hardware not registering right in BIOS

mi1ez

Splendid
I recently upgraded my cheapo mobo to an Asus P5K-E deluxe wifi-AP, but rather strangely, it no longer sees my dvd drive correctly.

Before (ie. previous mobo), it came up as "Optiarc DVD....."
now (the ASUS P5K mobo), it comes up as "ATAPI CD-ROM"

Anyone got any advice how to get it to register properly? I can't reinstal windows at the moment, and i can't boot, even to safe mode.

Thanks

mi1ez

Splendid
Possibly replacing the drive (which i assume is a cheap nasty one anyway) for a SATA one will help?

At least SATA devices are listed more sensibly in the Asus BIOS...

mi1ez

Splendid
I've done a bit of background reading, am I right to assume that my P35 mobo won't have the controller to use an ATA/ATAPI optical drive?

"Be sure to purchase an optical drive with a SATA interface instead of UltraATA, because the Intel chipset doesn’t support UltraATA anymore. Though most enthusiast motherboards offer an additional UltraATA controller to enable the user to connect legacy devices, you will want to disable all unused components."

torcida_kutina

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
it depends on whether you installed IDE drivers from chipset, or leaving the one from Microsoft. Thats way you get ATAPI CD ROM instead Optiarc....

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
The JMicron controls the IDE drives and you are fine with how the ODD shows up in BIOS. If you have problems running it then load drivers from the board's CD but it does seem the day of PATA is setting and it will be a SATA world soon.

mi1ez

Splendid
Cleared the CMOS and now get the Optiarc DVD option as well as ATAPI CD-ROM.

Still won't boot from the DVD!

I'm starting to think the drive may be dead. I'm gonna fish around for another and test with that. Will keep you posted.