Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I have a 1.8 Ghz with Geforce 3 right now, and its time to move up. I've been scrounging around on and off for about 2 weeks, and here's what I was thinking:

Video: GeForce 8800 GTS
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speaker System
RAM: Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
Motherboard: Asus P5KE/WIFIAP
Hard drive: Barracuda 7200.10, 320GB
Disk Drive: Lite-On LH-20A1H 20x "Super AllWrite" DVD±RW/RAM
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply
Case: Xclio Wind Tunnel Black Tower

What about it? Compatible? Reliable? Enough cooling and power? I've actually never built a computer before, and I'm going on fewer hard facts than I'd like. Any help would be very much appreciated.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Looks like a good set-up you've got selected. That PSU should be just fine, and so should the case, air-flow wise.

What kind of a budget are you looking at for your computer?
Do you need to purchase an operating system for it?
Also, what is going to be the primary use of the computer?
What resolutions do you like to do things at? (Playing games or otherwise)

Helps to know things like that when offering advise. It does look like a good build regardless though.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Great. That's encouraging.
I do a bit of web development and a few other things. A good bit of multitasking, but nothing involving much burning.
I'll play games on it, but I'm not looking for 1900 resolution here. 1600, or maybe lower on games like oblivion. I'm not spending another $500 so I can put the game up on a big lcd. Wheeling my chair closer to the monitor is just so much cheaper...
As for OS, I'm sticking with XP pro until Vista runs the gauntlet a few times.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I wasn't planning on overclocking initially. I was putting it off because I've never done it before. Is that something I should just do right off the bat? If I do it, do I need to buy another fan or anything else?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
There are guides out there on how to overclock. the choice is yours if you want to. If you play to overclock I'd recommend nabbing a q6600 if that's the case. Applications and games will take a turn for multi threading. Considering your current rig is a bit dated it'd be wise to invest in something to last a few years...Afterall. Core 2 duo's are great..but if you plan to use this rig for a few years it'd be wise to get a quad core to benefit the change to multi threaded applications.If you plan not to OC the e6750 should do you fine since it has a faster clock speed..choice is yours. If you do play to OC try to get some higher CFM case fans and a aftermarket cooler...A tuniq tower 120 or Thermalright ultra120 extreme should do the deal for you.

I have a tuniq tower and I love it. Although I think it was the ultra120 extreme where people were commenting that the heatsink contact point wasn't flat..and they had to lap the heatsink. Let someone else comment on this though since I don't have a ultra120...

If you do plan to OC try to get a bigger PSU...just to be safe. Depending on how much you want to OC that is...Although the one you chose should do you find..a 2nd comment on this aspect would be great...

If you do plan to overclock do not do it right off the bat. Run your computer for a week to a month...if you break it in with stress testing tools that test everything you can do it in a week or two. Although I always wait a while before I start the oc..I make sure I break everything in. If you don't break in your hardware you can risk a sudden death failure which isn't good...

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

It isn't something you have to do off the bat. If you weren't OCing, your RAM was overkill.

Unless you honestly intend to overclock beyond 3.2ghz, this is fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208329

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

I agree completely.

The Tuniq is generally considered the best. I don't know much knowledge on the Ultra120 either.

I personally think that the HX520 is fine. Unless you're going to be trying to go beyond 3.2ghz on a quad-core with an 8800GTX, it should be fine.

I don't think you can have sudden death without A. A bad PSU or B. OCing all willy-nilly in giant jumps or C. having a P4 Northwood. I may be off, though.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I would like to OC, but would still like to take a look at the running system first. So, just to keep my options open, I'd like the hardware that I have to support it. I can always get another fan, but I would have to be sure of the case and the psu. If the psu is reasonable I'd like to stick with it, just because it got good reviews and is reasonably priced. As for the case, sounds like you both agree it would be important for when I do OC?
As I said, I don't know that much about overclocking, so I would be pretty moderate about it. Certainly not over 3.2.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Oops. Ok. Thought you guys were suggesting a new case. That's just cooling equipment. So much the better I guess.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Yea...I don't have a new rig myself. Running a 3.2 prescott and a x700 pro atm. Getting a complete enthusiast rig in the next few months. But the Corsair HX520 is a Tier 2 powersupply. Which is a great thing. I personally always go for Tier 2 or Tier 1. So you definitely nabbed a very reliable power supply. Regarding the sudden death comment...I've read on a few OC articles that OC'ing right from the start wasn't recommended...And that you should break in your hardware before you OC...I'm not sure if this is 100% true but I'd rather be safe then sorry. If someone could comment on this that would help put this myth to rest or validate the claim.

But regarding building pc's..It's a sinch so don't stress out about it. I put my first computer together 3 builds ago. If you have a little knowledge on removing hard drives, and memory...You pretty much have everything you need to know. As long as you understand what each piece does and where they go you'll be fine. Even if you second guess yourself the motherboard manual will calm your nerves...most of them are very informative if it's your first build.

It's good though that you chose a fulltower case. Good airflow is vital if you want to OC...need to make sure everything stays cool. Although I haven't heard much from your case it does seem to do the trick. Looks pretty neat too ^_^...here are 2 other cases..Both from the same series but one has an additional cooling fan on the side...The Thermaltake Armor is quite popular...So you might want to look into it as well..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133154

Slightly more expensive...but it has 3 fan ports...2 in the box with a 120 and a 90 in the rear and one top exhaust fan. With my future build I'm going to be nabbing a Cooler Master Stacker 832...It's around 250..but can hold 9 120mm fans...lol..may be overkill but I want a case to use permanently for every build...and dump my old rigs into budget cases...so it should last me for years and years.

Your case should be fine..but I haven't heard much about it so just wanted to toss those 2 links to be safe.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I'm not sure about the whole quad core thing. Programming for two is hard enough. To specifically code for 4 would be quite a thing... (especially to do it in a meaningful, efficient way) Are you really expecting that sort of program any time soon?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well there are already lots of programs that do. Video editing rigs, 3d modeling, video encoding.....some top tier programs support multi threading. Also games are going to be switching over soon within the next couple of years...It does take more time to code multi threaded but the benefits are there...also as time passes it will become a standard of quality with time...It may not be huge now but as more people switch over it will become standard. Crysis is multi threaded as well...so quad cores will benefit...This is why I recommended quad if you're planning to OC....you may as well nab 4 cores and overclock them beyond the 6750 for more future use...I'm a video editor, encoder, 3d modeler, and the list goes on and on...so it's a no brainer for me. But it depends on your usages...But if you plan to OC do nab a quad core..it's not really the question if you will be using them...but to squeeze a year or two extra out of your rig...Down the line it's a better investment.

Phrawth

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for the case links. I would like to stick with something well-known. No sense blazing any trails here. 9 fans eh? I have an idea: Put your computer together without a case and drop it from a airplane. Your MTBF might suffer, but you'll get great venilation.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Noted ^_^..Although I'd need some extremely long wires to hook it up to my monitor...as well as some extremely long usb cables for my mouse and keyboard...plus the fact I'd have to replace the hardware every 3 minutes or so after the free fall shatters on upon impact...hmm...I think I'll just stick with the CM Stacker and 9 fans =P...

royalcrown

Distinguished
I think it is a cool system, but man that case is FUGLY, I am going for something with a lot of usb ports and firewire, what cood is a nice rig if it is a pain to connect stuff with it, if you are going to have it under the desk or on the floor like me, I would get something with the power,reset audio and usb on the top of the case, just a thought; cooler master and rosewill have a few cases like that.