Sign in with
Your question

like everyone else I am thinking about building a new computer

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2007 1:03:10 AM

In advance I am sorry if this gets to wordy as I try to explain everything. I am new to a lot of this whole building of computer things so I have a lot of questions and worries before I jump in head first with a lot of money. Since the first thing people always asks is what is your budget; I am uncertain of my budget at this time, I want a nice computer...so if that means saving for a while...so be it (also, things will be cheaper if I keep saving).

My last computer was a Dell, which means most of the stuff that is in it if not all of it is trash. I bought it back in early 2001, so all the stuff that could be pulled probably isnt even worth pulling. 40GB harddrive...seemed big at the time...LOL. Keyboard requires a special plug, which I am not sure if it will be on any motherboard (not like keyboards are really expensive or anything). Mouse is newer. I have nice speakers that go with it, so I will be keeping those. My screen is a bit small compared to the things out today. Its 16" diagonal CRT Trinitron (I gotta tell....this screen still looks good...but I want bigger :) ).

So basically, we are talking totally new computer here...from the ground up I need it all. Heck...Ill even need a battery backup as well (my old one stopped working one day). I have been reading this forum for quite a while now waiting for the moment to ask all the questions I have since I didnt want to be a total noob about all the computer stuff.

Case: Lian Li, not sure which one. It doesnt seem many people bring up this name a lot...but I know a lot of guys who swear by them. I like the looks of the PC-60BPlusII. I hear a lot of complaints about the ones with the glass panel on the side of it, since its cheap material (I also wonder about heat problems with a side made of plexyglass. The case I am looking at has 4 fans, should keep air flow moving. My buddies Lian Li had filters in the front to keep dust out...is this standard in Lian Li, because the dust that would build up in my dell was killer. $130

CPU: Q6600 2.4Ghz Go Steppin. Problem is clubit sold out of them. I would rather have a go steppin even if I dont overclock, just because it keeps the temp down. I dont plan to overclock right away, and I may never. The idea honestly scares me right now. I know so little about putting together computers I dont want to overcomplicated something for myself. Do I need some sort of cooler for this CPU? $280

Motherboard: Gigabyte? GA-P35-DS3R...everyone on this forum keeps speaking wonders for this MB, so I thought it must be a good product. Only thing that bothers me is it only has 2 slots for DDR3, which means if DDR2 goes out of style tomorrow it might hurt it when DDR3 is utilizable. Then again this may be so far in the future that I would have to replace the MB at that point. Any other suggestions then this one...reasons why a more expensive one might be better? $134

Harddrive: 150GB Raptor, sole hard drive...will this work? I like the idea of the speed and I honestly can see using more then 150GB for what I use the computer for. Mostly I back things up onto CDs when it gets to be to much or take off a computer game. I never play more then 2 games at a time anyway. $185

Memory: This seems to be a tricky one. When I was into computers back in 2001 it seemed Kingston was the thing everyone swore by, now it seems no one bothers with them. So, OCZ or Ballistics DDR2 (PC8500) 1066. This is the same speed as the CPU if I am not mistaken, so I would have 1:1 right? I get so lost when you guys talk about speed of things being the same...I reall am trying to figure this out...maybe I still have it wrong (sorry if I noobed that up) Next question...should i get 4GB worth...if so... $300ish (ouch).

Vid card. 8800GTX. not sure what brand. I keep hearing people talk so nicely of these things and I assume this will probably last longer then the lesser ones that are out right now, but that thought comes at a price especially when it may be hundreds cheaper in a few months. Will this fit in my case, not sure how you go about measuring the case before you have it, cant seem to find inside dimensions of a case...but you guys say the GTX is huge 499ish

PSU Corsair 620HX ? $170

That leaves me with things I dont know keyboard...easy choice though...probably pick this up at a local store. DVD Drive...I have a DVD drive in my computer now, but I am sure better ones then what I have probably cost nothing now.

Finally I would like a new monitor. 30" would be nice, but far to expensive for my blood. I have been looking into 22-24, leaning toward 24 if I can find one I can afford and more importantly one that is good quality. Which brings me to what is a good monitor? I know this is going to be a divided issue with people loving a certain make or model, but in all seriousness I have no idea on how to tell what would make a good monitor. I know the smaller the ms the better. I would like to use this to display 1080p movies if I can and potentially use it in the place of a tv. 24 may be to small for you guys to watch movies, but its plenty big for me to sit less then 3 feet away to watch a movie.

crap, almost forgot...Im a gamer at heart...wanna get back into wow. (also want to play Crysis, Bioshock, etc)...but also a graphic designer...and no I dont want a mac!

Sorry again for the length I hope I didnt forget anything...thanks in advance for any help you guys could give me...Im really trying to learn all this stuff.
September 11, 2007 1:48:54 AM

krod said:
In advance I am sorry if this gets to wordy as I try to explain everything. I am new to a lot of this whole building of computer things so I have a lot of questions and worries before I jump in head first with a lot of money. Since the first thing people always asks is what is your budget; I am uncertain of my budget at this time, I want a nice computer...so if that means saving for a while...so be it (also, things will be cheaper if I keep saving).

My last computer was a Dell, which means most of the stuff that is in it if not all of it is trash. I bought it back in early 2001, so all the stuff that could be pulled probably isnt even worth pulling. 40GB harddrive...seemed big at the time...LOL. Keyboard requires a special plug, which I am not sure if it will be on any motherboard (not like keyboards are really expensive or anything). Mouse is newer. I have nice speakers that go with it, so I will be keeping those. My screen is a bit small compared to the things out today. Its 16" diagonal CRT Trinitron (I gotta tell....this screen still looks good...but I want bigger :) ).

So basically, we are talking totally new computer here...from the ground up I need it all. Heck...Ill even need a battery backup as well (my old one stopped working one day). I have been reading this forum for quite a while now waiting for the moment to ask all the questions I have since I didnt want to be a total noob about all the computer stuff.

Case: Lian Li, not sure which one. It doesnt seem many people bring up this name a lot...but I know a lot of guys who swear by them. I like the looks of the PC-60BPlusII. I hear a lot of complaints about the ones with the glass panel on the side of it, since its cheap material (I also wonder about heat problems with a side made of plexyglass. The case I am looking at has 4 fans, should keep air flow moving. My buddies Lian Li had filters in the front to keep dust out...is this standard in Lian Li, because the dust that would build up in my dell was killer. $130

Lian-Li is a good brand for cases. Generally, they are pretty tame in comparison to many cases. Cases are highly subjective, so I avoid talking about them.

CPU: Q6600 2.4Ghz Go Steppin. Problem is clubit sold out of them. I would rather have a go steppin even if I dont overclock, just because it keeps the temp down. I dont plan to overclock right away, and I may never. The idea honestly scares me right now. I know so little about putting together computers I dont want to overcomplicated something for myself. Do I need some sort of cooler for this CPU? $280 said:
CPU: Q6600 2.4Ghz Go Steppin. Problem is clubit sold out of them. I would rather have a go steppin even if I dont overclock, just because it keeps the temp down. I dont plan to overclock right away, and I may never. The idea honestly scares me right now. I know so little about putting together computers I dont want to overcomplicated something for myself. Do I need some sort of cooler for this CPU? $280

Even without the G0 stepping, you should be fine. By the way you talk, I doubt you're going to be gung-ho overclocking. The Q6600 is a good price and is a solid processor. The temperature won't mean anything if you don't overclock.

Motherboard: Gigabyte? GA-P35-DS3R...everyone on this forum keeps speaking wonders for this MB, so I thought it must be a good product. Only thing that bothers me is it only has 2 slots for DDR3, which means if DDR2 goes out of style tomorrow it might hurt it when DDR3 is utilizable. Then again this may be so far in the future that I would have to replace the MB at that point. Any other suggestions then this one...reasons why a more expensive one might be better? $134 said:
Motherboard: Gigabyte? GA-P35-DS3R...everyone on this forum keeps speaking wonders for this MB, so I thought it must be a good product. Only thing that bothers me is it only has 2 slots for DDR3, which means if DDR2 goes out of style tomorrow it might hurt it when DDR3 is utilizable. Then again this may be so far in the future that I would have to replace the MB at that point. Any other suggestions then this one...reasons why a more expensive one might be better? $134

The DS3R is definitely one of my favorites. It is a cheap and effective overclocking hard drive. I highly doubt that DDR3 will be adopted soon. It is expensive and not needed right now.

Harddrive: 150GB Raptor, sole hard drive...will this work? I like the idea of the speed and I honestly can see using more then 150GB for what I use the computer for. Mostly I back things up onto CDs when it gets to be to much or take off a computer game. I never play more then 2 games at a time anyway. $185 said:
Harddrive: 150GB Raptor, sole hard drive...will this work? I like the idea of the speed and I honestly can see using more then 150GB for what I use the computer for. Mostly I back things up onto CDs when it gets to be to much or take off a computer game. I never play more then 2 games at a time anyway. $185

Hard drives have a very small effect on gaming. In my opinion, Raptors are overpriced and not worth it.

Memory: This seems to be a tricky one. When I was into computers back in 2001 it seemed Kingston was the thing everyone swore by, now it seems no one bothers with them. So, OCZ or Ballistics DDR2 (PC8500) 1066. This is the same speed as the CPU if I am not mistaken, so I would have 1:1 right? I get so lost when you guys talk about speed of things being the same...I reall am trying to figure this out...maybe I still have it wrong (sorry if I noobed that up) Next question...should i get 4GB worth...if so... $300ish (ouch). said:
Memory: This seems to be a tricky one. When I was into computers back in 2001 it seemed Kingston was the thing everyone swore by, now it seems no one bothers with them. So, OCZ or Ballistics DDR2 (PC8500) 1066. This is the same speed as the CPU if I am not mistaken, so I would have 1:1 right? I get so lost when you guys talk about speed of things being the same...I reall am trying to figure this out...maybe I still have it wrong (sorry if I noobed that up) Next question...should i get 4GB worth...if so... $300ish (ouch).

That is overkill. 1:1 without OCing is 533, if I recall.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That should be more than enough for anything other than a strong overclock beyond 3.6ghz and has good timings.

Vid card. 8800GTX. not sure what brand. I keep hearing people talk so nicely of these things and I assume this will probably last longer then the lesser ones that are out right now, but that thought comes at a price especially when it may be hundreds cheaper in a few months. Will this fit in my case, not sure how you go about measuring the case before you have it, cant seem to find inside dimensions of a case...but you guys say the GTX is huge 499ish said:
Vid card. 8800GTX. not sure what brand. I keep hearing people talk so nicely of these things and I assume this will probably last longer then the lesser ones that are out right now, but that thought comes at a price especially when it may be hundreds cheaper in a few months. Will this fit in my case, not sure how you go about measuring the case before you have it, cant seem to find inside dimensions of a case...but you guys say the GTX is huge 499ish

The GTX is great. I got no complaints about it. As for the case, I think it will fit, but I'm not sure.

PSU Corsair 620HX ? $170 said:
PSU Corsair 620HX ? $170

That's fine. It is a great power supply. Strong and reliable.

That leaves me with things I dont know keyboard...easy choice though...probably pick this up at a local store. DVD Drive...I have a DVD drive in my computer now, but I am sure better ones then what I have probably cost nothing now.

Finally I would like a new monitor. 30" would be nice, but far to expensive for my blood. I have been looking into 22-24, leaning toward 24 if I can find one I can afford and more importantly one that is good quality. Which brings me to what is a good monitor? I know this is going to be a divided issue with people loving a certain make or model, but in all seriousness I have no idea on how to tell what would make a good monitor. I know the smaller the ms the better. I would like to use this to display 1080p movies if I can and potentially use it in the place of a tv. 24 may be to small for you guys to watch movies, but its plenty big for me to sit less then 3 feet away to watch a movie. said:

Finally I would like a new monitor. 30" would be nice, but far to expensive for my blood. I have been looking into 22-24, leaning toward 24 if I can find one I can afford and more importantly one that is good quality. Which brings me to what is a good monitor? I know this is going to be a divided issue with people loving a certain make or model, but in all seriousness I have no idea on how to tell what would make a good monitor. I know the smaller the ms the better. I would like to use this to display 1080p movies if I can and potentially use it in the place of a tv. 24 may be to small for you guys to watch movies, but its plenty big for me to sit less then 3 feet away to watch a movie.

Sorry, monitors arn't my forte.

crap, almost forgot...Im a gamer at heart...wanna get back into wow. (also want to play Crysis, Bioshock, etc)...but also a graphic designer...and no I dont want a mac!

Sorry again for the length I hope I didnt forget anything...thanks in advance for any help you guys could give me...Im really trying to learn all this stuff. said:

Sorry again for the length I hope I didnt forget anything...thanks in advance for any help you guys could give me...Im really trying to learn all this stuff.

September 11, 2007 2:20:23 AM

Ill agree with everything SanjiWatsuki said and add montiors...

With a GTX i think you would be crazy to go with a 22" it would waste the power of the GTX i little i believe (i could be wrong)

as for 24" Dell 2407 HC is a nice screen with 8 bit panel. However, 1080p is only supported on the DVI.
Samsung 244T is the dells rival (uses the same panel) however, there 245bw uses a 6bit panel and therefore generally has a faster refresh rate.
There is a Cheap Viewsonic at 27.5" getting arround that maybe worth a look - no DVI but it has a converter from HDMI connection. Think this does 1080p
Maverick has also been giving everyone an option with a Planar that i also like the look of its 26" for sale with Dell i think.

Hope that helps
Related resources
September 11, 2007 3:07:56 AM

I do thank you guys for clearing a couple things up with me. I for one had no idea a good 24"ish monitor would be quite so expensive. This is something I will definitely need to save for. I had seen the dell a while ago which had been on sale, but I didnt bite because I didnt know how good of a monitor it was and it seemed funny to me to buy a monitor from dell and not have a dell computer...then again...I guess HP has monitors too.

As far as the cases...define tame? Do you mean thats its not as flashy or that it isnt as efficient? I could really care less about it being ultra flashy. I know some guys are into this, but I never was. I would always rather go for performance over looks. I just liked the idea of my buddies having a dust filter on the intake of his and wondered if they are all like that or if other companies have that standard as well. I just want to have an easier time keeping the bits clean. His case never had a touch of dust in it...it was amazing to see next to my dust bucket Dell.

I also mentioned that I am a graphic designer and I would think that the speed of the raptor would increase the loading of programs and writing of files. I may buy a larger slower hard drive later and use it for storage, but I am trying to keep down on the initial price aka sticker shock.

As far as the memory you suggested it seems like it has gotten good reviews, but it kinda scares me to be a name i am not familiar with. I am not saying good guys cant come up with good products that arent as well known, but I just dont like being a lab rat to new products. LOL. I understand what you are saying about speed though. Is there a site you can point me to or a post I may have missed that explains better to me about 1:1 and the actual speeds of certain memory. DDR3 does sound like its what DDR2 was when I remember it come out.

I am not terribly against overclocking, I just wonder what the real advantages are, is there a true performance gain or is it like 1000HP compared to 500HP in a car, just more wheel spin. Plus, I am afraid of frying my precious bits for a minimal gain (if that is the case).

The GTX may also be overkill, but I would like to be able to bump up all the graphics at first at least and be able to enjoy things like Half Life 2 at full mode instead of choppy at lowest graphics.

My total computer cost right now including monitor and such sounds like it is going to be well into 2K which is definitely more then I thought I was going to be spending and more then I really have right now. Beyond the suggested slower memory which seems like an obvious one from what you are saying, is there anything else that can be tweaked?

Thanks again all
September 11, 2007 4:15:06 AM

krod said:
I do thank you guys for clearing a couple things up with me. I for one had no idea a good 24"ish monitor would be quite so expensive. This is something I will definitely need to save for. I had seen the dell a while ago which had been on sale, but I didnt bite because I didnt know how good of a monitor it was and it seemed funny to me to buy a monitor from dell and not have a dell computer...then again...I guess HP has monitors too.

I'm not a monitor expert, but if I remember correctly, Dell has great monitors. Not sure on the pricing though.

As far as the cases...define tame? Do you mean thats its not as flashy or that it isnt as efficient? I could really care less about it being ultra flashy. I know some guys are into this, but I never was. I would always rather go for performance over looks. I just liked the idea of my buddies having a dust filter on the intake of his and wondered if they are all like that or if other companies have that standard as well. I just want to have an easier time keeping the bits clean. His case never had a touch of dust in it...it was amazing to see next to my dust bucket Dell. said:
As far as the cases...define tame? Do you mean thats its not as flashy or that it isnt as efficient? I could really care less about it being ultra flashy. I know some guys are into this, but I never was. I would always rather go for performance over looks. I just liked the idea of my buddies having a dust filter on the intake of his and wondered if they are all like that or if other companies have that standard as well. I just want to have an easier time keeping the bits clean. His case never had a touch of dust in it...it was amazing to see next to my dust bucket Dell.

It means not as flashy. It is just as efficient. In this day and age, you almost have to pay extra for a tame and efficient case, haha.

I also mentioned that I am a graphic designer and I would think that the speed of the raptor would increase the loading of programs and writing of files. I may buy a larger slower hard drive later and use it for storage, but I am trying to keep down on the initial price aka sticker shock. said:
I also mentioned that I am a graphic designer and I would think that the speed of the raptor would increase the loading of programs and writing of files. I may buy a larger slower hard drive later and use it for storage, but I am trying to keep down on the initial price aka sticker shock.

Hm. This flies in the face of sticker shock, but I would really have to suggest the 1TB hard drive from Hitachi.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is amazingly FASTER than the Raptor. It has 1TB of data. If you're willing to shell out early, this could fulfill the purposes of both hard drives.

As far as the memory you suggested it seems like it has gotten good reviews, but it kinda scares me to be a name i am not familiar with. I am not saying good guys cant come up with good products that arent as well known, but I just dont like being a lab rat to new products. LOL. I understand what you are saying about speed though. Is there a site you can point me to or a post I may have missed that explains better to me about 1:1 and the actual speeds of certain memory. DDR3 does sound like its what DDR2 was when I remember it come out. said:
As far as the memory you suggested it seems like it has gotten good reviews, but it kinda scares me to be a name i am not familiar with. I am not saying good guys cant come up with good products that arent as well known, but I just dont like being a lab rat to new products. LOL. I understand what you are saying about speed though. Is there a site you can point me to or a post I may have missed that explains better to me about 1:1 and the actual speeds of certain memory. DDR3 does sound like its what DDR2 was when I remember it come out.

I didn't find a link in a quick search I did, but think of it like this.
A stock Q6600 has a 1066 FSB. 1066 / 2 = 533.
At stock speed, it uses DDR2-533.
1066 / 4 = 266.5

Now, the Q6600 has a multiplier of 9.

266.5 * 9 = ~2400mhz

If you were to say... run the Q6600 at 3ghz it would look like this.
3000 / 9 = ~333
333 * 4 = ~1333

At 3ghz, it has a FSB of 1333.

1333 / 2 = ~667

It uses DDR2-667.

I hope I helped a little.

I am not terribly against overclocking, I just wonder what the real advantages are, is there a true performance gain or is it like 1000HP compared to 500HP in a car, just more wheel spin. Plus, I am afraid of frying my precious bits for a minimal gain (if that is the case). said:
I am not terribly against overclocking, I just wonder what the real advantages are, is there a true performance gain or is it like 1000HP compared to 500HP in a car, just more wheel spin. Plus, I am afraid of frying my precious bits for a minimal gain (if that is the case).

If done correctly, you shouldn't kill anything. Overclocking should be done in little steps so you don't do any damage. The gains could be great. You could be running your Q6600 at 3.2ghz or so. It'd be much faster than 2.4ghz. This is a golden age for overclocking. I'd read up on it more and made a decision yourself about if you feel comfortable doing it.

A good comparison would be if someone was running on a treadmill. They can normally jog at 3 miles an hour. They can run 5 miles an hour, but Intel slowed them down. Most of them will still run 5 miles an hour if you tell them to through the BIOS. Some of them are too hot and people install a fan. Some people tell them to run 10 miles an hour. Even though they can run 10 miles an hour, they get too hot and stop running on the treadmill. These people give them a water bottle and the man on the treadmill can run again.

We could start talking about how some crazy people stick liquid nitrogen on people on treadmills, but you get the gist of it.

The GTX may also be overkill, but I would like to be able to bump up all the graphics at first at least and be able to enjoy things like Half Life 2 at full mode instead of choppy at lowest graphics. said:
The GTX may also be overkill, but I would like to be able to bump up all the graphics at first at least and be able to enjoy things like Half Life 2 at full mode instead of choppy at lowest graphics.

Right now, the GTX is overkill. It might be a decent futureproof for future games, though.

My total computer cost right now including monitor and such sounds like it is going to be well into 2K which is definitely more then I thought I was going to be spending and more then I really have right now. Beyond the suggested slower memory which seems like an obvious one from what you are saying, is there anything else that can be tweaked? said:
My total computer cost right now including monitor and such sounds like it is going to be well into 2K which is definitely more then I thought I was going to be spending and more then I really have right now. Beyond the suggested slower memory which seems like an obvious one from what you are saying, is there anything else that can be tweaked?

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It has a filter to stop dust and should be a good case.

If you choose not to overclock the quad-core, then you can cut on the PSU to the HX520 or the Antec NeoHE 550W. As long as you don't get a more powerful video card that zaps more power, you should be fine with those.

September 11, 2007 5:23:07 AM

Don't know your actual budget, but here's something to look at to address your needs:
CPU - $200 e6750
Mobo - $137 DS3R
Memory - $60 2gig's after $30 MIR DDR2 800mHz (more than enough for you)
GPU - $357 8800gts 640 (needed for higher resolutions) after $20 MIR
PSU - $60 Antec 550w after $45 MIR (plenty of power for this setup)
Monitor - $540 shipped including $100 MIR for 24" WS Not sure if this works for you or not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...
Case - $50 shipped! Simple but effective
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...
OS - $112 Shipped Vista 64bit Premium (all you should ever need for awhile)
DVD burner (retail) - $40 Your choice here too. Many to chose from and all pretty good. Retail version comes with burning software for about $4-5 more than the OEM versions.

Total - ~$1730shipped - $195 in MIR's (if you trust MIR's) = ~$1535!!! Not sure if this is too much for you, but you can decide for yourself
September 11, 2007 11:24:52 PM

According to http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ and several other sources Sammy makes the panels for the 24" Dell, Gateway, HP et al. In most instances the panels are identical, thus the only difference between monitors is cosmetics, user features and support.

But Sammy is not the only panel maker. LG Philips, NEC and a whole host of Far East companies make panels. Sammy may make panels, but some Sammy models even use panels from other companies.

MOST (not all) 24" panels are going to be 8bit and offer slower gaming response but a much better color response. Check TrustedReviews for some very good reviews on monitors.

The 6bit 24" panels are becoming more common and sub $500 prices are common on these monitors. The colors looks bright and vivid and blacks seem to really bounce, but in reality those 6bit panels are not as good as the 8bit for critical work.

Gamers are going to be happier with the faster 6bit panels with low ms values while graphic artists will be much happier with the 8bit panel. Movies and TV can play on either panel, though the faster 6bit panel might be better for action, while the 8bit panel is going to be better for black depth and color display.

Yes you really got a choice.

The sub $500 24" panels are dropping down to as low as $400, and I suspect they could drop a few bucks more by Xmas as more and more companies offer 24" monitors.

The 8bit panels are hanging around the $650 price point. Good deals (about $550) can be had from time to time on the Dell monitor, and Gateway can be bought at BB which means sales and coupons are possible as well.

Personally I am checking out the Gateway and Dell monitors. I like the feature set better on the Gateway and Dell than some other brands as some companies have their controls side mounted on the panel or do not offer height or tilt adjustment AND most importantly Gateway can be bought off the shelf at BB which means returns are much easier in the event of a dead panel or pixels.

By the way, BB has a fair selection of 24" panels on display. CC has NONE at my local store, and the office supply places also sell monitors but they are only stocking 22".
September 11, 2007 11:47:09 PM

Nice! Thanks StevieD for the info. Didn't know that much about panels, but now feel better informed!!!
September 12, 2007 12:12:23 AM

FYI, go with the Q6600 and they're back in stock at ClubIt.
September 12, 2007 12:49:48 AM

StevieD, thanks for your insight into the monitor world. I had a lax day at work today, so I did a lot of research on computers. Seems a lot of LCDs have ghosting. I work on a 22" widescreen mac screen and I cant recall seeing ghosting in it. As I said before I had been looking into the dell, but it surely isnt cheap. There are larger screens for the same price, but they are the same amount of pixels (so they stretch the pixels and it causes somewhat of a blurr...seems kinda retarted to me). I like the idea of getting a 24", but worry if the typical 8ms would be fast enough. The last thing I want is to spend a ton of money and end up with something that is less then I had hoped to get as far as visual if I am spending all this money to boost the visual.

I read about some issues at work about the Raptor having problems with Vista, which isnt a good thing IMO. I really no little about harddrives, but the faster speed seemed like a good thing, plus I dont use much harddrive space...chances are I will never use 1TB in the next 20 years with the way I use a computer.

I liked the idea of getting a 8800GTX as that seemed to be the first thing to go out of date on my previous machine, but being as its the best card out of the line that sells right now it comes at a price for being the top dog. I am still wondering how you go about measuring if the 8800GTX will fit in the lian li I asked about. I think I could live without it (the 8800GTX), but I would probably prefer to have it. Same thing goes for the quad core. Quad core is something I refuse to skimp on, after all I am hearing about how the quad core will be running most things in the near game design future...I couldnt see not having it. Was at the mac website today and you can buy a dual quad core machine now...8 cores...wtf (did I mention I was bored at work today?).

So after much stubbornness on my behalf I have decided to come up with a new list.
Case: Lian Li (same as before, but I wanna get something good that should outlast the rest of the pieces) $130
MoBo:Gigabtye DSR3 as before $134
Hard drive: 150GB Raptor, this one isnt set in stone, but really I dont need lots of storage $185
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227252...for the price wow, but I would be open to other ideas if you got some. $190
PSU: would the cheaper antec be able to run everything for what I need...cause for the lesser price would be nice (if so) $60
CPU:Go steppin Q6600 $280
DVD burner: ~$40
Monitor: I am still sincerely shopping...any further help would be appreciated. the one lunyone suggested looks good though for $540 (though I have always been skeptical of MIB being stiffed a couple of times in the past.
Last but not least Vidcard: 8800GTX ~$499 or 8800GTS 640 ~357. Honestly might for the extra 150 step up to the plate...what brand should I go with?

damn, 2.1K...though this is including a 500plus monitor...so I guess its more like a 1.5K system, which seems reasonable...

so how to make it cheaper...what bits could I loose, what make it better? What brands should I go with for everything? Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys are seriously helping me here!
September 16, 2007 3:19:55 AM

I am a big fan of Viewsonic, but I crossed that monitor off of my list to purchase specifically due to the limited height adjustment.
!