Sign in with
Your question

computer crash and then won't turn back on

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2007 5:21:30 AM

Hi, i just built a new AMD system with the 64 X2 6400 processor. The computer was hanging on a game i was trying to start ( online game with login etc ) It wouldnt load, i'm not sure if it was the firewall or some other software that made it hang. Anyway, I had to end the program manually but it just kept hanging there and the end program wouldn't shut it down. Nothing happened so i shut the computer off manually. The problem is now it wont turn back on. The lights on the motherboard light up when it gets power, but when i push the button to turn the computer on i get nothing. No cpu fan starting up no other fans spinning, nothing. I thought it may have over heated but that is not the case. I'm not sure what i should do. I just bought this processor a few days ago and its still under warranty from the company. I took the heatsink off to make sure no thermal grease got into the processor and that it was seated correctly and all seemed fine.
Any suggestions or advice would be really helpful. If i have to return the processor i want to do it while its still under warranty from the company.
I also checked the LED code on the back of the motherboard and its saying CPU Initiation... the motherboard is the ASUS Crosshair

September 16, 2007 11:32:58 AM

Maybe i should simplify... is there something i can do to fix this or would i be better off sending it back to the company for a replacement?
September 16, 2007 1:21:14 PM

Reset the BIOS..
List your part...
double check up the assembly... especially power connectors.

In 10 years or more of assembling computer, I still have to see a CPU to fail. I rather suspect a PSU failure(if, of course, it is not an user error...) or a corrupted BIOS.

The PSU could have caused all your connection problem..
Related resources
September 16, 2007 1:53:40 PM

everytime that happens to me its because my ram is dead
September 16, 2007 5:22:36 PM

Just to be sure, have you unplugged, counted to 10, and plugged back in the power cord?
September 16, 2007 6:44:00 PM

Yep, unplugged it. Left it unplugged for a few hours because like i said i thought something may have over heated. Everything on the system is totally new with a new BFG 650w PSU. Here is a listing of the parts:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair w/Nvidia 590 SLI chipset
RAM: 4GB g.skill RAM (2 x 2GB)
HDD: Seagate 320 GB
vid card: Geforce 8600 GT

I will try the bios reset and let you guys know how that worked. Is 650w Enough for these parts?
September 16, 2007 7:04:30 PM

A good quality 650 should be alright, but you do have a system that's power hungry.
September 17, 2007 2:46:54 AM

Ok i tried resetting the bios but i'm still getting the CPU INIT. error. Not sure where to go from here :( 
September 17, 2007 5:08:49 AM

Sorry I hit the reset cmos button. I ended up getting the updated bios from the ASUS website and that seems to have fixed the issue. I'm also wondering if the little button on the back that controls the LED's and the LCD screen on the back had something to do with it. I also had my USB drive in that had an updated BIOS on it so maybe that was it. I'm not particularly sure. :/ 
!