joelbaby

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Hi,

I am running this config:

E6850 @ 3GHz, FSB 1333, 333x9
Antec P182 Case
Big Typhoon VX cooler.

The CPU temperature is 50C. If I boost all the fans to max, it comes down to about 46C.

Does this seem a little high? From web reviews I was expecting something in the 30-35C region.

Is the problem with this config the cooler? I wonder if the fact that the cooler fan points upwards away from the CPU and finishes about 3cm away from the side casing (which has no side vents) is making the cooling inefficient.

The P182 case does have a top and rear fan. Would a Thermalright Ultra 120, or Noctua NH-U12, or another cooler be a better choice for this antec case??

Thanks,

Joel

joelbaby

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Hi,

I think the thermal compound is applied ok (although I could remove it and reapply).

If the system is IDLE - the temperature drops down to 25C very quickly.
However, the CPU speed also drops to around 2Ghz (according to Asus AISuite mobo utility).

If the system is cranking away, the CPU speed increases to 3GHz, and the temperature rises to 50C.

Joel

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
The rise/fall of the frequency is normal.. This is C1E/EIST.

I would read Comp's guide on calibrating your temperatures with SpeedFan if you are confident you did everything right. I would do it over again though, personally.

joelbaby

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Right,

But when the system is not idle and running at 3GHz is 50C a reasonable temperature, or should it be lower with a decent air cooled setup?

Joel

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Personally? I think it sucks for 3.0 GHz. However I don't know if the Big Typhoon is all that great. Is it dangerous? No.

However, I'd want OCing headroom. If you aren't looking for that, relax, it's fine.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
*edit* cnumartyr wins again! (with a much better answer) :p

I know it would be lower with a TR Ultra 120E. I've never seen how your cooler performs though, so I can't give you a 100% "is this normal answer". I suppose it's somewhere in the safe range though. My Athalon x2 5000+ (@ 2.66Ghz) hovers around 45-48C w/ stock cooling, even after a few hours of gaming. Idle is around 33-35C.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The Big Typhoon VX cooler is one of the best coolers I have seen in reviews...

depending on your ambient room temps / case temps I would have expected maybe a reading of 38 - 45ish

a reading of 50 doesn't take a room all that warmer than the others the HSF's were tested in.

also, maybe the CPU heat spreader or the base of the HS are concave or a little convex...
lapping can improve temps by maybe 8c

maybe check out the lapping guidesby graysky, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/235616-11-finished-lapping-q6600-with-pics-results, if only to check out if something isn't quite flat in there - check the easy options B4 this though of course ;)

(of course lapping will void your warranty, but is easy to do)

I think both your case and HSF are good - is a matter of something else giving you a highish temp reading...

The Big Typhoon VX is my current 2nd choice cooler in my budget, with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 as my current fav :)

good luck sorting your temps!

joelbaby

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Hi,

a quick update. The retailer had not applied any thermal grease to the heatsink!!

I have done this myself, and now load temperature around 38-40C, and idle is 28C. System temp is 32C ... it seems odd that this is higher than CPU temp.

Ambient room temperature is 23C.

Joel