Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS 320mb Fps problem!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2007 4:04:50 AM

Hey I have an eVGA 320Mb in Vista Home Premium 1680 x 1050 resolution (stock at the moment... waiting on Rivatuner 2.05 :D ) and I have a problem playing some maps at full detail without getting some weird FPS but huge FPS hits (~30-40 FPS) around some areas in the map De_dust2. I haven't tried it out on HL2 but I think I will tonight. I believe it could be a problem of running out of VRAM or faulty VRAM because Overclocking the core and the memory did not seem to help with this problem.

September 28, 2007 4:45:14 AM

Ive got the same card/cpu/ram and it fooly SMASHES HL2.
Maybe a driver issue?
Maybe vista issue?
Uninstall/reinstall etc. Ive also heard atl tab and do good things sometimes.

Re HL2... giving it another bash ATM. Set v-sync on, limits fps to 60.
However if i do a quick load it halves to 30 :/ 
If i load again it fixes.
Odd. Otherwise maps like dust etc should get smashed by an 8800.
Lack of vram is not an issue imho.
September 28, 2007 6:50:13 AM

It is definitely not a driver issue, I've installed multiple drivers (including beta ones) and they all have the same problem. I'm hoping it's either a map issue or a game issue or a fixable vista issue. I don't really want to reinstall Vista =/. 'Retry' ing the server seems to help a bit but the fps drops are still there around pit and in T spawn.

Also sometimes the FPS drop(it stays around 20-25 FPS or so) holds constant for other parts in the map and then suddenly goes away when i get to certain places, but not always such as around 'side' and in 'middle'.

I don't know if it is possible to reinstall a particular map or if I should just reinstall the entire game, Office seems to work just fine, Haven't tried a whole lot of other maps.

On a side note I'm only able to overclock my VRAM to about 850 or so or else I start to get artifacts. Core Clocks fine. I'm definitely going to step-up one of these days though. Might as well use the feature if I have it, right?

Anyway, I'll post my problem on the Steam forums see if i can get anything there.
Related resources
September 28, 2007 10:15:35 AM

Stupid question but did you remove the old drivers before you installed all those new drivers?
September 28, 2007 10:33:39 AM

Yes I did but I only used add/remove programs to remove them, I suppose I could try driver cleaner...
September 28, 2007 10:56:58 AM

Hi guys,

I have a dual boot of xp x86 and vista x64 with 4gb ram and a 8800gts 640mb.

Even with the last beta drivers, all my games in vista at 1680x1050 will lag at same settings as xp x86.

I tried BF2 and HL2, both lag in vista. I did not try to install MOH Airborn or COD2 after seeing this.

I keep my xp for gaming until vista is good for gaming.

September 28, 2007 1:15:54 PM

djbrad007: Using a 64-bit OS for gaming in general, at present, is basically a Bad Move, Vista or XP.

Valtiel: I'd be leaning toward it being an issue with the game you're playing, especially if you're playing online...
September 28, 2007 1:31:28 PM

Sounds like it might be the dreaded 8800 slowdown bug. It is a texture management problem that happens on all 8 series cards, but the 320MB version gets hit hard by it because of its lack of VRAM. I have an eVGA 320MB 8800gts and I was having this problem like crazy. I almost sent it back, but the newest drivers have fixed it (although only in DX9) for me.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/349
September 29, 2007 11:24:28 AM

Well I think, I'll just throw money at the problem and step-up to a GTS 640Mb. Its only about a $50 step-up and my current GPU's VRAM sucks at overclocking anyway (can only get up to ~860) which is a huge downer for me :( . Or i might even get a GTX but I'm leaning towards the GTS :p 
September 29, 2007 5:20:58 PM

Valtiel said:
Well I think, I'll just throw money at the problem and step-up to a GTS 640Mb. Its only about a $50 step-up and my current GPU's VRAM sucks at overclocking anyway (can only get up to ~860) which is a huge downer for me :( . Or i might even get a GTX but I'm leaning towards the GTS :p 

I agree that you should get a much better OC on your VRAM than that. I'm at 950MHz and it's not even hot. I've gone up to Ultra speeds but I have no need for that so I stick with my cool 950.

As for the step-up, if you wait a bit longer you may be pleasantly surprised by g92 in November. If you don't feel like waiting then I see no harm in upgrading to a GTX :pt1cable: 
September 29, 2007 5:52:57 PM

u geting this same issues in SP mode? if not its server side. If so...are you making sure that in game resolution and desktop res are matched- i had lag spikes on 2142 when not matched....and just an fyi- I have a 640 and it crushes everything atm- ran bioshock demo like a champ as well.
good luck
September 29, 2007 6:03:08 PM

homerdog said:
I agree that you should get a much better OC on your VRAM than that. I'm at 950MHz and it's not even hot. I've gone up to Ultra speeds but I have no need for that so I stick with my cool 950.

As for the step-up, if you wait a bit longer you may be pleasantly surprised by g92 in November. If you don't feel like waiting then I see no harm in upgrading to a GTX :pt1cable: 

If its the evga step up, it only lasts 90 days
September 29, 2007 9:41:23 PM

ShortRef said:
If its the evga step up, it only lasts 90 days

Good point, I am well aware of that as I bought my GTS in early August, so my step-up will expire just days before the supposed release of g92 :( 
October 1, 2007 10:14:09 AM

30 days left on my step-up program so I won't be able to wait =(

hopefully I can find an extra 100$ or so lying around, I want to crush crysis :D 
October 1, 2007 11:53:04 AM

Valtiel said:
30 days left on my step-up program so I won't be able to wait =(

hopefully I can find an extra 100$ or so lying around, I want to crush crysis :D 

That changed from a $50 step up to a $100 step up pretty quickly. Are you sure you're not loggin in to some phishing site?
October 2, 2007 8:01:42 AM

Sorry, I wasn't very clear I said "an extra $100" because I would like to step-up to an 8800GTX (its not actually a $100 its actually about 250 :(  ) Vs. a GTS 640 but I don't know if it would be worth spending that extra $250 dollars so I'm hoping I come across some cash sooner or later. Or I might sell my card on ebay and wait for the next wave of cards, be it 8900 Series or 9800 series :D 
!