8 Bit LCD Displays

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a list somewhere out there explicitly stating what LCDs are 6-bit and which are 8-bit? I'm looking for a list ala Johnny Guru. If anyone knows of such a thing in existance, please let me know. I'm sure a good amount of the computer world is curious of the same thing. I think a law needs to be passed saying all LCDs should include specifications stating the color depth per channel instead of this "16.7-16.2-16" million colors nonsense.

All 8-bit panels can reproduce 16.7 million colors and advertise that ability.

All 6-bit panels can only reproduce 262k color and through a process called dithering, the remaining 16 million colors are imitated. Originally advertised as 16.2 million colors, however some brands have advertised these panels as 16.7 million colors. All TN panels uses 6-bit technology.

Some people refer to TN panels as 6-bit +2 bit dithering which is the process I have described above. a few newer TN panels uses 6-bit Hi-FRC technology. FRC = Frame Rate Control. Truthfully, I am not exactly sure how this type of technology operates because I really despise TN panels because of poor color accuracy, contrast, viewing angles, black levels, etc compared to more advanced panel tech (MVA/PVA & IPS). Supposedly, there are less image quality issues (artifacts) than previous generation of TN panels.

While it is possible to manufacture 8-bit TN panels, to the best of my knowledge no one has. The two TN panels techs I described above apparently are sometimes referred to as "8-bit TN panels" based on some research. This is inaccurate and generally misleading. However, most people who buys TN panels are more concerned about games with a fast monitor (i.e. 2ms response times) or wants to buy the biggest monitor for the lowest price.

For "true" 8-bit monitors look for ones that uses MVA/PVA or IPS panel technologies. IPS panels represents the cream of the crop for the best color accuracy, viewing angles, contrast, etc. The only two things that TN panels have over IPS panels is price and faster response time. These panels are more expensive than all other LCD technologies. The Dell 3007WFP is an example of a consumer level monitor that uses a S-IPS panel.

At the extreme end are S-IPS/H-IPS panels that are designed for the graphics professional where color accuracy and color uniformity (amongst others) are of extreme importance. An example is the Eizo ColorEdge CG211 22.1" LCD monitor that sells for $5,500 - $5,900.

MVA/PVA panels have been developed as a compromise between TN panels and IPS panels. These are 8-bit monitors with good color accuracy, viewing angles, contrast and good response times similar to the IPS panels. These are middle of the road LCD techs and offers a less expensive option to buy a true 8-bit panel technology.