Verizon Fios + Wireless Repeater/Range Extender -Please Help

Oct 24, 2008
I've been doing research on some moderately priced wireless repeaters, but it seems they don't work unless you have the same brand as the original AP. Seeing as I have a Verizon Fios router connected to the main computer in my house I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem setting up stand-alone repeater in another location.

Could anyone with experience please recommend a repeater that should work fine, or at least give me some tips to send me in the right direction, as I'm kind of in a time-crunch right now, and don't want to rush into something that's just a headache.

I was looking at the LINKSYS WAP54G originally

I appreciate any help.

gstefanick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Thats a very good question. You are right most vendors don't cross mix well. When doing a repeating solution your always best to match.

Looks like you're in a pickle. Did you research if the VF router is an OEM from another vendor ?

Another thing you can do is connect directly into the VF router with another AP and shut off the wireless on the VF and bridge out from there...

Oct 24, 2008

I'd like to do this in the most cost-efficient way possible, and buying another AP just to plug into the original router seems like a major waste. It's a decent router to begin with.

And no, I can't find any vendor info on the Verizon router, looks custom.

I'm sure there has to be a Fios customer out there with experience here. Verizon customer service even told me to use a repeater, but couldn't tell me which model to use, specifically.

ironhide

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Good day!

Usually modem/router provided by an ISP works only as a standard modem/router without speacial features specifically repeating a signal.

An access point will only work with another access point and not to another router unless that router is wds(wireless detection system) compliant.I'm afraid that you should consider providing another AP for your setup.

guyland123

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I was in the same boat.

I did the following.

I disabled the wireless in the FIOS router.
I purchased a Linksys SRX 400 (MIMO router, the N routers weren't out yet).
I also purchased a linksys srx4 card.

I disable dhcp on the linksys, and just use it as a switch, and for wireless.

I now get great connection throughout the house. The laptop wireless client says
something ridiculous like 270Mbs on the connection, but I don't believe it.
But my connection now works through the entire house without any problems.
My other laptop with a 802.11 G card works fine, and says 35-54 at all times.

Just a suggestion, as you may be able to get a deal on a wireless N router, and have that work through your entire house, without having to mess with the access points.

csteed

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Also you could just drop a cat5 cable to another access point at the remote location. This would be more reliable than a repeater. Just use different channels for the fios wireless router and the remote access point, other than different SSID's, the setup should work well.