Gigabyte P35-DQ6 compatibility with Zalman CNPS9700 LED

Zex

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I just bought Gigabyte P35-DQ6 version 1.0 and now i'm just about to buy Zalman CNPS9700 LED but is it compatible with that hudge chipest pasive cooler? because I have Zalman CNPS7700-Cu and I cant install it because pasive cooling

I wouldn't buy the 9700, it's noisy and expensive and it's not even the most effective cooler.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is the best cooler these days. It will fit on that board, but it's very tight. See here, for example:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244344-29-ultra-extreme-tight

You could also try a Thermalright Ultima-90. It's smaller, and I think it should fit without all that fuss. As performance goes, it's almost as good as the Ultra 120.

A friend of mine runs a custom build shop. In the past 3 weeks he put three of these on three Gigabyte boards. There's plenty of height to clear the passive cooling on that board. Will be close, but will make it.

They are also very good at cooling the quads.......... non "50" series.

Secondly, I don't know what the other poster is talking about. That cooler is one of the quietest I've ever heard. Me thinks he needs to get his super hearing checked......................

:lol: :lol: Yeah, right, super hearing indeed, I wish :D

Why I wouldn't call the Zalman quietest... It produces 46.9 Decibels under load, while a lot of other models produce only 38.3 Decibels. For example the Thermalright Ultima-90 cools better and makes less noise.

15301.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/thermalright ultima 90_08150750829/15305.png
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068&p=5

And how many of these have you used in the past three weeks ? And how many machines have you sat next to with the side OFF in the past three weeks ? And how fast do you have the fan speed set ?

I do respect anandtech for there great reporting on hardware, but the proof is in the pudding. If you don't use or don't install these things, don't make comment based on somebody's graphs.

True, there are many "quiet" heatsinks and fans on the market, but what you personnaly stated about the 9700 is wrong !

So you respect Anandtech, but you think it's wrong for people to trust their numbers or talk about them. Why do they even bother writing these reviews then... If I give you links to other reviews from ExtremeTech or xbitlabs that show the same thing, your answer will be the same, I guess.

I considered getting the Zalman 9700, read a lot of comparative reviews, listened to one in the shop, and decided to pass. It wasn't so much the noise level, but the annoying frequency.

chefswg

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I have the Zalman 9700 in my Antec 900 gaming case. I don't care about noise, obviously, and I'm sure there are others like me. I for one don't hear nothing when I'm gaming with 600watt speakers masking whatever sound is coming from the case. Also the Zalaman 9700 LED IMO is a much better looking cooler to look at through a view window. If I were an extreme overclocker I definately would wont the best possible cooling option which the charts seem to point towards the Thermalright product.