NF7-S any limitation with HD Capacity?

petexice

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2007
Hi, please i need your help with this question urgently.

I have an Abit NF7-S rev. 1.2 (socket A) with the last update BIOS (ID 28), and i want to buy a new SATA HD of 500 Gb, my choice will be the Samsung HD501LJ.

I want to know before to buy it, if can install this hd without problems and my BIOS will detect it, or is there any limitation with the capacity (what is the max hd capacity this motherboard works fine?).

I hope your answers quick please.

TIA :)

Mondoman

Splendid
I would think it should work fine, but if not, you can easily buy an inexpensive SATA controller card that plugs into a PCI slot for at most $30 or so. Depending on how old your copy of Windows is, that may be the bigger problem, as you need at least WinXP SP1 to recognize more than 137GB. However, you can create your own "SP1" or "SP2" Windows installation CD/DVD by creating a "slipstream" disk from your original Windows installation disk and downloads of SP1 or SP2. Just search for "Windows slipstream".

If you look inside the box (halfway down on the page) you see the floppy discin the box? That is the SATA driver. You will need the floppy SATA driver disc in that box to load at the F6 prompt when installing Windows XP for the SATA drive you are trying to use to recognized. If you don't have a floppy driver dsc, I can tell you how to make one. Let me know.

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/abit-nf7s/

That adapter is an IDE to SATA connector. I believe one article says SATA connectors are not really needed because SATA hard drives are not on the market yet. Oh well, I installed a 300GB maxtor SATA on my Socket A ASUS NFII Deluxe and loaded Vista on it a while back. I had to make the floppy SATA driver dosc because ASUS didn't include one with the board. No need for SATA hard drives, they wern't on the market yet!