Help getting wi-fi on my desktop

moval0890

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
After recently moving my Verizon Fios internet router into my bedroom to hook up to my xbox(and my laptop) I no longer have a sufficient way of getting internet to my desktop. What is the best way to do this?

I'm new to this whole wireless networking stuff, so would I buy like a wireless router or something else. Thanks.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
powerline adapters are good, depends on how far away your desktop is from the router and how many walls are in the way.

does your router already have wireless? if so a cheap pci card for the desktop would be pretty easy to do.

if you have lots of thick walls in the way then the powerline is the way to go, also if you do a lot of file transfers between the laptop / xbox and the desktop then i would go powerline.

moval0890

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Okay, so I bought a D-link wireless N pc adapter and that pretty much failed the test.

So I went back to bestbuy and returned it for http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8385847&st=powerline+adapter&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1179876185243

This had terrific reviews and was one of only a few I saw for under $100 so I bought it.

I am planning to install it tonight and if it doesn't work do you have any other ideas?

What is the difference between a PCI card and PC adapter? Would that help more?

G

PCI Card goes inside a desktop computer. PC Card (aka PCMCIA card) fits a slot on (mostly older) laptops.

For a desktop your choices of wireless adapter are PCI or USB -- personally I've found PCI offers better reception.