Core Temp vs Intel TAT accuracy

Nindjc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I overclocked my E6750 last night to 3.36 (420 x 8) to get a performance boost. The problem is when I test the temperatures with Core Temp and TAT I get very different readings. Sometimes Coretemp will be 18C higher than TAT. I am idleing at 22-27C with TAT and around 33-39C with CT. Under stress tests I never pass 60C with TAT but I go into the upper 70s with CT. Of course I want to believe TAT, but don't want to burn up my C2D. Does anyone know which is more accurate, or if they have had similar results? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

You should read Comp's guide.

Note 4: The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which would equate to Prime95 at 114% Workload. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktops CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c. It is therefore recommended that TAT be used for extreme thermal testing only, and temps regarded as unreliable.

The next question is which version of CoreTemp are you using? The older version does not read the new G0 stepping processors correctly. I don't know if TAT reads the properly Tjunction max, and if it was reading the older Tjunction max than the 15C that it would cause it to be off to begin with + 2-3C offset as indicated by Comp = 17-18C off.

I would trust CoreTemp/Beta SpeedFan, as they are made for it. TAT is not made for it.

Nindjc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I am using CoreTemp 0.95.4, I tried using speedfan, but I was a little confused about which temperature was which. It has Local, Remote, HD0, and HD1 temps. I assume HDs are my hard drive temps, but other than that I wasn't sure. I am still relatively new at OCing, so forgive my ignorance. Thank you for your reply.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

No problem, read Comp's guide at the top to calibrate and figure out all the stuff in Speedfan. :)

TRENDING THREADS