PCI card not found?

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I hope one of you guys here can help me out with this problem as I am all out of ideas.

My friend got an old comp standing around, he asked me to help him install XP on it as well as a wireless network... shouldn't be that difficult... (I thought)

All went well until I stuck the wireless PCI card in the machine, windows was unable to find it.

Tried to install it manually.. no luck. Windows refuses to go any further after I ask it to use the driver from the CD, (the "Next" button continues to be gray and and can't be pressed).

Thought the network card might not work so I switched it with one from his other computer (exact same card), still no luck.

Tried all three PCI ports, windows can't find it.

Tried another PCI card (network card not wireless), windows found it immediately. Wondering for a while.. tried a PCI sound card in the exact same port, windows found it immediately.

Back to the wireless again.. (still same port), windows can't find it.

Switched the two wireless PCI cards again after verifying that they both work, still nothing.

Checked if the plug and play service was running, it was.

Checked BIOS, everything seemed fine.

Flashed BIOS, not working.
Reset BIOS, not working.
Loading optimal default, not working.
Altering IRQ in BIOS = not working.
Altering IRQ in XP, not working.

This is driving me nuts.. what am I missing?!

We are talking about this mobo and this wireless adapter. ANY! help would be appreciated!

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What wireless PCI card? What system motherboard? Are we supposed to just guess! :fou:
Well you could check the system requirements for the PCI card, what version PCI slot etc. Then check what the motherboard has in the way of PCI slots.

Mike.

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Do you even know if the computer supports PCI-2.0?
I think just about all wireless ethernet cards need 2.0.
The computer might be so old that it has 1.X.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Do you have SP2 installed? I may be wrong but I think that XP did a horrible job supporting wireless cards until SP1 (or was it SP2?)

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Ah..

I didn't tjeck if the mobo supports PCI 2.0.

Obviously that must be the problem since the wireless card requires PCI 2.2 (according to ASUS website) - or, "Support PCI Host Interface PCI 2.2" - to be exact.

Thanks alot I was starting to get gray hair for a while there...