Slow posting with an Asrock 775i65g :(

Radiux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Hi everyone, Im a newbie so please be gentle :D

I have an Asrock 775i65g motherboard running a Core 2 duo and1gb ddr400 ram, the problem is that the motherboard takes an abnormally long time to post, let me explain:

When I press the power on button everything starts (fans, Dvd drives, leds)...but the system doesnt post until exactly 20 seconds later, but when it finally post everything is detected fast and the system is totally stable. (tested 2 consecutive DAYS with orthos)

Ive tried to boot without everything but essentials (1 ram module &cpu/fan)
with the same result

edit: also i recently updated the bios with the latest one, without any result.

>my system specs:
-core 2 duo 4400
-asrock 775i65g rev 2.04 bios 3.20
-1gb ddr400 kingston
-120gb maxtor
-dvdram & cdrw lg
-geforce 6600 agp
-antec 450watt PSU (also tried anothers)

any help will be very very aprecciated!!

Radiux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Thanx for posting!

Yes, i did a fresh install with low level format!, im almost convinced that the motherboard is kinda faulty, but i want to spend al my chances before asking for a refund, Ive read two o three similar threads related to exactly the same problem and motherboard in different forums, maybe the motherboard has problems with cetain cpu steppings..who knows, someone out there with the same mobo?

When you say it takes 20 secs to post what exactly do you see on the monitor during those 20 secs. If you see the 'splash' screen ) a logo of some sort) you should go into the BIOS and turn off 'dispaly logo' (or however they refer to it) and then you might see what is hanging up the system.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
My Asrock 775i65G just started doing this as well. Not 20 seconds, but ~10 seconds to post. Before this week, it would usually take 2 to 3 seconds. Only real change in the past week was a switch from an FX 5200 card to a Ti200, and a switch from DDR 400 ram to DDR 333 (different brands). I didn't uninstall/reinstall video drivers as the same Forceware (56.56) is used for each card. Changes in the past month include a switch to a SATA 1 HDD (from PATA). I'll look into it and get back to you to see what I can figure out. More than likely I'll just swap things back one by one to see what makes it boot normally again.

Mondoman

Splendid
Even if the cards use the same driver installation package, the drivers are at a minimum configured differently for the two boards, and may use different files from the same driver package. Uninstall the video drivers and install them again.

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Do you have the quick memory test option turned off in CMOS. This option is sometimes called fast boot. If you do then POST does a data test of all of memory rather just checking each of the address lines and a little random data. That could lengthen POST quite a bit. Your drives etc. are not detected until after that memory test is done giving the scenario that OP describes.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

It's not the problem anyway, as it no video driver is needed to POST. Anyhow, I played with it a little last night, and came the to conclusion that there's nothing I can do to fix it. It's not a video card issue, as I even ran with just the IGP, still long POST. Put the PATA drive in, long POST, switched RAM, long POST. removed everything but the bare essentials, long post. Cleared CMOS, long post. Nothing fixed it. Seems to me like it sounds like the optical drives are being cycled at least twice before the video card bios shows up on the screen. That's what is happening before it POSTs. A little annoying, but nothing to be concerned about, as performance is the same as it's always been.

mlek

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I had a similar problem with an old socket A board. It turned out to be something with a PCI Lan card. I don't know why it should make a difference to POST, but I changed the card and it worked fine.

Radiux

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
hi everyone, well the problem persist, but first let me answer some questions:

1)
When you say it takes 20 secs to post what exactly do you see on the monitor during those 20 secs. If you see the 'splash' screen ) a logo of some sort) you should go into the BIOS and turn off 'dispaly logo' (or however they refer to it) and then you might see what is hanging up the system.

well, i dont see anything, just a blank screen

2)
Do you have the quick memory test option turned off in CMOS
there is no option like that in bios :(

It's not the problem anyway, as it no video driver is needed to POST. Anyhow, I played with it a little last night, and came the to conclusion that there's nothing I can do to fix it. It's not a video card issue, as I even ran with just the IGP, still long POST. Put the PATA drive in, long POST, switched RAM, long POST. removed everything but the bare essentials, long post. Cleared CMOS, long post. Nothing fixed it. Seems to me like it sounds like the optical drives are being cycled at least twice before the video card bios shows up on the screen. That's what is happening before it POSTs. A little annoying, but nothing to be concerned about, as performance is the same as it's always been

thats exactly my situation, everything starts, but the motherboard will post only after 20 seconds or so.

I´ve read in another forum that flashing bios with version 3.10 solves this behavior, but i dont feel very confident about doing that. (bios downgrade)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'm using Bios 2.90. Funny thing was that it would usually post a bit sooner than this before. This is my 2nd 775i65G. First one was a Rev 1.1, so no C2D support. Bought a Rev. 2.0 six months later and sold the Rev 1.1. Neither of the boards did a slow post.

TBH, update the BIOS on this board is pretty painless, just get out a floppy an download the BIOS update. It'll tell you what to do from there. I'm not going to bother. Waiting an extra 5 seconds isn't a big enough PITA to get my attention.

Pinaki28

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm using the same Asrock board 775i65g , with the default/orig bios
3.00 , core2duo e4400 (prev'ly pentium d 805 then 820) , 1 Gb (512x2)
kingston valueram DDR400 , Geforce Fx5200 128mb . The same thing's been happening here .The board sometimes even momentarily power off during POST and then boots up just fine . The board has no onboard beeper/speaker , so u have to add one (there is pin-out) if u want to hear the POST beeps .I know it powers-off and back-on cause i can hear the off-on "diggh" noise on my large attached sub-woofer .When it boots it works just fine .I'm running slackware 11 on it . It's been like this ever since purchase about in dec 2006 , WITHOUT any ill effects so far . i'm only a little afraid it might damage/cause data-loss/corruption on one of my two harddrives cause of the moments power-loss during spin-up .Nothing bad has happnd so far .
The good thing is this board is darned rock-stable and evryting on it works with linux , including cpu-frequency-scaling(acpi-cpu-freq module) , i-TCO-wdt watchdog-timer , chipset thermal monitor (winbond w83627ehf) as well as intel-cpu-embedded "coretemp" , nice sound , LAN , AGP-bus , adaptec 2940uw scsi card, my serial-port IR reciever , tv-tuner , 3com lan card , i2c-bus ..... i mean evrything guys . (btw my adaptec 2940uw or an 39160 didn't work on an intel original D945gccr board !!!!!) .
It's certainly NOT an driver issue , cause it happens without any hard-drive attached too . Neither ANY of the bios settings , i've tried them all . It MAY be an thermal check issue or a bios "feature" ..... i dunno ,
And i WON't update the bios unless it breaks .

Ray_GTI-R

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Original problem:-
an Asrock 775i65g motherboard running a Core 2 duo and1gb ddr400 ram ... the system doesnt post until exactly 20 seconds later, but when it finally post everything is detected fast and the system is totally stable.

I have tested about a dozen 775i65G's, various board revisions from 2.03 to 2.14 using a Q6600, CL2 DDR (3 varieties) and lots of 4X & 8X graphics cards from ATI & Nvidia.

The problem is - there is no problem!

Let me explain my take on the situation ... with a 1066mhz FSB CPU the 775i65G detects the FSB speed of the CPU and then has to overclock the FSB from the regular 800mhz of the RAM all the way up to 1066mhz. It does this by automatically increasing the RAM FSB to 266ghz (quad-bumped = 1066). It then has to check that the overclock is stable ... this takes time.

With a regular 800mhz FSB CPU e.g., an 820 Pentium D and DDR400 RAM the asme board will boot up much more quickly, although I wouldn't exactly call it fast.

It's irritating, I know, and I haven't found it documented anywhere but every board I've fitted the Q6600 1066mhz CPU into has the same boot-up time lag ... and works perfectly. Once you understand why and accept that the boot/reboot takes some time it's no big deal.

HTH, Ray

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Very nice! A real expert answers on Toms H.! It's not what you hear or what you got. It's how many times you actually done it in real life that gives the true EXPERT answer! Too many replies I hear xxx, I read it on xxx (or also known as yadda yadda yadda) and xxx sucks etc.

Thanks Ray, or if your hosin us, one hell of a salesman, sell me a bridge over land....

And nice use of periods and breaks!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
except for the fact that I get the same boot delay, using a Pentium D 805, at 133 MHz (533 fsb quad pumped) with ddr ram running 1:1 (i.e. at pc2100/ddr266 speeds), so while your theory sounds good, I don't think it's the complete story. Nevertheless, as you said, there really is nothing wrong. The board takes a bit of time to post, yes, but it still works just as great as the day I bought it almost a year ago now.

Ray_GTI-R

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
I promise all of my posts are true, real life & accurate. I would not waste anyone's time unless I could back it up with evidence & facts. Also, I do not sugar-coat anything.

I get the same boot delay, using a Pentium D 805, at 133 MHz (533 fsb quad pumped) ... ddr pc2100/ddr266.

Can't replicate that but ... coincidentally, over the past 3 days I have run a 775i65g Rev G/A 2.04 with PC2100 (because it's a faulty board & would not run DDR400 / PC3200). It does take a while to decide that it'll work at all - matched with a Pentium D 820 (800mhz FSB). When I fit any kind of DDR400 it fails (posts OK, but Windows 98SE / XP Pro SP3 / Vista Ultimate all puke up) .. 256mb x 2, 512mb x 2, 1gb x 1 or 2 - it makes no difference. Same situation with both BIOS version 2.90 & 3.20 (upgarading a known faulty board is truly a leap of faith).

Oh - and the chassis fan header RPM sensor on this 775i65G board has just (today) failed whilst testing a new 12V 0.05A fan. This is the second 775i65G that I've had this problem with - the first one also went on to blow a 1.2A fuse on that header. That was 3 months ago and I'm still waiting for RMA.

A bit sad really since I have been running two P4i65G/V (same 865 Northbridge chipset) boards in my home PCs for about 2 years with no similar issues/failures.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Never did I accuse you of inaccuracy or bending of the truth. I'm saying that your theory isn't the complete reason to slow posting on this board, as evidenced by my own observations.

The PC2100 I'm referring to has to do with the ram timings. It is pc3200 ram, just set to run 1:1 with FSB. My 775965g board(s) used to boot within 2-3 seconds using the same ram/timings. In reading your last message, it seems that your faulty board is too much a confounding factor to establish a causality between increased boot times and pc2100 ram timings with any sort of confidence. Not that I care what the true root cause ends up being. Too trivial to matter when the board runs flawlessly otherwise.

If it makes you feel better, the chassis fan rpm is never worked with either of my boards, but I believe that has more to do with the Dell thermistor fan than the boards. Also, my Rev 1.0 board did not have Quiet Fan, regardless of BIOS version used. Thought you would like that tidbit of info.

Now, if you could channel your analytical skills into discovering a way to make these boards enter s3 standby, I would be truly impressed.

Ray_GTI-R

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Never did I accuse you of inaccuracy
Yeah I know.
your faulty board is too much a confounding factor to establish a causality between increased boot times and pc2100 ram timings with any sort of confidence
Yeah I know.
But like I said, the other 10 or so boards acted in exactly the same way ... so I believe there is simply no problem as per the original post (Slow boot times).
board(s) used to boot within 2-3 seconds
I've never had any PC boot in 2-3 seconds. Even my Atari 1024STE takes longer than that ... with the OS built into the ROM. I think we have to define what is meant by "boot" here. What I mean is that the PC completes the POST process and hands over control to the OS or, if you have pressed F2, enters the BIOS update screen. It takes 20 seconds or so with a Quad-core 1066mhz FSB CPU running CL2.5 or better 800mhz RAM that requires Dynamic Overclocking Technology to get from 200mhz to a stable 266mhz (x 4).
the chassis fan rpm is never worked with either of my boards, but I believe that has more to do with the Dell thermistor fan ...
Nope- I've tested T&T, Evercool, Intel, Papst, Coolermaster & Superred fans - a right old mix of thermistor & non-thermistor fans. Then one day each board decided to stop recognising RPMs. The latest one was, as I said, when fitting a very small current draw fan that I was checking for functionality, with the motherboard switched on and in the BIOS Health Check screen. I suspect the fan header circuit is poorly protected from electrical spikes caused by fitting the fan "on the fly".
...of any description (runs away).

Sorry, I'm retiring from this thread now. I've said my piece.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Slow posts on this board are not just limited only to Conroe 1066 bus processors. I think that is the key point to take away from this thread.

EDIT: Also, the guy above me is a total tool. He knew what I meant when I said boot, he's just being a prick. Finally, now that I've had time to test out my Dell fan on another motherboard (GF7050v-m7), I find that it STILL does not show the fan rpms. I was right....Dell fans won't feed back their RPMs in a non-dell motherboard. Simple as that. Enough of this crack pot.

Byros

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I also have this motherboard (775i65g)

First I had a Pentium D 945 (800mhz Bus) CPU on it and the post time was normal,
then I upgraded to a Q6600 (1066 Bus) CPU and I experienced the same
long post issues as the OP (20 to 30 seconds that felt like forever)

The workaround was rather easy, on the BIOS screen I just set
CPU Host Frequency to manual, and the actual frequency to 266.
now my post time is 2-3 seconds always. (I also set my memory to manual)

By default this setting is set to AUTO, and even though it works fine
that's what causes the long post time as Ray explained before,
so the "key" here is not to use defaults or auto settings,
just look at what works for you and set it manually

I really like this board, it has been great so far and I've had for a long time.

My specs:
Asrock 775i65g Rev A2 - BIOS 3.20
Q6600 - Rev G0
2GB PC3200 Kingston RAM
Nvidia AGP GeForce 6800 GS

Hope that helps...

Geforce256

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I use Asrock 775i65G too, and I think problem with strap like a syncronous mode or (SPD) on only DDR400 will take slow post. I set CMOS to 266 and 333 it's work fine, I used E2140 FSB800 and set memory to DDR400 (1:1) it slow post too, when I set to DDR266-333 it boot fine, when I overclock FSB to 266 (QDR 1066) and use memory speed to 400 it's boot lag but not with DDR266 and DDR333.
*Please read manual with 1066 CPU FSB it tell you to use 2.5 CL of memory and use with VGA AGP Card!

lucaf

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hello folks,

I was struggling whole yesterday with my Asrock 775i65G rev 2.03 with latest bios from january 2009.

I was playing with memory modules, and happened that whatever memory module combinations I had, the post delay began to increase, and finally it did not post anymore, or very occasionally when DVD drive was disconnected.

Also my operating system got messed up (win 7), and when I got it booting, it went black during the OS boot.

Finally I realized there must be lack of power supply, it had only 350w power supply, and I had an Radeon X1650 videocard in the AGP slot. I removed the videocard and connected to the integrated VGA and voila, all the post delays are gone, and finally also the system restore managed to fix the OS.

What I still do not understand, is that the motherboard detects my 1GB ddr modules as 512MB modules.
I had two of these installed
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-KHX3200AK2-1G-PC3200-Non-ECC/dp/B0000A604S
And bios/OS says I have only 2x512MB /333Mhz!