutting down the computer.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:48:23 PM

aford10 said:
It sounds like a program or service is having a hard time closing. The event viewer is the place to look.
start-->control panel-->administrative tools-->event viewer-->look under system and applications for any errors with a timestamp around when you're shutting down the computer.

I took a look at applications, three warnings and System. "Warning Windows Management" says, "HiPerfCooker_v1 has registered in the WMI namespace Root/WMI, to use localsystem account this account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation", my username and computer name are almost same. These only three warning messages under "Application" and two under "System", thanks for any help!

Applications

1. Warning message:

Source: WinMgmt
Type: Warning
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: GAMING-MACHINE

"HiPerfCooker_v1 has registered in the WMI namespace Root/WMI,
to use localsystem account this account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation"

2. Warning message:

Source: WinMgmt:
User: GAMING-MACHINE\Doug

"HiPerfCooker_v1 has registered in the WMI namespace Root/WMI,
to use localsystem account this account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation"

3. Warning message:

Source: Windows Product Activation
User: N/A

System

1. Error

Source: Windows Update Agen
Type: Error

2. Error

"Boot-start or system start drivers failed to load". This error was caused by my displayer drivers for my graphics card, it's happened before.

Source: Service Control Manager
Type: Error
m
l
March 3, 2010 8:22:35 PM

Try disabling your windows updates, and then turn off your computer.
m
l
March 3, 2010 9:51:30 PM

aford10 said:
Try disabling your windows updates, and then turn off your computer.

After running Prime95 and Memtest overnight without any issues, I disabled "Windows Update" like you said to and right when I clicked on "Restart" is hung for about 1-2 minutes. I tried launch programs during this hang and everytime it said, "The Application Failed To Inialize because Windows is shutting down". Right after the hang I went into Event Viewer, but don't see any new errors or warning logs. I don't see how two completely different fresh installs of Windows XP can cause this to happen, what to do? Something is seriously wrong and I doubt it's software based!

Thanks,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 3, 2010 10:55:28 PM

Re-enable your windows updates. Go to the update site, and see if there are any updates ready for download. If yes, either download them, or choose not to. While you're there, check out the download history, to see if there is an update that's been failing.
m
l
March 3, 2010 11:57:02 PM

aford10 said:
Re-enable your windows updates. Go to the update site, and see if there are any updates ready for download. If yes, either download them, or choose not to. While you're there, check out the download history, to see if there is an update that's been failing.

This time around when I installed Windows XP for the second time I created a clean fresh restore point without any drivers installed in case I had any problems, well I did restore to the very early restore point. I still have no drivers installed and I'm going to keep it this way for a few days, then I'll install one driver every two days so that if my hanging problem starts happening again I'll know which driver is causing the hanging issue. My OS is fully updated and very responsive, it now turns off very quickly! I haven't been able to recreate the hanging issues when Turning Off or Restart my computer, now that everything is fully updated what else can I do to diagnose a potential problem with say my Raptor hard drive? Maybe a Bios issue, motherboard did fine on the Prime95 and Memtest overnight, what would normally be the cause for Windows hanging upon Turning Off or Restarting?

Thanks,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 4, 2010 1:10:24 AM

aford10 said:
The most common reason for the system to hang while shutting down, is an update (failing or successful).

If you're concerned about the raptor drive, download WD's diagnostic tool, and test the drive.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=611...

I did have an error in Event Viewer - System, "installation failure for Windows Internet Explorer 8". The reason it failed to properly install is because the system hanged on the restart that was required for the update! I'll run the HDD utility that you linked to me and let you know how things progress over the next few days, I'll install the video drivers on friday after spending time restarting and turning off my computer, then the audio drivers on Monday until I rule out the problem. Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 4, 2010 1:32:04 AM

I think you've got a good plan. You don't have to wait for a couple days to do each driver install. You can manually create restore points if you want.
m
l
March 8, 2010 6:44:38 PM

Windows hangs yet again, after I click on Start Tab - Turn Off it's as if Windows doesn't know what or how to perform a shutdown. While Windows is hanging I'm able to open My Pictures, My Documents and My Computer. I have not yet experienced any problems while computer is running or gaming. Why this happening to not just one but three completely different OS installs? I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel! I'm running Nvidia drivers 196.21 with fully updated sound card drivers which never had problems prier to these events, I've tried 186.18 Nvidia drivers also. I appreciate your help!

Quote:
1. Warning Windows saved user Gaming-Machine\Doug registry while an application or service was still using the registry has been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

2. Warning Windows cannot upload your classes registory file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

m
l
March 8, 2010 7:00:47 PM

Have you installed something recently, that is running as your user account in the services window? It could be something you've installed each time. If it's just recently started hapening, think of what changes have been made.

You can check on the services by going to start-->run-->services.msc. Look in the 'log on as' column to see how the service is running.

It may also be worthwhile to run a registry scan to check for errors. Try using ccleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:18:58 PM

aford10 said:
Have you installed something recently, that is running as your user account in the services window? It could be something you've installed each time. If it's just recently started hapening, think of what changes have been made.

You can check on the services by going to start-->run-->services.msc. Look in the 'log on as' column to see how the service is running.

It may also be worthwhile to run a registry scan to check for errors. Try using ccleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

I don't understand what you mean as far as running in my user account, user account/service menu huh? I am the only administrator with no guests, I install games and surf the web. I use CClearner all the time on a weekly basis, when updating drivers I use Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5.

Regards,
Techlord.

m
l
March 8, 2010 11:35:53 PM

Get into the services window. Start-->run-->services.msc. It looks like this.
http://www.petri.co.il/images/services_msc6.jpg

From your quote above, it sounds like there's a service running as your user account, and not 'local system' or 'network systems.' I have no idea what service is referenced in that quote, I'm just pointing out, that's what it's trying to suggest. If you can narrow down the service that goes with a program recently installed, you can change the 'log on' type. Right click on the service-->properties-->log on tab-->click bubble for 'local system account.' Apply the changes and exit.

^This won't cause any harm, and can be changed back if you change the wrong service, or if it's not even the issue.
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:02:41 AM

aford10 said:
Get into the services window. Start-->run-->services.msc. It looks like this.
http://www.petri.co.il/images/services_msc6.jpg

From your quote above, it sounds like there's a service running as your user account, and not 'local system' or 'network systems.' I have no idea what service is referenced in that quote, I'm just pointing out, that's what it's trying to suggest. If you can narrow down the service that goes with a program recently installed, you can change the 'log on' type. Right click on the service-->properties-->log on tab-->click bubble for 'local system account.' Apply the changes and exit.

^This won't cause any harm, and can be changed back if you change the wrong service, or if it's not even the issue.

Hours before the hangs started again I installed my Creative sound card drivers because everything was working fine, I don't see how anything (sound drivers) can change that dramaticlly from one OS install to the next. I installed Windows XP originally 3 years, then got a bad virus a week ago and here I am after three OS installs with the last two giving me troubles. I think what the Warning is saying is I am trying to perform an action after I have already clicked on "Turn Off". I only get the Warning if I try to perform an action after I have already performed the shutdown while hanging.

Regards,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 9, 2010 1:25:05 AM

The easiest way to see if it's the sound drivers, is to use the restore points and roll back to before you installed them.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:18:42 AM

aford10 said:
The easiest way to see if it's the sound drivers, is to use the restore points and roll back to before you installed them.

I spent two days on the video drivers with no hangs, what if it turns out to be the sound card drivers, am I supposed to do play my games on mute? I'm using the same sound card drivers I was using two years ago without any problems, why now the problems? I currently restored to a point where there are no sound card drivers, it could be a windows update. Usually when strange things happen within computers OS systems the recommended course of action is to wipe everything and start over, I have done exactly that! Maybe it's time to upgrade to Windows 7, you think? I fully plan on buying Nvidia's new graphics card on the 26th, can you imagine if I bought Windows 7 and the same problem creeped up. I am at the end of my rope here with no solution!
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:22:33 AM

Now that you've rolled back to before the soundcard driver was installed, does it still hang on shut down?

You're right, it could also be a windows update that downloaded around the same time. I would suggest turning off the windows updates for the time being.

If we can nail down the cause, then we can work on a solution. Until then, it's hard to throw out random solutions.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:39:52 AM

aford10 said:
Now that you've rolled back to before the soundcard driver was installed, does it still hang on shut down?

You're right, it could also be a windows update that downloaded around the same time. I would suggest turning off the windows updates for the time being.

If we can nail down the cause, then we can work on a solution. Until then, it's hard to throw out random solutions.

No in three days without sound card drivers it hasn't hanged at all, but before I point the finger I want to be 100% sure it is the sound card drivers. What should I do from this point? Should I install some games without my sound drivers and do that for a week? If playing games for a week doesn't produce any hangs and then I install sound drivers and things start hanging.....

Regards,
Systemlord
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:46:53 AM

Ok, first thing to do, is check for any and all windows updates. Download anything available. Once you've downloaded all of them, check again to see if there's anymore. This is important, as windows updates are one of the main causes of this symptom.

If the windows updates don't cause the hang to reoccur, then it's time to install the sound card driver. If the symptom comes back, you have the cause nailed down.

What is the motherboard model?
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:08:52 AM

aford10 said:
Ok, first thing to do, is check for any and all windows updates. Download anything available. Once you've downloaded all of them, check again to see if there's anymore. This is important, as windows updates are one of the main causes of this symptom.

If the windows updates don't cause the hang to reoccur, then it's time to install the sound card driver. If the symptom comes back, you have the cause nailed down.

What is the motherboard model?

It's in my signature at bottom. My Asus P5E I have has been super stable and has been the best board I have ever used for overclocking, so far it's capable of 3.8GHz on my E6600. I have been running an overclock of 3.2GHz for three years without so much as a hiccup, never updated the BIOS because I had no problems with the stock BIOS version. If it an't broke why fix it? I will run without the sound drivers for another day or so to be 100% sure everything installed isn't a problem, if I have no problems by wednesday I will install my card drivers and see what happens. If it does pan out to be my sound card drivers how do we fix it?

Regards,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 9, 2010 3:16:00 AM

If it turns out to be the sound card driver, we can look for a newer or older version than what you were using. The motherboard also has onboard audio, which is pretty good if you aren't running a high end speaker system.
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:09:14 AM

aford10 said:
If it turns out to be the sound card driver, we can look for a newer or older version than what you were using. The motherboard also has onboard audio, which is pretty good if you aren't running a high end speaker system.

Edit:

Alright things are starting to go haywire! I left my computer on desktop for about an hour and notice out of the corner of my eye one of my Ram sticks was putting on a light show (Crucial Ballistix Tracer with LEDs) while the other was not producing a light show. I tried to bring up Task Manager and it froze completely, so no I have to stress test my whole system. What's strange is there are two rows of LEDs, only one row was blinking which is not supposed to happen! I'll update if anything shows up, oh I didn't install the sound card drivers so we know it's not that now. Moer errors and warnings below >

1.Date: 3/8/2010 Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Logon/Logoff

Type: Failture Audit

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Computer: Gaming Machine

Logon Failure:

Reason: Unknown user name or bad password

Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Account Logon

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Logon attenpt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

A provider, HIPERFCOOKER_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace
ROOT\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged
and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:24:16 PM

I just received this security update that may explain my problem, more detail below.

Error report
Quote:
Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Account Logon

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Logon attenpt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

A provider, HIPERFCOOKER_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace
ROOT\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged
and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Windows Security Update 3/9/2010

Quote:

General Information:

Executive Summary:

This security update resolves one publicly disclosed and one privately reported vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on to the system and then ran a specially crafted application. To exploit either vulnerability, an attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users

Regards,
Systemlord
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:29:27 PM

Keep in touch. Le me know if it fixes it or not.
m
l
March 12, 2010 7:43:04 PM

aford10 said:
Keep in touch. Le me know if it fixes it or not.

Since three security updates and allowing "WMI Performance LocalSystem" to "Allow service to interact with desktop", I haven't had a hang on shutdown or Restart in three days. Things are looking good now, I hope this lasts!

Techlord.
m
l
March 12, 2010 9:10:05 PM

If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to create a restore point, just in case the issue returns.

Good to hear though!
m
l
March 12, 2010 10:56:55 PM

aford10 said:
If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to create a restore point, just in case the issue returns.

Good to hear though!

Will do, if it happens again I'll keep everyone updated because there must be others with similar problems.

Regards,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:27:20 AM

Update

After a week it began hanging again twice in a row lastnight, man this hang doesn't registor in Event Viewer at all! Why isn't Event Viewer logging the hang on shutdown?

Regards,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 18, 2010 1:45:54 AM

Have you updated anything recently? Check the windows update page to see if any updates were downloaded.

Start-->run--> sfc /scannow
after that
start-->run--> chkdsk /r
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:21:01 AM

aford10 said:
Have you updated anything recently? Check the windows update page to see if any updates were downloaded.

Start-->run--> sfc /scannow
after that
start-->run--> chkdsk /r

I already did that twice, I ran Western Digital's HDD utility many times and passed. Could a BIOS cause this shutdown issue? I'm really surprised no one else is having these same problems, why just me? I haven't done anything different than I did on the last three installs of Windows XP, I'm getting fed up with this Windows hanging crap!! Next time when I buy an OS I'm buying the retail version so I can have tech support! I have done EVERYTHING and still there's no end in sight, there's no logs of anything in Event Viewer. Must I upgrade to Windows 7 to fix?

Systemlord
m
l
March 18, 2010 11:14:11 AM

Is it still hanging at shutdown?

Did you check the windows updates to see if there's any failed ones, that keep trying to install?

To get an idea of how many things can cause hanging on shutdown, check this.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Yes, an old BIOS version can cause an issue. It's worth checking to see if there's a new one.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:06:56 PM

aford10 said:
Is it still hanging at shutdown?

Did you check the windows updates to see if there's any failed ones, that keep trying to install?

To get an idea of how many things can cause hanging on shutdown, check this.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Yes, an old BIOS version can cause an issue. It's worth checking to see if there's a new one.

There are no failed Windows updates, I haven't updated my Bios ever since I purchased my motherboard over two years ago. I'm still using the out of box version, I never update unless there's a reason to, my thinking if it isn't broke... How can a Bios mess with the shutdown of a computer?

Thanks,
Systemlord.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:22:58 PM

If your BIOS is out of date, it can effect the recognition and stability of the devices and system overall. It specifically can interfere with ACPI systems.

I don't think this is the most likely cause of the problem. It's simply a possible cause. It's not a bad idea to update the BIOS if there is one available. There could be a number of updates and fixes. A caution though: if you lose power or the BIOS flash goes bad, it can turn your motherboard into a doorstop.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:32:45 PM

aford10 said:
If your BIOS is out of date, it can effect the recognition and stability of the devices and system overall. It specifically can interfere with ACPI systems.

I don't think this is the most likely cause of the problem. It's simply a possible cause. It's not a bad idea to update the BIOS if there is one available. There could be a number of updates and fixes. A caution though: if you lose power or the BIOS flash goes bad, it can turn your motherboard into a doorstop.

That's another reason why updating to Bios is a last resort, bricking the motherboard. The last few days I have noticed that Windows sometimes takes twice as long from the push of the power button till reaching Windows desktop, it usually takes three loading bars to load Windows during the load up screen, this morning it took six bars to load Windows all while my hard drive was a lot more active than usual! This paragraph more accurately describes my issues >

Quote:
SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW

If it appears that Win XP is not shutting down, give it some time. Some users report a minute or longer for shutdown to visibly start. Generally, this is a consequence of software that is running when shutdown is attempted. It also may have something to do with particular hardware. If you experience this problem, be sure to close all running programs before attempting shutdown and see if this solves your problem. If so, then you can determine, by trial and error, which program(s) are involved.
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest