Does Norton Ghost retain file attributes and folder timestamps?

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi all,

Does Norton Ghost retain file attributes and folder timestamps? So when you restore the image on a different PC all the file attributes will be the same and it will be as though nothing changed?

How does the installed programs think work? I know that Norton Ghost creates a complete backup which includes the programs so when you restore the backup does it instantly add all the programs to the computer you're on? A bit more information on that will be great.

So all I have to do is run the program, create a backup of C to my external hard drive and then I can restore that on a new PC and have ALL my old stuff back on it?

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Yes. Disk imaging makes a copy of the entire drive. It's smart enough to understand filesystems like FAT and NTFS, leaving out empty space. If you had a filesystem like HFS+(Mac) then it would have to do a sector by sector copy including empty space which takes up a lot more backup space.

If you want to test your backup and you should, you can either restore to a spare hard drive or machine and boot off that or look for something that can convert ghost to virtual hard disk for VMware.