LiquidInfinity

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Hey, my newly built machine will occasionally power down while I'm using it. It doesn't seem to correlate too strongly with any particular event/program.
The symptoms are similar to CPU overheating, but Core Temp reads both my cores in the 20-40C range almost at all times - even right before cutting power. I also just did an application of ArcticSilver5 to replace the manufacturer's thermal paste.
My second guess is that my RAM is may be a fault. I'm running a supposedly picky MoBo with memory not officially tested . . . I've heard there are workarounds in the BIOS settings, but I haven't done anything as I'm not entirely sure the RAM is causing the problem.

Here are some specs:
O/S- Windows Vista 32
MoBo- ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU- AMD X2 4800 Brisbane
GPU- EVGA 7900 GS KO
RAM- 1GX2 Patriot PC6400 800MHz 4-4-4-12

If you need more intel, let me know . . . thanks

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I've noticed that My computer would do that same thing if I were running coretemp simultaneously with another monitoring program, such as Rivatuner. You said you didn't see a corrolation between programs, but I thought I would mention my experience.

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
swap that power supply with a backup power supply or one you might have in another pc or ask a friend to borrow their power supply for an hour or two then see if your pc still has random shut downs. hopefully it will be ok. Enermax Liberty is a tier 2 psu but still you may have gotten a dud. find out soon so you can send it back if you need to.

LiquidInfinity

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Thanks for the help fellas. It actually seems that the CoreTemp/multiple program thing might have been happening. Just finished an hour of gaming with no issues - but I'll keep an eye on my PSU if things go haywire again.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I had the same problem, its coretemp.. doesnt have to run with another program to power off the computer. Google for it random power off with coretemp 0.95