DVD drive help needed (master/slave)

blotch

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Hi I purchased a Samsung DVD reader/writer to replace an Asus Combo drive that decided it didn't want to read DVDs anymore. My problem is that it isn't playing nice with my Sony DVD reader/writer. I can put the Samsung as the Master and the Sony as the Slave and both check out in bios and come up in My Computer but the Sony won't read DVDs but will CDs. If I put the Sony as the master then it won't work "invalid application" error but the Samsung will read DVDs as a Slave. The Jumpers were set to Master/slave (or "cable select" but didn't change anything) as per where they were so I don't believe that is the problem. The Sony was the Master with the Asus and it read DVDs fine then but now only works as slave. Thank You for any help.

Try a new IDE cable. Set the jumper on the main drive as master, secondary drive as slave. The IDE cable has a PIN 1 that must match PIN 1 on both the drives and the MB IDE header.

blotch

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Thanks but if the IDE cable was bad then the master or slave wouldn't work. I currently have the Master working fine (Samsung) and the Slave is only working as a CD drive(sony). If the Sony is the Master it won't work and the Samsung works perfectly as a slave. The Jumpers are set to the proper Master/Slave positions.