maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Ok so my friend has an older pc with the following parts:

mobo: Asus p4p800 SE
ram: 512 mb
hard drive: 40 gig
cpu: 2.8 p4

ok so he used to have a radeon 9200 and a bad 200 watt psu so i replaced those with a 520 watt corsair psu, and a radeon 1650pro 512mb AGP card. I also added a dvd drive because he didnt have one before.

Anyways so i put everything together and then loaded it up and it worked well, so i used the drivers that came with the card on the disc. I loaded that and then we loaded up Half Life 2 and that worked well, but then i wanted to test out the dvd drive so i put a movie in and loaded windows media player. However it said the display drivers were out of date. So i was like wtf, and then proceeded to download driver cleaner pro and the latest ati drivers. I then followed the steps of taking out a driver.
after that was done i loaded back and started to put the new driver on, but after it should have been done it said that components were already on the system! so i thought i made a mistake and did the process again, which didnt work. I then did it 6 more times at least and now im here..

also on reboot of the pc after getting that bad install of drivers i got a blue screen saying the pc was stuck in an infinite loop due to drivers or faulty hardware... i definitely think its the drivers.. so anyways what did i do wrong and how can i fix this.

*my friend has been over for over 8 hours and i told him it would be just under an hour... however it has been considerably longer so please any help would be greatly appreciated..

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I am not God, so can't help. Try praying instead of preying. After that, try doing a site search, then try doing a google search.

Not being a religious person of the godly persuasion, I cannot verify this as an actual quote so I'll paraphrase it.... 'God helps those that help themselves.'

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

That's your problem, you used Driver Cleaner Pro, big mistake! It removed the files without correcting the registry, maybe using regclean in between might have worked.

Updating an ATI video driver is easy, just install the new Catalyst pack, and it takes care of updating. Worst case, use the ATI Uninstall tool to remove ALL ATI files then install the new Catalyst software. You could try that now. If you have any other ATI hardware such as a capture card, physically remove it until the VGA card is reinstalled.

Superheat

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I had a similiar problem with ati 1950 pro 512Meg card. Boot up in safe mode and double check add/remove programs and be sure ati drivers are gone. Check in the hardware device manager and make sure you do not see a display device, if so remove it. When you run ati drivers I would recommend the 7.7 ati driver which is most stable for these cards. The newer drivers had issues and were designed more to address issues with ATi 2xxx series cards some were not compatible with the 19xx series. When you install drivers at this point Ati installer will look to remove old drivers. It may be worthwhile before doing this to run a registry cleaner/fix program.

I could not get my card stable without installing ati tray tools. It seems that the ati ccc has issues, I even went and bought larger power supply with no luck whatsoever. The ati tray tool for some reason along with ccc isntalled was able to allow my card to run properly. Also if running amd dual core processor go to amd site and download the amd dual core optimizer. Hopefully some of this can help. I know I pulled my hair out for days to get mine to run correct, I have never had such a problem with any drivers before this. Links to software included below:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/ this is ati tray tools link
http://www.overclock.net/ this is best forum to post video card problems and to see resolutions
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html link to amd dual core optimizer

Best of Luck,

J Turner