Question regarding the death of a hard drive

xenaki0001

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I recently replaced a dead hard drive in an HP. When i installed the new hard drive and ran it through a hard drive tested, the drive started clicking.. The drive tested fine, but i dont trust it. Its a 300gb ide seagate.

I tested the psu and the 12v was reading in at about 11.70.. which is quite common for hps/dells ive found.

Is it possible for the under voltage to kill the hard drive so quickly and not damage anything else, or was it most likely just a bad drive to begin with?

sailer

Splendid
Under voltage will not kill a hard drive. It may refuse to engage, but it won't burn out. It could be that the stock HP hard drive was slower or something so that it was quieter. Some of the HPs that I've worked on only had 5400 RPM drives, so that when I put a new 7200 RPM drive into one, it was a bit noisier, but the people all said the new drive made the computer faster. If you've tested the new Seagate hard drive and everything was fine, then its probably just the nature of the beast. You'll get better performance than before, but you have to pay for that better performance with more noise and heat.

xenaki0001

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Im sorry i wasnt more clear in my original post.. but this is not normal loud hard drive noise (i have a 74gb raptor, so i know what loud drives sound like :)), its a metallic clicking noise, akin to the WD click of death.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Run the Segate Diagnostic on it...or better yet run SpinRite 6.0 in mode #5 (it will take all night but it also repaires most "bad sectors").
www.grc.com for SpinRite.

sailer

Splendid

Ok, then do as ZOldDude suggested with the diagnostics, and if anything is found abnormal, RMA the thing. And if it matches the "click of death", then RMA it even if it does pass the tests.

TRENDING THREADS