Sign in with
Your question

Why should I buy an expensive standalone NAS?

Last response: in Storage
February 18, 2008 8:58:27 AM

Hi,

I would like to buy a NAS but I don't know which one. I see some interesting standalone NAS like the Synology 107+ but I also see some cheap NAS-solutions like Freecom (which has a USB2 connection that you can use as an external hard drive), WD MyBook World and Lacie. I even saw a D-Link GigaBit router with Storage Link: you can attach an external hard drive so it acts as a NAS...

My question is: Beside of the extra functions, why should I buy a much more expensive standalone NAS if I could buy those cheaper hybride NAS-solutions? Is it better in quality because a standalone one uses a seperate processor and uses ram? Or is it better because it's made to be constantly switched on...?

February 18, 2008 12:42:32 PM

pina said:
Hi,

I would like to buy a NAS but I don't know which one. I see some interesting standalone NAS like the Synology 107+ but I also see some cheap NAS-solutions like Freecom (which has a USB2 connection that you can use as an external hard drive), WD MyBook World and Lacie. I even saw a D-Link GigaBit router with Storage Link: you can attach an external hard drive so it acts as a NAS...

My question is: Beside of the extra functions, why should I buy a much more expensive standalone NAS if I could buy those cheaper hybride NAS-solutions? Is it better in quality because a standalone one uses a seperate processor and uses ram? Or is it better because it's made to be constantly switched on...?

There's no straight answer on this one. Human nature equates price with quality which is not always true!

I would suggest that you start off with a list of requirements, decide on your budget and then check what the market has to offer. Read reviews and ask about specific models on this forum.

For my 5c I've been impressed (on paper) with the Qnap products. They do everything that I built my file server for, are much cheaper and use less power. I think they're worth a look.
!