why SLI making all my games crash?

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
1st the problem:
Anywhere from 5-10minutes into game Oblivion,BioShock,and Black & White2 will freeze and the last sound that was playing will just loop.I have to reboot to get out of it and start over.
I can run 3dMark06 just fine though??....If I disable SLI all problems dissapear.

2nd my failed attemps
Installed Nvidia drivers 163.44...162.18...158.12 used driver cleaner each time.
Installed newst OpenAl
Installed current Xfi drivers
Undid my overclock,set default setting in BIOS
Ran memtest on 1066mhz "default" and 800mhz "underclock" all stable,both setting no effect.
Switched cards around,both are working.
Connected power to the PCIE Aux power connector on the board
Defraged,scan disked

3rd History of system:
I originally had an XP system with an FX60,A8n32SLI,PC3500 memory Silencer 750 Quad power supply.
SLI worked fine,even had a OC of 621/2000 on them.Now I am dual booting XP/Vista,replaced everything but the hard drive with....EVGA 680iLT,E6550 1333FSB, OCZ pc8500 1066mhz 5-5-5-15
The first thing I noticed is I could no longer OC the cards,they would crash/freeze into 3dmark06.I assumed since I had a more powerful CPU the cards where getting pushed more and could'nt handle it.
Now I think its the SLI problem preventing it.

My final thought is mabey this power supply ain't cutting it after all.
I got it cus it suppose to be as good a the big boys.Even MAXIMUM PC used it for it 10,000 dream machine with way more stuff plugged in.
Here is a link to a review http://www.legitreviews.com/article/451/1/
Anyone that can shed some light on my issue is very much welcome.
Also this is all under XP,not Vista and I game on 21''WD 1680x1050

Things drawing power:
Nautilus 500 watercooling kit
1- Xfi card
1-120mm fan
3-80mm fans
2-cath. lights
1-WD 2500 HD
1-dvd rom drive
1-Floppy with memory slots

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
no that psu should be fine, that is really weird... you have done basically everything i would have told you to do. have you considered calling tech support for your cards because they may be able to identify the problem

anyways good luck i hope you get it fixed

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Update.....After searching countless threads across the universe.I found one stating how XFI cards sometimes
have probelms with SLI .One read "a guy solved his SLi issue by moving the Creative card because he was getting a resource conflict."
I went into bios and under the "PnP/PCI configuration menu" the setting for IRQ resources was on manual.
Set it to AUTO and wallah,no more crashes.I wish the mother board manual would tell you whats recommended so noobs like me wont loose sleep on errors like this.

Thanks Maverick7 for your reply,and if I dont Update again its going good.

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Do you have the latest Windows DX9 update? I know you need it for Bioshock and I don't believe it comes automatically with Windows update.You have to go to Microsoft and download it manually.Check the voltage on your southbridge. At the stock voltage setting my system would freeze up also. I raised the voltage and I haven't had a freeze up since!( I have 7600gt's in sli) I pretty much did everything you are doing (swapping out drivers,running memtest,different power supply,etc) and I still couldn't solve the problem! So check your voltage( memory,northbridge,southbridge, etc). Good luck!