Sign in with
Your question

E2180 @ 2.8 .......Temps 54C

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2007 11:32:52 PM

I'm just checking about this

I have an E2180 and P35-DS3L right now running at 3.0 at 1.34xxxV

According to speedfan while Prime95 I have a Temp of 54C (28 idle) on the cores and 51 (25 idle) on the CPU itself
What is safe for my CPU?

Is this a little much (calibration problem)......o and I'm using the stock HSF for now till I get a 120 Extreme

Also, on the DS3L I have no 1:1, the lowest is 2.0 , multiplier (I think its a double because its DDR2)
Secondly where do I find the timings (aren't in BIOS) for the RAM

More about : e2180 temps 54c

December 8, 2007 12:28:37 AM

Temps are a bit high for dual-core, but it's totally safe. Basically anything under 70C is safe, but obviously not good if you get to 70C.

You have a Gigabyte mobo. I believe you have to hit Ctrl-F1 in the bios menu to unlock the settings.
December 8, 2007 3:00:25 PM

Actually 54 Celsius for load is a very good temperature. Don't worry, totally safe.
Related resources
December 8, 2007 3:49:53 PM

Honestly, your core voltage is high for 3.0GHz. You *should* be able to run at 3.0 closer to stock voltage.
December 8, 2007 4:02:04 PM

Nightscope.........I helped u when you were ordering your system

What are your specs (temps, Vcore, Frequency, etc)

Thanks in advance

And also for the high Vcore......It is now 1.35625.....I can't go lower....a tad lower and the computer doesn't boot
December 8, 2007 4:09:48 PM

Sorry for a second post but under Prime95 a got a BSOD with the aboce config

RAM timings are relaxed (5-5-5-18)
December 8, 2007 4:09:53 PM

That's really odd. I guess it's just the difference between the 2xxx and the 65xx chips. At 3.4GHz I only have to feed this thing 1.35v.

Or it could also be vdroop on your board. Mine tends to be around 50-80mV. With BIOS vcore of 1.35 during Prime95 Small FFT, core voltage drops to ~1.29v.

Compare your BIOS vcore setting to what CPU-z shows during stressing. I'm just curious really.
December 8, 2007 4:15:38 PM

Well the problem is when I test with that setting i get a Blue Screen of Death

While idle, CPU-Z reads 1.328, load is 1.296.....
December 8, 2007 4:17:37 PM

What type of Prime95 test did you run? If you ran the blended tests, it may be your RAM causing the BSOD. If you ran Small FFT, then you may need to give even more voltage to the CPU. I wouldn't go much over 1.4 max.
December 8, 2007 4:21:09 PM

Another tip if you did run the blended tests and that's what caused your error. If you haven't already, make sure you set your RAM's voltage manually. If you have it on Auto, it may be pumping way too much voltage. On my Maximus, on Auto, it was pushing 2.3v into my memory according to Everest. I notched it down to default 2.1v and it's ran fine.
December 8, 2007 4:22:56 PM

I did small FFT......I just upped the voltage to 1.3625

CPU-Z reads 1.328 (idle) and 1.312 (load)

Testing......no BSOD yet...........Core #2 failed in a minute (always the one that fails)

Do I add more voltage?
December 8, 2007 4:24:37 PM

Good luck! I wish I could give more advice. It seems that our chips have very different characteristics though. I wouldn't want to give advice that might damage something :) 
December 8, 2007 4:27:47 PM

Silverion77 said:
I did small FFT......I just upped the voltage to 1.3625

CPU-Z reads 1.328 (idle) and 1.312 (load)

Testing......no BSOD yet...........Core #2 failed in a minute (always the one that fails)

Do I add more voltage?

If it fails and you want it stable you have to add more voltage (at your own risk).
December 8, 2007 4:29:35 PM

Well, like I said, I'm not sure about safe max voltage on the 2xxx series. If they are all basically the same, then take it up to 1.375.

That's still well within safe limits. Just keep an eye on your temps.
December 8, 2007 4:35:48 PM

Thanatos421 said:
Well, like I said, I'm not sure about safe max voltage on the 2xxx series. If they are all basically the same, then take it up to 1.375.

That's still well within safe limits. Just keep an eye on your temps.

Personally as long as temps are under control I'd take it up to 1.45-1.5 for 24/7 and 1.6-1.7 for Benching.
December 8, 2007 4:37:20 PM

Well at those voltages, it is almost assuredly going to work. I've always taken the opposite approach though. Start low and tick high til you find it.
December 8, 2007 4:42:27 PM

Thanatos421 said:
Well at those voltages, it is almost assuredly going to work. I've always taken the opposite approach though. Start low and tick high til you find it.

I do the same thing, but those are the general "limits" for where I will increase it to.
December 8, 2007 5:15:22 PM

I raised the voltage to 1.375 and Prime95 was running fine and then on Test 8 i got another BSOD......I have no clue whats wrong??

Any ideas
December 8, 2007 5:19:13 PM

Silverion77 said:
I raised the voltage to 1.375 and Prime95 was running fine and then on Test 8 i got another BSOD......I have no clue whats wrong??

Any ideas

BSOD or it just restarted?

Do me a favor and fill this out:

Memory Default: DDR2-???
Bus Clock:
CPU Clock:
CPU Multiplier:
Memory Multiplier:
Memory Speed: DDR2-???? (What are you running it at now?)
Memory Voltage:
Edit: Also timings according to CPU-Z would be helpful, as well as the SPD from CPU-Z.
December 8, 2007 5:39:21 PM

Thanks for the help guys.......

Well I turned it back to stock settings (2.0) and ran another test......turns out the second core is faulty......failed in 6 minutes.....i guess I got a dud

Should I return it to newegg?
December 8, 2007 5:41:21 PM

Silverion77 said:
Thanks for the help guys.......

Well I turned it back to stock settings (2.0) and ran another test......turns out the second core is faulty......failed in 6 minutes.....i guess I got a dud

Should I return it to newegg?

Are you running small FFTs or Blend?
December 8, 2007 5:41:44 PM

small FFTs

Never mind on newegg (return is up)...i guess I'll need Intel
December 8, 2007 5:44:20 PM

Silverion77 said:
small FFTs

Never mind on newegg (return is up)...i guess I'll need Intel

Yea.. BSODs normally make me think memory. If you want to just satisfy your own mind, run MemTest86 off a Bootdisk over night. If memory all checks out RMA the processor.
December 8, 2007 5:45:26 PM

Well I have 64-bit will that be a problem?
December 8, 2007 5:47:10 PM

Silverion77 said:
Well I have 64-bit will that be a problem?

Nope, you run it off a Boot disk :D 

If you run it in Windows it can't test all the RAM, as some is already allocated to the OS.
December 8, 2007 6:14:15 PM

Sorry about this but I am not very good with Operating Systems.......How do you do that? (stupid i kno.....but i need to know)
December 8, 2007 6:18:05 PM

http://www.memtest86.com/

Go there and click Free Download.

Download the Memtest86 v3.4 ISO ZIP.

Unzip and burn to a CD. (You may need an ISO Burner to do this.)

Restart the computer and boot from CD.

Edit: This will basically just completely test your memory to see if there are any errors whatsoever. Let it run overnight.
December 8, 2007 6:37:26 PM

thanks for the help

Well I did what you said and ran it (nothing better to do)
It finished in like 3 seconds......AND THERES SOMETHING WRONG (i think)

It ran 10 tests and the results were as followed
Test 1: 56 errors.....for each consecutive test there was in increase in errors till Test 10: 168 errors

I think this might be the problen and it explains the BSODs, but what about the dud Core #2 on the stress tests.
Could this cause it?

Edit: Also, how come I only got BSODs while stressing the system? If they were dud wouldnt it happen more often?
December 8, 2007 6:39:38 PM

Silverion77 said:
thanks for the help

Well I did what you said and ran it (nothing better to do)
It finished in like 3 seconds......AND THERES SOMETHING WRONG (i think)

It ran 10 tests and the results were as followed
Test 1: 56 errors.....for each consecutive test there was in increase in errors till Test 10: 168 errors

I think this might be the problen and it explains the BSODs, but what about the dud Core #2 on the stress tests.
Could this cause it?

You definately have something wrong with that memory.

As far as causing issues with the C2D I really am not sure. Since it's out of RMA time with Newegg I would check the RMA time left with Intel or the Warranty. If it's still a ways off I'd just RMA the memory. If the CPU RMA is getting close I'd just RMA them both.

Try each stick seperately (1 stick at a time) and see if one of them will work.
December 8, 2007 6:45:38 PM

well I bought both on 11/4.....the RAM is Crucial so that's no problem for RMA and Intel gives a 3 year warranty with the CPU so I guess I'll just do the RAM for now
December 8, 2007 8:03:50 PM

Hey again.....

Well I looked at CPU-Z again and my CPU was back at 3.0 (swear I changed it) well I changed it to stock (for sure) and it now appears stable (including Core #2) so it must all be the memory
December 8, 2007 8:12:54 PM

Silverion77 said:
Nightscope.........I helped u when you were ordering your system

What are your specs (temps, Vcore, Frequency, etc)

Thanks in advance

And also for the high Vcore......It is now 1.35625.....I can't go lower....a tad lower and the computer doesn't boot

Right now I have my cpu running at 1.8 Ghz (clocked down) in order to figure out what is making my temps go crazy. I'm sitting at 42 Celsius idle and when I run orthos it hits on 70 Celsius... I ordered a new cpu cooler and should be here monday (hyper tx), so hopefully it will fix my temperature problem.

I could hit 3.0 Ghz with it with about 1.32 voltage BTW, could go all the way down to 1.3 but was too worried about temps.
December 8, 2007 8:34:15 PM

Youre kidding me!!!! I wasnt stable at 3.0 at 1.37......maybe I should RMA mine because it sucks even if the second core works
December 8, 2007 8:35:35 PM

Silverion77 said:
Youre kidding me!!!! I wasnt stable at 3.0 at 1.37......maybe I should RMA mine because it sucks even if the second core works

Lol.. it happens.

My Q6600 is pretty average. 1.2875 VID. Takes 1.4 vCore to get stable at 3.6 GHz.

I know guys with 1.2000 VID who get 3.6 @ 1.3ish vCore.

I also know guys with 1.3500 vCore who can't get 3.6 GHz stable without more than 1.5 vCore.

It's all luck of the draw.
December 8, 2007 8:40:34 PM

Yeah but if I do it will they know!?!?!?! :D  :lol:  :p 

I'll just say I had problems with core #2 what will they know
December 8, 2007 8:41:53 PM

Silverion77 said:
Yeah but if I do it will they know!?!?!?! :D  :lol:  :p 

I'll just say I had problems with core #2 what will they know

Oh I agree.. trust me.
December 8, 2007 8:46:53 PM

should I?? (I'm really considering it)
I mean I bought it specifically to overclock and it's not really doing that purpose

Does it cost anything (besides shipping)
December 8, 2007 8:47:43 PM

Silverion77 said:
should I?? (I'm really considering it)
I mean I bought it specifically to overclock and it's not really doing that purpose

Does it cost anything (besides shipping)

You might end up with one that is worse.
December 8, 2007 8:50:32 PM

Yeah.....but mine is pathetic, how can you get any worse unless they store the worse exactly for RMA's :lol: 

I mean, I looked online and all benchies I see are close to stock at 3.0-3.2 and even 3.4
December 9, 2007 2:42:36 AM

@ cnumartyr

Is there a way to see if that Core #2 is busted......I mean it was the one that always failed....at stock I got no problems but I still think it is busted in some way
December 9, 2007 2:50:07 AM

Silverion77 said:
@ cnumartyr

Is there a way to see if that Core #2 is busted......I mean it was the one that always failed....at stock I got no problems but I still think it is busted in some way

Not unless you get ram that works.
December 9, 2007 8:26:26 PM

Well i did what you said in a earlier post and tried each RAM separately......and both got the exact same results (identical!!)

I thought that maybe one might be busted, but both getting the exact same problems (and it still took 3 seconds to run......shouldn't it take longer?)

Is that meant to happen???? Or is it possible this might be a problem with my motherboard??

Edit: Just ran Memtest test again and watched more carefully....... I get about 21% through test 2 and then I just get a summary with giberrish and 168 errors on test 10.....but it didn't even run it!?!?!?

cnumartyr please help.....
December 10, 2007 2:30:02 PM

That's a really odd error.

If you can I would try the RAM in another motherboard, and try some more RAM in that one. It's hard to determine what is doing what with just the RAM/Motherboard you have. It may very well be a motherboard issue.

If you can't do that, RMA all of it. :kaola: 
December 10, 2007 2:57:35 PM

Well that's a problem.....
The other computers have 256 mb of DDR Ram......but those wont work

Thanks again for the help......this is just really annoying me (Guess the building part of it was the half of the whole project)

Edit: Well there is the dilemma......i got no spare RAM or motherboards.....so RMA it all or do RAM first then motherboard??
December 10, 2007 6:05:03 PM

RMA the motherboard and see what happens. Atleast one of those sticks should be good.
December 10, 2007 6:37:18 PM

Well I called up Crucial.......I got to someone (even though the Christmas music for 30 min. was annoying :kaola:  )
They said, and I quote "168!!!.....There's definitely something wrong.... :heink:  "

He also said it is most likely the RAM not mobo.....if they failed together, but worked separately it would be the motherboard, but if they both failed separately its the RAM.......so we'll see

And when it still doesn't work.....we RMA the motherboard!!!! :bounce: 
December 10, 2007 6:50:27 PM

Silverion77 said:
Well I called up Crucial.......I got to someone (even though the Christmas music for 30 min. was annoying :kaola:  )
They said, and I quote "168!!!.....There's definitely something wrong.... :heink:  "

He also said it is most likely the RAM not mobo.....if they failed together, but worked separately it would be the motherboard, but if they both failed separately its the RAM.......so we'll see

And when it still doesn't work.....we RMA the motherboard!!!! :bounce: 

Glad you got it worked out, good luck! :D 
!